Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Warrior Princess ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 11:25PM

Had to spend some time today with mo's from the distant family. There is a death in their family. Not had to spend time, I guess...wanted to. However, I became puzzled that they seek me out at their most devastaing moments in life.

I seldom see them otherwise. They came to me before going to their closer family members. But, they are right here when it's dire. I wondered if I am comforting to them.

And they left me wondering when they made some remarks about how I'm such a genuine girl and so accepting of everyone. And that they seldom see people like that.

And my thoughts were that it's because "you are seldom with non mormons. And mormons are so judgemental." I don't think they intentionally set out to be. But, it's the culture of "oerfection seeking." And I thought to myself that the lack of acceptance in the church is one reason I had just had enough.

Still, they don't know that I'm gone. They spoke of temples, and covenants and things that stay upper most in the mormons mind. I had been thinking of telling them how I really feel. But, thought better not to destroy their hope in my salvation. They are older and it would only cause devastation.
So, I made a decision not to tell them anything at all about my discovery that I was raised and made miserable in a cult.

What do you think? Should I have told them? What makes the difference for you when you decide to share?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 02:15AM

They've got enough to deal with already. You did the right thing.

And it speaks well of you that they wanted to see you first.

Posted by: Warrior Princess ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 04:47AM

Thank you. I think you are right. A death is a lot to deal with and they are using their hope in religion in a huge way right now.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 05:37AM

I agree with imaworkinonit. Your relatives have enough on their plates right now. In time, you might want to give them a hint or two that you are not totally on board with the church's view of things. But I would avoid full disclosure for the time being.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 06:11AM

I would hesitate to get into church discussions with someone having to deal with death.

In fact you never have to discuss it with anyone unless you want to. Exceptions would be a spouse and kids who do have a right to know.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.