Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: joesmithsleftteste ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 05:14AM

I'm having a hard time sleeping. My brother just blocked me on Facebook because I called him out on posting a political lie (I even posted raw data and a Snopes article that proved it wrong). The problem isn't the politics - it's the fact that his LDS upbringing has made it so he associates his politics with God's will and he is so convinced that he interprets God's will flawlessly that he has no tolerance for people opposing his views. So even though it was political, I know that there is a religious element to it and I suspect that he feels that because I don't believe in the church, by opposing his politics, I am opposing God. It is sad how arrogant so many members get because they think that their religion has made them incapable of making mistakes.

Ironically, his post was critical of people who mooch off of others. He is a 20-year-old mission-dropout and lives in my parents' basement. So it's not like he' mister holy or even that opposed to mooching when it benefits him.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 07:32AM

my siblings are currently in the process of attacking me, because I am no longer a valid human being since I do not adhere to their MORmON religious beliefs. I am sure they would block me, IF I was on face book. WIth family like that who the hell needs enemies!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 07:58AM

Or at least make you THINK you're superior.

They have faith, or they accept Jesus, or they live pious lives, or they do their good works, or they sacrifice, or they submit, or whatever else their religion requires so they don't end up like us pitiful nonbelievers, infidels, sinners.

They're going to Heaven or Paradise or the Celestial kingdom and we aren't. Hurray!

And, thanks to their belief, their lives don't suck, or they receive blessings, or so they don't fall into depravity, or whatever. Boy, are they lucky! And we're not.

And, unlike us poor lost nonbelievers, they get certainty. They get all the answers. God said ________________. End of discussion. They're right, we're wrong. Their deity says so. Woot! it feels great to be right! All the time! About everything! Praise God!

Posted by: charles, lazy punk ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 09:02AM

My sibling unfriended me on Facebook and I didn't know until I had to email them (we both work overseas). So, I asked if they unfriended me and they said yes. And I ask why, and they responded that they couldn't stand reading my attacks against the church.

This was the same month that David Twede was being threatened with excommunication for his work that TSCC alleged was anti-Mormon (via Mitt Romney). And so I said, well did you understand that what I was opposing was that an innocent LDS member was going to lose their membership in church over facts he was posting on his website? I said while I'm no longer a member, I find it disturbing that others would lose their standing in the church (strongly resisting the urge to type 'cult') over non-religious ground. They had no response to that.

Posted by: Warrior Princess ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 10:34AM

Interesting. I had a non mormon in france drop me on facebook. He knew little about mormonism. But, he said he dropped me because he couldnt stand the people (mormons) on my fb account that seemed to make these odd brain washed comments. That they just don't seem to be living in reality.

So, I guess we can get dropped from either side. lol

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 10:38AM

That was your brother?? Wow!

I had some venom from my brother in the form of a comment on my blog post for all the world to see. It hurts when those close to us wear asshats and refuse to take them off for even a second.

Date: February 27, 2013 12:21PM

Yep. That was my brother. To be polite and allow him some anonymity, we didn't state the relationship of the person on Facebook because it would have made it obvious who we were discussing and we wanted to vent frustration, not publicly attack someone.

Date: February 27, 2013 12:54PM

I honestly suspect that the fact that we are no longer LDS further has something to do with it as well since he, like many other Mormons feels justified in mistreating people who have left the church. Before we left, he would attack people who lost their faith all the time. Ironically, he does that and then cries when people criticize him for not completing his mission.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 09:29PM

Irony is lost on some people. A sense of humor seems to skip over the same ones.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 01:06PM

is apparent in almost Everything they say/do.

they walk around like their feet don't touch the ground!

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 02:45PM

guynoirprivateeye Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> is apparent in almost Everything they say/do.
>
>
> they walk around like their feet don't touch the
> ground!

I've known Mormons like that, but the person that describes who got unfriended on Facebook like me isn't Mormon. This person is just arrogant in general.

Posted by: Deb ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 02:42PM

My mormon brother unfriended and blocked me on facebook as well about a year and a half ago. I am fairly certain it has to do with the fact that I am no longer mormon, I am a lesbian, and I am very liberal.

It's funny that none of that seemed to bother him when he and his family moved back home to IL from UT and needed a place to live. They lived with me for 5 months.

It also didn't seem to bother him when I took the bull by the horns and brought his comic book store back from complete failure simply by cleaning things up, organizing and painting walls. I even got him hooked up with a card swipe machine and bank account so he wouldn't have to insist that his customers pay only in cash. Because he could show his business was now successful, he was selected as a candidate for a Habitat for Humanity House, which I helped build.

