Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: moe ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 06:24PM

Just FYI..
The mag has 79 pages and it mentions tithing 61 times

Mormon 8:32

Yeah , it shall come in a day when there shall be churches built up and say; Come unto me, and for your money you shall be forgiven of your sins

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moe ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 06:27PM

moe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
By the way most of the stories use the old ..I never had enough until I paid and magically we got a refund or money back, overpaid a bill or I did my math wrong in my checkbook.

Isn't it wonderful , Isn't it marvelous

vomit

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 02:23AM

It's lovely!

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 06:29PM

The share holders (Big 15) must be complaining.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 10:31AM

Daddy needs a new armored car!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 08:56PM

The In Sin is nothing but a propaganda arm of Mormonism. The magazine's obssession with money collections reveals the true desire of the leaders--personal wealth.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 09:07PM

Religion is not about God. It's about power and money. You get people to give you money and you get to tell them what to do.

The Mormon Church is not unique in this. They just give by far the lowest ROI of any major Christian religion.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 09:10PM

Should I ask my mormon friends to look into this? I no longer get the mag. Maybe they won't mind counting that. Do you think it might cause some cog dis?

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 09:42PM

http://www.lds.org/ensign/2013/03?lang=eng

If you include the words "tithe" and "tithes" you can get it even higher. There are an awful lot of articles on tithing.

Do you think they're trying to create a brain worm for when that tax return shows up? Holy cow, it's a miracle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2013 09:44PM by crom.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 09:54PM

General conference is coming up. I wonder what the theme will be? Pay up or else?

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 12:15AM

Well that's not subliminal at all........ Or, maybe both subliminal and overt...

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 01:16AM

The reason is very simple... It's tax refund season here in the U.S. TSCC wants another crack at getting some of that. They know the the sheeple are too stupid to realize they've already paid tithing on that money and will simply fall all over their gullible guilt-ridden selves to pay some more.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 02:40AM

'The Blessings of Tithing' article is particularly horrible. It's a load of stories from members around the world who describe their struggle to pay tithing due to financial challenges (first two individuals are in Bolivia and El Salvador). They then decide to pay tithing and of course, attribute any blessing to this decision to pay.

It's pure manipulation that flies in the face of a recent GC talk where it was mentioned that we shouldn't expect tithing to necessarily bring about temporal blessings.

In one of the examples a lady describes just a feeling of peace as she decides to prioritise paying tithing before bills - we don't hear any outcome, so she could be living on the street and selling her body by now.

In anther story a lady describes how through paying tithing they were able to plant a vegetable garden and fruit trees and benefit from all of this produce. Wow! If it wasn't for tithing (reducing their ability to put food on the table) they would never have thought about such a clever idea?

This is all just so manipulative. Members are being taught to expect temporal blessings and that these blessings could be very simple things (essentially look for any small positive thing and associate it to tithing). They are also taught that even when no temporal blessings are obvious, the feelings of peace from doing so are the blessing (I.e feeling of peace = negation of TSCC induced guilt).

Posted by: GBoy ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 03:08AM

Throughout my life, I've seen pious, destitute TBM's pay tithing first but received no financial blessings (the Malachi promise??). And, that's not the worst, they were told by other TBM's that it was because they didn't pay it with "faith."

Sick.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 05:40AM

Maybe that's a good thing but I was connected long enough to see the trend.

Briggy

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 08:21AM

OP

Do you mean tithing is mentioned on 61 separate pages?
Or does it mention tithing 61 times on only a few pages?

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 08:24AM

Posted by: Humpty Pan ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 08:42AM

It always seemed to me that the real measure of Mormon Church cheapness was members must pay 10% of their income, but no free church magazines. You have to pay extra for the rags. At least JWs give you two free with each visit. Most any other organization would gladly give you a monthly copy of their publication for receiving even a few bucks donated each month.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 09:15AM

I read the Quinn book "extensions of power". When tithing was implemented, your first payment had to be 10% of your total net worth, then 10% of your increase. Bishops and Stake presidents skimmed a percentage off, so they had an incentive to squeeze those people. And First presidency and Quorum of the Twelve was exempt from paying it.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 10:50AM

OMG! Monson leads with another widow story!

"One day a few years ago, after taking care of matters at the office, I felt a strong impression to visit an aged widow who was a patient at a senior care center in Salt Lake City. I drove there directly."

Date: February 28, 2013 12:16AM

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 12:29AM

Well someone has to service--- I mean take care of them.

Funny thing, i've never heard a single talk or story by any widow that he ever went to visit.

Why doesn't he have any stories about visiting widowers? I'm sure they get lonely and need help too.

Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 12:30AM

" . . . and for your money you shall be forgiven of your sins."

