Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dyslexic Wookborm ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 02:42PM

I was doing some googling trying to find info about the temple being built in Indy (my city), and I found this blog post:

http://mooshinindy.com/2010/10/04/the-one-about-the-mormon-temple-in-indy/

The author is a mormon woman that lives here and is excited about the temple. I never went through the temple, so I don't really know if it feels like God is standing next to you or whatever, but this part at the end really killed me:

"Just as google should be avoided for medical diagnosis? Google should generally be avoided for religious questions as well (thanks.)"

Gee, why wouldn't she want any of her readers to Google Mormonism?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ina ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 02:58PM

I didn't think there was anyone else from Indiana, let alone Indianapolis on this forum. Good to know I'm not the only one.

Date: January 14, 2011 03:03PM

Do you think this means they are going to put more missionaries here as well? Good reason to tell people not to google it. They don't want anyone knowing ahead of time it's a load of crap.

Date: January 14, 2011 03:25PM

I live on the north side, not far from the temple site. I have seen mishies out and about a couple of times, but have never had any come to my house. Growing up I don't remember having them come to our house either (I didn't grow up in the church). We had JW's come by pretty frequently, but never Mormons that I remember.

Since the area they are building the temple in is pretty affluent, I am sure they will be trying to recruit new members. Gotta pay for that temple somehow, right?

Date: January 14, 2011 03:30PM

See my post below, I was just thinking the same thing!! Where exactly is the site?

Date: January 14, 2011 04:00PM

The temple site is on Spring Mill Rd, just north of 116th St.

Date: January 14, 2011 04:12PM

Of course! I knew it would be Carmel. I worked at Crooked Stick Golf Club 10 years ago while taking classes at IUPUI. The supreme rich people in Carmel like their alcohol, and they also like controlling everything that goes on in that town. Good luck with that missionaries...

Date: January 14, 2011 04:41PM

Agreed. It will be interesting to see how the community reacts if there is an influx of missionaries. There are a couple of big evangelical megachurches in Carmel, will be interesting to see if they respond in any way.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 05:02PM

It's a beautiful drive too. It's too bad the scenery will be ruined by a kitschy Mormon temple. I thought we left that shit in Utah.

Date: January 14, 2011 05:14PM

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to having that reminder of the Morg in my city. I'll have to pass it any time I go to my husband's office.

Posted by: Boilermaker ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 04:06PM

There are quite a few people from Indiana on this forum. The Mormon Church still keeps getting bigger in Indiana from all the jobless Utah incomers.

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 03:09PM

They don't always post but I know they lurk often.

I think there was an attempt at a gathering a few years back but don't know how that went. I'm big time closeted so I didn't participate. I still am active due to family politics. Another poster here in Central Indiana figured me out by my revealing just a little to much personal info so I changed my screen name a few years back.

Posted by: roflmao ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 12:06AM

I LOVE your screen name!

Date: January 14, 2011 03:29PM

I'm fairly new here. I've read things off and on for about three years, but just started commenting the past week. I would go if there were something organized for this area.

Here's a question for Indy residents. I remember in the late 1980's to early 1990's, I would see missionaries around the city and sometimes suburbs. I haven't seen a mormon missionary in Indy for at least ten years. Anyone else notice this? When I first heard about the temple being built here, that's the first thing I thought about. Building a temple (and telling people not to google mormon), then sending more missionaries. Especially to Carmel, Zionsville, Noblesville and Fishers. Go after all the richies first and get some major tithing money.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.