Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 10:04AM

Years ago, I used to work at the local Marriott. Every year we would have a big convention of ministers come in from a certain religion. Now this religion specialized in ministering to poor urban communities, and their congregations tended to be heavy on people just getting by. I know this, because a good deal of the conference was about inspiring hope to these luckless individuals.

However, nearly every minister showed up in either a brand new Mercedes or a BMW. Every minister wore a thousand dollar suit, with gold cuff links and designer shoes. Their wives all wore designer labels, and each arrived with at least a half dozen designer hats, because they would not be caught dead wearing the same thing twice. They clearly made a lot of money, off of the backs of poor people.

Now I am not opposed to a minister getting paid, he is a professional and professionals need to earn a living. However, the amount of wealth these guys were flashing was obscene considering the dire conditions of their flock.

I remember I had Mormon co-workers who were upset about it, and at the time, I was an inactive, yet somewhat still believing Mormon myself. I was working my butt off and felt guilty because I hadn't been going to church or paying my tithing. It never crossed my mind that I or my mormon co-workers were in the same boat as all those ignorant poor people going to church in the ghetto, but we were. It just so happened that our leaders were better at manipulation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dissonanceresolved ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 10:36AM

God needs to get control of his minions. Oh, wait. He can't. What good is he, then?

I'm having an athiest type of day today.

Posted by: markrichards ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 11:02AM

One of the very few friends I kept from a certain church I attended still keeps in contact with me. He went on to graduate from a seminary and has spent years going from church to church.

He was 'called' to a mega church to be a "Singles Pastor." Of course, I get a phone call from him telling me he is back in town. Well, Roseville. These were not college age (30 to 50 year olds). He had a huge crowd. A plethora of single women that would have never made it at TSCC; they worked, were independent and maybe looking for a mate to add to the mix. They also had no problem asking a man out either.

Before I attended, I asked him to keep my little secret as he knew the events surrounding my divorce and my former religious affiliation. He did. While we were talking, he made his 'pitch' and told me, "It's my job to bring in at least $150,000 or more into this 'church.' I was invited over to dinner with his wife, whom I also knew from my Methodist days. He was living in a crappy apartment, driving a 10 year old car. The main pastor was really raking it in; not driving a BMW, no Honda Civic either.

I hung around several months, as his group was a Friday night affair and I had nothing really going for myself. During November that church put out it's push the congregation for $$$$$ (the traditional Stewardship month for most mainline Protestant denominations). I saw the 'expense' report with close to $2 million in 'confidential' expenses. