Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thinker ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 09:29PM

I was a "Christian", living life by the dictates of my conscience and being a good person. I was on a quest to find "the truth" when the mishies knocked at my door. Having 2 teenage sons at the time, I invited them in. If only I could go back in time...
I would probably still be "seeking", and who knows what I would have settled on...7th Day Adventist? Episcopalian? Assembly of God? They all were "courting" me in one way or another.

As much as I resent being led astray by the Mormon church, I came out of the tornado and landed in a place where I am open-minded and accepting of all people, and where I no longer fear the "Mormon God"...a God who was punishing and judgmental, who would curse you if you didn't pay a full tithe or finish your visiting teaching. Did I need to walk through the fire to arrive at the blissful place I am now?

I am sad for the LDS people who live with their heads in the sand and plug their ears if they hear anything contradictory to "the gospel" and what they've been brainwashed to believe. We at RFM need to be so grateful that we had that "one moment" of clarity where the truth could make its way into our conscience and we could find our way out of the smoke and mirrors.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 03:56PM

I often wish I could go back in time for a do-over.

;o)

Posted by: 2thdoc ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 04:53PM

Ditto. But, since I can't, I try not to dwell on it. But I do think about it.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 05:05PM

Fortunately, my life before I converted is over 50 years ago. The details are blurry. The major events I can recall. It was the foundation that led me with my little family (mother with four children, I was the oldest) to join the LDS Church.

I have accepted my life as a Mormon as part of what has contributed to who I am today. I have no regrets. I did what we all do, make choices and decisions with the information we have at the time. There are no wouldas, shouldas, couldas, what if's. We get what we get.

I married my husband in the temple, raised children in the LDS Church. Most of us have left as we have changed our mind. We still have LDS family that we care about and friends that some of us associate with. I am grateful for my life as a Mormon woman and mother and wife. It did not destroy me or give me cause to be anything but civil and decent to everyone, regardless of their religion.

Sure, I had some difficult experiences with some of the members. It's also true that I had some similar difficult experiences with the same kinds of attitudes and personalities in the work force. In both cases, I held my own, and later made changes on my terms.

I don't have a problem with people living Mormonism, if that is what they choose and want to do, especially as part of their heritage and culture, family etc. It's a matter of principle with me: honoring and respecting other people's rights to their religious choice (or none).

The closer I get to the end of my life the more I realize that there is no point in living in the past, being a victim, hurling derogatory insults at the LDS Church or it's members,holding grudges, being bitter, angry, etc. as all of those things negatively impact my life. I refuse to give anyone, or any part of my past power over my life and my peace of mind.

Part of that is understand the importance of not taking anything personally! Hard to do at times, but the result is much preferred to any thing else.

I believe this is an important principle in peace of mind: "Forgive others not because they deserve forgiveness but because you deserve peace."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2013 05:06PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 05:38PM

but nobody else here needs to feel anything but what they feel.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.