Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gayle ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 02:45PM

Encourages young people to get married at a young age---even if all their family and friends tell them to wait.

The March issue is not online yet, but it's called..."The Right Time to Marry."

"Many people around me--at home, at school, and at work--were very concerned about how this relationship would affect my education," Ane says. "They would question whether I even knew this relationship was going to last."

Where else would you get such encouragement to marry at a young age. And, where else would you have the "EXPERTS" being a couple of young people who now have a baby and have been married only a year or two, who are struggling to get through school and working, etc. What proof do we have that their marriage will make it?

This is so wierd.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 02:53PM

I think that is the reason for lowering the missionary age. Get them on a mission right out of high school before they can be exposed to real life. They then come home by age 20, and are pushed to get married immediately and start a family. Usually they are primed to go to a church school by this point.

This is a control tactic called ISOLATION and it is probably the last best hope the TSCC has in hanging on to these kids now that they are fighting the internet for their souls.

It is unconscionable to push children to marry solely for the sake of getting married. Marriage should be a tool for building a great life. It should not be a wrecking ball to destroy your individuality.

Posted by: Probitas ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 03:17PM

Agreed...The Morg virus is mutating in order to survive the deluge of info the internet is providing young, curious, wandering minds. Locking them down early with a mission and eternal marriage is a deft move by the corp that is undoubtedly looking 15, 30, 50 years in future wondering where the consistent US tithing base is going to come from.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 06:23PM

Thinking decades into the future? I see it as a desperate reaction to stop immediate hemorrhaging. Read-on below for other "insights" to this policy... ( I think Mr. Neutron is spot-on.)

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 10:55PM

You've got that right blueorchid. The Mormons use just about every brainwashing and mind control technique ever invented. Their assertion that they "are not a cult" is absolutely laughable.

I came across this website that describes the Mormon method to a tee, even though it applies to all thought-controlling organizations.

http://www.phinnweb.org/neuro/brainwash/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2013 10:56PM by canadianfriend.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 11:29PM

Thank you. That list is so telling. This is a nugget I am saving for my arsenal.

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 03:06PM

I don't know if BYU is still doing this but they used to push the students to get through university in four years or less. Less was better because it cost TSSC less money to herd students through their education. G.A.s said they should get married right off their mission and wives should not work but have kids right away.

I watched one TBM young man trying to work full-time, go to school full-time, have two kids, keep a garden, and hold down a church leadership position without a second income from wife. In my opinion it's a recipe for disaster. Never knew what became of that neo-family.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 03:09PM

Unless I'm mistaken, statistics show that the older you marry the higher success rate there is for your marriage. Anyone know if this has changed?

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 06:09PM

According to Dr. Phil...

Optimal age is 27... Of course, by the time you're 27, you're a major threat to the church... You are thinking way too much for their comfort...

Posted by: musicangelgirlamonforthis ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 04:27AM

John_Lyle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> According to Dr. Phil...
>
> Optimal age is 27... Of course, by the time you're
> 27, you're a major threat to the church... You are
> thinking way too much for their comfort...

I would have to agree with 27 being z good age. I was engaged at 19 to a real piece of work it didn't go through thank god. I just got married this year and just turned 27 I met the right person and I really had no business getting engaged so young the first time. I was young and stupid I am so glad I waited till I was older the wait was worth it.

Posted by: seeking peace ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 05:04PM

I would say that family was us--except we had three children at the time. And, where are we now-posting on RFM!!

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 03:13PM

It's weird, but this isn't any different to what the church has been saying the past 20 years at least.

But when I used to go to church, I remember some youth saying they don't want to get married that young, which was good. At least some of them are thinking for themselves.

Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 03:27PM

I thought they were getting off this kick! Unbelievable. They get the bishops to work for free, and now those untrained clergymen and counselors get to handle even more disastrous marriages. At the same time, the single peers of these young married types are going to stay the hell away from the missionaries.

They are adopting a failing business plan. They are just out of ideas.

Posted by: theskippyrabbit ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 04:16PM

I don't like my mum for being brainwashed in being mormon, but man I'm glad she used to tell me opposite stuff to what everyone else was getting fed!

She told me to finish school, study and/or work, be independent, don't worry about finding a partner, look after myself first and heaps of other gems that have helped me through the years.

Screw doing what tscc tells you to do!

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 04:23PM

It will be interesting to see what happens when these kids hit the 30 year mark, and they suddenly realize they missed out on having any fun in their younger years.

