Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 07:29PM

FLDS forced teenage marriages=bad, but Joseph Smith telling teenage girls that they have to marry him or be punished (or him be punished)=divine inspiration.
FLDS "sister wives" are bad, but polygamy in in "their" church history was good.
"No choice" to leave FLDS church is bad but emotionally manipulating "their own" into staying is okay.

Why can TBMs oppose certain practices when others do them yet support them in their own history? I'm at the point right now where even if Joseph Smith were a prophet and he really did restore the church, I don't want to stand for many of the church's past and current ideals. How do TBMs do it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 08:19PM

I don't know. The only thing I can figure out is that they just shut their mind to it.

My very TBM friend can't watch any of the shows or news reports about the polygamists. It freaks her out to hear them praying the same exact prayers, singing the same songs, giving the same talks, and having the same things hanging on their walls. She can't explore it because it's too close to home.

She shuts it down, and out. She stays away from anything that might explain why they're so much like her, yet different. She has huge problems with polygamy. She's made her husband promise, in writing, that he'll never be sealed to anyone else.

When I told her that according to the D&C that means he'll never be able to be in the CK she literally plugged her ears and said Lalalalalala. So she couldn't hear me. Ok. I just shook my head and told her I feel sorry for her that she has to live with all that hanging over her life. Sick shit if you ask me.

Posted by: freckles ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 09:08PM

Reminds me of that song "turn it off" from the BOM musical....

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 09:13PM

The same way that there were and still are many factions that sprouted off of the original Mormon Church.

At one time, as I recall, I read about 16 different groups that broke off from the church in it's early days.

I think there are still more, besides the FLDS and the Community of Christ aka the Reorganized LDS Church.

It's the same reason there are dozens of Christian churches -- they do not agree on some point and break off and organize their own faction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2013 09:14PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 12:18AM

They don't just accept those practices they REVERE the pioneers who lived life exactly like the FLDS. Yet the FLDS are an embarrassment and they want everyone to know that they are nothing to do with mainstream Mormonism. The large gap in reasoning there boggles the mind.

Posted by: anon-for-now ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 08:45PM

Exactly. They like to claim that FLDS are out of the mainstream and are the extremists, when there's not much difference.
Perhaps they see the LDS practices (prairie dresses, JS and teen girls) as something of the past, and excusable (in their minds) as 'the past was different', whereas they see the FLDS explicitly practicing it in the here and now, hence their strange logic. Still doesn't excuse it,though IMO.

Or, maybe it's cognitive dissonance. On a subconscious level, they can't admit the FLDS and LDS are similar, so they scapegoat the FLDS while trying to justify the LDS.

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 09:15PM

Mormons are already used to the concept of polygamy being a commandment in the past but a sin today, so they'll just use the same logic/reasoning/whatever for other issues where were practiced by mormons in the past but not today (e.g. underage marriages or whatever).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.