Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NeverBeenaMormon ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 05:50PM

How does TSCC defend Joe getting 8 more people to 'view' (AHEM!!!!) the plates when the BoM and Moroni said only 3 witnesses needed to see them? Without an order from God it sounds like a conman trying hard to convince people he's right. But that couldn't be the explanation....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 06:03PM

Wow - lds.org is down so I can't look it up.

But as I recall the text of the book of Mormon says there will be 3 witnesses and then the next verse states that there be more witnesses?

Date: February 27, 2013 06:26PM

OK their site is back up:

2 Nephi 27:
12 Wherefore, at that day when the book shall be delivered unto the man of whom I have spoken, the book shall be hid from the eyes of the world, that the eyes of none shall behold it save it be that three bwitnesses shall behold it, by the power of God, besides him to whom the book shall be delivered; and they shall testify to the truth of the book and the things therein.

13 And there is none other which shall view it, save it be a few according to the will of God, to bear testimony of his word unto the children of men; for the Lord God hath said that the words of the faithful should speak as if it were bfrom the dead.

- Just FYI is Nephi, not Moroni - just for accuracy

Date: February 27, 2013 06:31PM

Cheers for the correction. Yeah I looked up that verse before. So the 'save it be a few according to the will of God' bit relates to potential other witnesses, not just the 3. Thank you. Anywhere where it says it has to be 8, seeing as Nephi was so particular about 3 first off?

Date: February 27, 2013 06:37PM

Even the "few" on the next verse is quite a stretch - verse 12 pretty clear says exactly 3 and then a few in the next verse seems to just be repeating that there will be 3 witnesses - but if you are a TBM it would probably be enough to interpret the "few" as "8 more".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2013 06:38PM by bc.

Date: February 27, 2013 07:13PM

Agreed, that was exactly my reading of it. The 'few' referred back to the 3, not to another group, be they 8 or 800

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 11:07PM

I disagree. I think the "few" others clearly refers to more people besides the 3. Look at the verse closely, it says "there is none other." Other than who? Obviously the 3 spoken of in the verse before. So if we put that together with "save it be a few," we get: "There is none other [than the 3]... save it be a few." Clearly its saying that there will be a few others, besides just the three.

Date: February 27, 2013 11:13PM

Well, I think it is ambiguous.

If the Book of Mormon didn't repeat itself so much with slightly different words I would definitely agree with you. However, it's impossible to tell if its following the common BoM pattern of repeating itself with slightly different words or it if it has moved onto the same subject.

If it has moved onto a new subject it reads like the author just changed their mind from the previous verse - which is also weird.

Certainly my confirmation bias leads me to interpret it the less generous way...

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 12:09AM

Yeah, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Joe and Co just kinda stuffed that second verse in there in the space between lines when they thought to themselves that they might want more than just the three witnesses!

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 06:17PM

I believe it was in D. Michael Quinn's "The Mormon Hierarchy: Origins of Power" (I can't locate the reference), where I read that "The Three Witnesses" plus "The Eight Witnesses" plus Joseph Smith, could have been considered to be the original Twelve Apostles of the newly emerging Mormon church. That's an interesting way to look at it, I suppose.

Posted by: VoydKPecker ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 06:35PM

Why did they need any? You don't get a testimony of the BoM through proof, just thorough the HG according to Moron's promise.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 06:42PM

So their testimonies mean nothing. They're all coconspirators.

Date: February 27, 2013 06:45PM

Nor did they even write their own personal testimonies. They just signed something that JS or Oliver Cowdery wrote.

Plus any quotes from the 8 witnesses of what they saw varies widely from what is written in the official statement.

Posted by: starkravingmad ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 01:39PM

Do you have a reference where the 8 reported their individual accounts?

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 06:47PM

My favorite account, even though it's not totally reliable, comes from Governor Ford. From MormonThink:

... the witnesses were "set to continual prayer and other spiritual exercises." Then at last "he assembled them in a room, and produced a box, which he said contained the precious treasure. The lid was opened; the witnesses peeped into it, but making no discovery, for the box was empty, they said, "Brother Joseph, we do not see the plates." The prophet answered them, 'O ye of little faith! how long will God bear with this wicked and perverse generation? Down on your knees, brethren, every one of you, and pray God for the forgiveness of your sins '.. The disciples dropped to their knees, and began to pray in the fervency of their spirit, supplicating God for more than two hours with fanatical earnestness; at the end of which time, looking again into the box, they were now persuaded that they saw the plates."

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 08:06PM

They were hungry and just wanted to go and get some dinner at that point...

Posted by: L RON HUBBARD ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 11:00PM

I always had issues reading the BOM due to an entire chapter devoted to Joseph Smith trying to convince the readers the plates were real. it's excurciating and obviously a scam artist.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 09:12AM

Since none of them actually saw the plates, they are not witnesses.

Date: February 28, 2013 12:49PM

Yeah I know, they're 'witnesses', I just can't be bothered to type the quote marks every time! But, just to be sure, anyone know where/when Joe was told to get (specifically) 8 more witnesses? Without a clear command from God Joe's actions just smack of desperation!!

Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 12:54PM

Date: February 28, 2013 01:07PM

:)
Yeah, like I said in the OP, 'without an order from God it sounds like a conman trying hard to convince people he's right. But that couldn't be the explanation....'

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.