The mormon therapists are called in. Then the attorney's. The single mom and her kids still go to church because they need the welfare help. It's all a disaster waiting to happen.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 04:55PM

Don't get this rush to get married thing...I know of a young lady who was temple married and held a recommend up until this past year....she was 24 and had three children. Split up with hubby, is now going to University and is sporting tats, bare arms and piercings. Talk about a 180 degree turn...feel sorry for the kids though.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 05:33PM

As a TBM young adult, I noticed my female friends getting married in two distinct waves. Half of my friends got married about a year after high school - age 19, maybe 20. The other half all lamented how YOUNG they were, how we couldn't imagine being married at this point in our lives, how we still wanted to go to school and have fun!

Then, there was this pleasant lull for several years where I didn't have to attend a single bridal shower. Baby showers for the early batch of brides, but no bridal showers. Then, suddenly, the rest of my friends all got married about age 24-26. I don't think I had any female friends who got married at age 21-23. It was this weird gap. Anyone else notice this?

Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 05:37PM

I remember being 21 and trying to finish my degree while working part-time to pay bills and - oh yeah - caring for a new baby. We couldn't afford anything, and our heater was set at 50 for most of that winter until my mother found out and paid our utilities for a few months. The bishop's advice? "Keep paying your tithing and the Lord will take care of you." My god, if I could go back in time and talk to the young me... I would scream at the top of my lungs DON'T DO IT!!!!

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 05:43PM

Are Anne and Benjamin even real?

Posted by: Duwayne Anderson ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 05:51PM

I hadn't read the Ensign in about a decade (at least the paper copy). The other day my wife showed a copy to me. She got it from the home teachers -- personal friends who still drop by (and are very welcome, too) even though I resigned from the cult, and my wife is no longer active.

Anyway, I was struck by how *stupid* the Ensign is. I'm not talking about the message (although that is stupid, too) -- I'm talking about the way they've dumbed the magazine down. It looks like it's double spaced, and it's written at a grade school level.

I also noticed that the pictures and format are a lot like my memory of the Jehovah's Witnesses magazines (Jesus has a short beard and looks like Hugh Jackman, they are careful to make the pictures look multicultural and ethnic, etc.).

"My," I thought, "things have really gone downhill (intellectually speaking, that is).

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 06:38PM

Sounds like "the best and brightest" have stopped subscribing.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 06:51PM

Hey, it's easier now to translate into the most important language on earth (besides Holy English)---Spanish!

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 08:44PM

Ditto that on JW art work. The few times I've seen the "Enzyme" in the past couple of years, I have thought it must be from the same artists that brought us the goofy TJ (Temoin de Jehovah) paintings and magazines. Maybe all the religious art comes from a sweat shop in China.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 09:24PM

It is looking more like the "Friend".

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 06:12PM

I'm going to go out on a limb here to say this: The only time most TBMs bother to read the Ensign is when they absolutely have to read it in order to do a hometeaching or visiting teaching lesson. About a year ago, I started intercepting these magazines at the mailbox and threw them in the outside trash containers before they even got into the house. I even threw away the renewal notices. The magazines still come. I still throw them away. My TBM wife hasn't noticed at all. Or at least, she hasn't said anything.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 06:36PM

Why don't you call and have the address changed to someone you cannot stand.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 06:54PM

Posted by: mrsdonquijote ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 07:47PM

I think they advise people to get married younger because the faster they marry the less chance of premarital sex. Maybe they are having a bigger problem with that now so they are asking people to marry younger while they are still worthy.

Posted by: grubbygert nli ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 08:07PM

premarital sex is not a problem (even to the Mormon church) - loss of tithing, however, is a big problem

the faster TSCC can get them married the more likely the cult is to receive a lifetime supply of tithing checks

Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 09:51PM

Encouraging people to marry in their late teens - early 20's is INSANE!! Talk about a recipe for disaster - at some point at least one of them is going to grow up a bit and they will both change tremendously. Chances are either they will both end up staying in a miserable marriage or will get divorced.

Oh, I forgot, that's not the point though. It's not about people being happy, the point is to keep them from experiencing anything outside of TSCC that might make them start thinking for themselves and withholding that all-important$$$!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 11:39PM

is it 'just me', or does it appear 'EVERYTHING' the Morg is teaching is like trying to paddle a Battleship upstream with a teaspoon lately.

sheesh.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.