Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 12:44AM

So I have been working on a tactic on facebook. Since people have been 'warned' about me being 'off the deep end' I decided to make sure that all my FB friends could tell I was still me. so what I do these days is post something that will resonate with my family and friends, a memory or something about a good time or a good philosophy, then alternate that will a little nugget of truth about the church, something people keep on the shelf, but maybe a link to the truth about that topic.

It has been fun going back over memories about moments in my life where my dad affected me for the better or my mom did something special, then in the middle of that I drop the BKP quote about truth no always being useful.

anyway I was thinking something to post and remembered the funniest thing my grandma ever said to me. still makes me laugh, figured I would share and hope it gives you a smile too.

things my grandma said:

One day my wife and I had just swung by mom and dads house, we were there for a quick trip and had to get back to logan (for those that don't know at the time my parents lived my grandma Ashby, she was about 90 at the time and them being close by allowed her to live at home) I usually visted grandma whenever we went by there, we were really close since I had stayed with her so many summers after grandpa died. This time however we were in a big hurry and as I sped up the drive way grandma came out and stood in the middle of the road making me stop. I rolled down the window as she gave me the 'you with your chocolate eyebrows' line and asked me where I was going in such a hurry and why I wasn't stopping to say hi. I said I am sorry grandma but we are in a big hurry and have to go, then thinking of the next holiday I had off that spring I said "we will come visit you on memorial day, I promise!"

She looked at me, screwed up her brow and said "I'm NOT dead YET!" and banged the truck door with her cane, then gave me that wonderful grin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2013 12:44AM by sparkyguru.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 03:53AM

Your grandma sounds like an awesome lady. That generation, the women and men who lived through the depression and WWII really was something! I spent a lot of time with my grandma listening to her stories. I just regret that I didn't tape them or transcribe them or something. I remember the broad strokes but I've lost some of the wonderful details.

I like your double-pronged approach.

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 11:23PM

Yeah, I have noticed I am getting lots of comments from family

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.