WTF

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 12:38AM

You are a true believer. Blessings of the State, blessings of the masses. Thou art a subject of the divine, created in the image of Man, by the masses, for the masses. Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 12:44AM

Mobots are in full shake down mode. If the church was a whore, at least people would get some bang for their buck (and thus some value). But no, not even a hand job or a dry hump. And a simple BJ is way out of the question. It is not even worth discussing a little bit of bondage. Buy, hey, scrub those toilets!!!!

=====
The Lord has established the law of tithing, and because it is His law, it becomes our obligation to observe it if we love Him and have a desire to keep His commandments and receive His blessings. In this way it becomes a debt. The man who doesn’t pay his tithing because he is in debt should ask himself if he is not also in debt to the Lord. The Master said: “But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you” (Matthew 6:33).

Blessings Will Come

The payment of tithing strengthens faith, increases spirituality and spiritual capacity, and solidifies testimony. It gives the satisfaction of knowing one is complying with the will of the Lord. It brings the blessings that come from sharing with others through the purposes for which tithing is used. We cannot afford to deny ourselves these blessings. We cannot afford not to pay our tithing. We have a definite relationship to the future as well as to the present. What we give, and how we give, and the way we meet our obligations to the Lord has eternal significance.

Date: February 28, 2013 12:54AM

and wait for the mormons to baptize you after you're dead.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 03:01AM

> The payment of tithing strengthens faith,
> increases spirituality and spiritual capacity, and
> solidifies testimony. It gives the satisfaction of
> knowing one is complying with the will of the
> Lord.

Doesn't it feel good to obey?

(TSCC is a pretty good dom.)

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 01:00AM

I HAD to keep reading. What the 'ho is sayin is that you get peace, a LIGHTER burden, and an eternal family. So, stop yer whinnig, you get peace cleaning those toilets, and if you have lost everything, yer still alive right? A little cancer? Do ya still have two legs and two arms? Stop yer whinning then. And when you drop dead all will be just peachy.

Does not seem like a good investment, does it?

----------------------
I was in anguish. I began to wonder, “Why is this happening to me? I’m a good member. I pay my tithing. I attend my meetings and serve in my callings. My son is serving a mission. Why isn’t God supporting me in my righteous efforts? Where are the blessings that I should be harvesting? Why has everything gone so wrong when we have been trying so hard to do what is right?”

bla bla bla bla.

My business is still rebuilding; my brother is still gone. But what I’ve come to know is that God did not promise me wealth; He promised me peace. God did not promise to take my burdens from me; He promised to make them lighter. God did not promise to keep my brother from being subject to mortality; He promised that we would be family forever.

I still think about what those stairs have taught me. Our Heavenly Father doesn’t want me to take the metaphorical elevator. He wants me to climb those stairs, both in the temple and in the world, for His sake, for my own sake, for my family’s sake.

The stairs are still high—but now I climb them with joy.

Posted by: Widget ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 03:40AM

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 04:57AM

"Brother Stumbling, we notice you haven't paid any tithing this year."
"Bishop, that's because you can't tell me how last years tithing was spent."
*crickets*

Posted by: the one and only ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 10:06AM

I tried to do a search to see how many times Christ was mentioned, mentioned it said 9 thousand and some, I knew that couldn't be right. It was for the last 12 issues. Anyone care to walk me through searching just the March issue?

I think Christ has 24 mentions in the March issue.Wow

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2013 10:11AM by the one and only.

Posted by: anon2nite ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 12:30PM

Ever notice how the tithing stories are alway embellished with miraculous accounts of how paying always turned into a miracle?

from march issue.. paraphrasing the accounts after they paid when they had nothing.

*A Young man knocked on our door, reported that the lady had rented us the house at an incredibly low price and furnished.All we had were two boxes and a suitcase.

*Relatives told me to pay tithes to overcome my trials, I prayed on the bus and when I opened my eyes there was a pic on cieling of the bus of the savior. I realized then I needed to pay.
* I prayed and asked the branch pres if I could pay tithing and told I could not because I was not a member..... however I could pay 10% of my income as a donation.

*One sunday I got the courage up to tell Dale(no mo) that I was paying tithing. Dale stunned me by saying "I know" this was the first of many miracles. Now are cupboards are full.

*Husband lost his job,we struggled to pay our bills-husband frustrated I payed tithing first. We planeted a small garden and are garden and our garden flourished. Our plum tree almost broke from the weight of the fruit. We had extra produce for our neighbors.

* My husband a truck driver, our income would flucuate. July check was smaller and after all bills I would be $30 short with no more $$.
I paid tithing first and then found a cancelled check for $20 then I had made a $23 mistake in calculatinb my balance.
Now we had an extra $50 almost. Skipping tithing was not an option.

*My husband was laid off, after moving for a new job it was no longer available. No explanation.We wept, freinds asked if we still pay tithing.. the answer is always the same- we would be blessed. today my husband has a new job and we are making headway against our debts.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.