Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Paint ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 03:29PM

I don't have cable so I mostly watch tv when I'm working out. I do have hulu and netflix though) So, today I saw a show on TLC called strage addictions. I saw a guy who was having an intimate relationship with his car. He would kiss it, caress it and say sweet words to it. Even going so far as to having sexual relations with it. (I'm guessing he had to do all the work.)

One girl was snorting baby powder, another was eating dirt.
I don't even think I know of anyone who has a truly different or strange addiction. Do any of you?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2013 03:29PM by luvcake.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Uncle Dale ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 03:35PM

Pulling out whiskers with my fingernails. Absolute nirvana.
And I get so depressed when the last one is gone and I have
to move up to the eyebrows. It's just not the same.

Not the same, I tell you!

Somebody... anybody...

choke, sigh............

Posted by: Good Witch ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 04:19PM

I have it too. I pull eyelashes, eyebrows and head hair. Some of the most recent literature is putting it as a type of Tourettes, while others are still classifying it as a Compulsive Disorder.

Posted by: Uncle Dale ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 04:33PM

Good Witch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>...others
> are still classifying it as a Compulsive Disorder.

I prefer to think of it as treasure-hunting. Finding
that one hidden ear-hair is like digging up the golden plates.
Then it's out and all the mystery disappears --- sigh!

UD

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 09:36AM

Yeah, it is, in fact, a lesser version of trichotillomania, or "trich," which plagues some people terribly. Many of us have it in very minor forms, like the obsession to find and pluck out that longest hair on the eyebrow (my vice while involved in a TV show) or finding and plucking the errant hair on my ear--I hate any hairs on my ears. I have a boss who constantly chews her cuticles and hangnails, which is something similar.

True sufferers of the trich can end up pulling out most of the hairs on their head. Many people chew and eat the hairs, and too much of that can actually lead to painful hairballs.

Posted by: Good Witch ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 11:30AM

Luckily, I don't have the compulsion to eat the hair or roots. I have to wear a wig because of the big bald patches, and I haven't had enough eyelashes to buy mascara for decades. Oh well! But, boy! Can I put on a straight liquid eyeliner and decent looking eyebrows! LOL! It certainly sucks, but I tell myself that there are worse things to have when I start feeling anxious about it.

H e i d i G w o t r

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2013 11:30AM by Good Witch.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 02:35PM

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 04:44PM

I've seen that show. One girl couldn't stop eating the foam out of the furniture. She said she had eaten a love seat and most of a club chair.

I love TLC! It makes me feel vanilla normal, but in reality I'm a bit of a kink.

Posted by: spicyspirit ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 06:30PM

Maybe she'll stop once she's eaten a sectional.

Posted by: fallenangelblue ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 09:55PM

OMG I've had my laugh for the day. ROFL! I can't stop picturing that girl eating furniture.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 06:55PM

Like I'd give you any more ammo ;)

Posted by: Paint ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 06:59PM

bc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Like I'd give you any more ammo ;)

Haha LOL!!!Oh come on....

Posted by: joesmithsleftteste ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 07:01PM

Does compulsively hanging out on the RFM count as a strange addiction?

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 02:41PM

Oh yea! So compulsive.

Posted by: AlmostFell ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 07:32PM

I hate to admit to watching that show. A recent episode focused on a woman who grooms her cat...by licking it. What makes a person think that it's a good idea to lick their pet?

Posted by: Grasshopper ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 07:41PM

I love that show! One guy was in love with a dummy he would dress her, eat with ect she was his girlfriend. Lots of people that eat stuff, the foam lady you talked about, plastic, rocks, bleach, stuff like that. One really weird one was a woman who ate her dead husbands ashes, she would dip in her finger and lick it off. She has eaten a pound of the ashes, says it tastes like rotten eggs. I could hardly watch that one.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 09:57PM

I got hooked on the smell of tires when buying some at Costco. I would go to walmart and hang out in the tire section. It went away thank god.

I pull out hair with my fingernails only because I seem to have spacial issues trying to get my mutant chin hair out with a tweezer in front of the mirror. (I'm a woman so chin hair is a bad thing).

Posted by: Luna692 ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 12:00AM

I think anything Joe Smith said or did would definatly fall into the category of a strange addiction. :)

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 12:04AM

Omg its on right now. This chick is chowing down on stick deodorant.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 12:07AM

my love of pickle juice : P

Posted by: Luna692 ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 12:21AM

Im with you on the pickle juice Susan :-)

Posted by: Garçon ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 10:12AM

Date: February 28, 2013 12:28AM

Must not make fun of admin's double entendre.

Don't want to get kicked off...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2013 12:28AM by bc.

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 12:30AM

threesomes ;D

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 09:12AM

Does spending lots of money on strippers on a regular basis count as a strange addiction? Or is that a normal addiction? Just curious.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 09:14AM

Firehouse sub

Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 09:17AM

A college roommate of mine used to eat bread ONLY if it was moldy.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 09:24AM

I think you can actually get high that way.

Posted by: broswithmanyhoes ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 09:41AM

mmmmmmmm.......penicillin

Posted by: anatbrat ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 12:21PM

I can't go a day without ice from Sonic. I go there and buy about four big Route 44 cups of it and keep it in the freezer so I have it when I want it. I know they sell bags of ice, but it's not the same after it freezes together and has to be chipped apart, nor is it the same in a glass or plastic drinking vessel. It has to be in the Styrofoam one.

When I get down to one cup in the freezer, I do a little mental panic thing until it's replenished. I even keep it at work.

When DH is being extra-nice to me, he brings me Sonic ice. He knows the best way to suck up, make up, get what he wants, or just be thought of as the sweetest, most thoughtful guy around.

Oddly, I don't like their drinks...just their ice.

Does that count as a strange addiction?

BTW...I've heard that the compulsion to eat ice is a sign of anemia. And yes, I am anemic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2013 12:22PM by anatbrat.

Date: February 28, 2013 02:12PM

Isn't it sad/weird when the best menu item of a restaurant is their ice?

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 02:48PM

Though, thankfully, not anemic--I crunched ice obsessively through my second pregnancy. I got home from the hospital and got my huge cup of ice with just enough apple juice to cover it. I popped the first chunk in my mouth and...hmmm...nothing. Never crunched ice again. And we think we are running the show!

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 01:48PM

I watch it too and the strange food addiction as well. If you didn't know, pets can have pica as well. My cat has pica- I have to be absolutely careful with plastic wrap or cellophane around the house because she will try to eat it.

Personal strange addictions? I'm addicted to beads. I have a compulsion to buy more, even though I have plenty already.

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 02:34PM

Fat! Saturated and mono-unsaturated (like a cruel lover, I have shunned entirely the poly-un junk).

Yesterday, I whipped up another big batch of homemade olive oil mayonnaise in my trusty old Cuisinart. I always gobble a few spoonfuls after it's done.

I then used the creamy, heavenly mayo to make:

Creamy Italian Dressing
Roasted Garlic, Bacon & Chive Mayonnaise
Moroccan Spiced Roasted Garlic Dip
Spicy Ranch Dressing

All of the above is wonderful with roasted veggies and on salads, as well as on the copious amounts of fatty meat I eat.

Best of all, my obsessive addiction to fat has no weight or health consequences so long as I maintain a rejecting, judgmental attitude toward all grains, excess starches, and sugar ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2013 02:34PM by frogdogs.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 02:39PM

I like to drink store-bought buttermilk. DW and I are frighteningly close to being hoarders.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 02:49PM

Isn't there just a simple having to eat some plain chocolate chips every day?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.