When he sees me in town he will look at me and grin, but he won't even say hello. That same grin is what I saw in Mitt Romney and every other male mormon of authority. It burns me!!

Posted by: jesuswantsme4asucker ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 03:00PM

Well, whether he appreciates it or not you are one hell of a good sister, I wish you were one of mine :)

Date: February 27, 2013 03:48PM

I think many of us here have had similar issues in dealing with Mormons. For my part when I was on the other side of the fence, I am ashamed of how long it took me to realize that the church's stance on homosexuality wasn't about right or wrong, but about intolerance. It's funny how hard they work to defend their hateful behaviors as "loving, but not tolerating sin." What BS. If they really loved people who are different, they would find ways to make those people feel loved. Even my mother-in-law has made it so my wife's and my posts don't show up on her wall, but she hasn't blocked us. And we haven't even posted anything religious.

Anyway, most members base their acceptance of others on their relationship to the church. That's why some of the worst people I've ever known are in key leadership positions. That can cheat, lie, and be cruel, but so long as they defend the church, they are honored soldiers of God. But as soon as you say you dislike the church, any good deeds, whether you're a good person, how much you love and try to help others, etc. is all washed away. It's pretty much a reverse baptism. As soon as you stop believing, no sin (or perceived sin) is too petty or happened too long ago to be forgotten. And no amount of good you do will compensate for it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2013 03:58PM by joesmithsleftteste.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 10:22PM

Deb
I can't imagine what it would be like to have a caring sibling like you. With the exception of one sister, the rest treat me like i'm a leper. I've never done or said anything unkind to them. I just don't go to their church.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2013 10:23PM by Mia.

Posted by: Paint ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 03:09PM

My daughter wrote on her fb after the elections. "I'm not exactly happy that Obama is pResident I'm just glad we don't have a mormon one.

An TBM Aunt wrote back "Seriously? I'm surprised at your reasoning?

As if my daughter even gave a reason. Did anyone even ask why she said that? Of course not!

Date: February 27, 2013 03:23PM

I wrote a response to what you said, but voluntarily changed this because I don't want this thread to go political. I want people's honest thoughts on this subject and I don't want to see the thread shut down because of getting too political. I re-wrote the original post 4 times to make sure that I kept it as apolitical as possible. Please avoid discussing political specifics on this thread. I appreciate it - thanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2013 04:00PM by joesmithsleftteste.

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 04:01PM

I think that you have a great point about inherent arrogance. It is also a good cop-out for them.

Your brother tells himself, "It doesn't matter that I didn't complete my mission and I'm not accomplishing anything because I am still 1000% better than my brother who 'lost his testimony.'"

"I am righteous, and he is not."

I saw quite a few LDS students in school who copied others work and cheated when they could get away with it. When they couldn't copy and didn't do well, they complained about the unfairness.

They never looked at themselves, at what they could/should have done better, they just considered themselves above it all and better than the others because they were part of the 'true church'.

Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 04:36PM

So last fall I took a business trip with a friend and his son. The son must have a little money now because he was promoted to a position in the high stake council. He asked me why, and how people could outright hate mormons so much. Now his father fits the mold of bishop jack wagon/I think I'll take advantage of you anyway I can because hey I am a Mormon and therefore I am superior.

I could not bring myself to basically point this out to this guy but the shoe fits. Mormons are the only and I mean the only group of people I have met that feel that you as a person should apologize to them because you did not thank them when they screwed you to the wall.

This attitude that has been so prevelant in Utah for soooo many years and to a greater extent ALL Mormons. This will not change. Not because Mormons don't know how to change. This attitude will only change when the guys at corporate make an announcement.

So until that happens all these Mormon ass hats will continue to act he same way.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 09:56PM

Mormons are so superior, that when they lie, they find truth in the falsehood. Lying to "gentiles" is as good as honesty anytime. Gordy lied about man-god doctrine, and then chuckled about it during a church meeting. The Mormons all winked at each other like pro-wrestling fans who know the matches aren't real, but believe it to be a delicious shared secret.

Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 10:05PM

Facebook is such a joke.

Getting offended on what people write on their wall is like getting offended at a bumper sticker.

I brush Mormons off as a bunch of intolerable narcissists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2013 10:09PM by liminal state.

Posted by: Azazel ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 11:26PM

Generally, people who are not exposed to different ways of thinking tend to conflate their own feelings with absolute truth.

I have seen this in politics on both sides (but generally more on the left) and also with religion.

Plenty of people who are of a particular faith, not just Mormonism, believe everyone else is deluded by Satan or are too "proud" to admit the truth.

I prefer not to believe in the magic beans that anyone is selling.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.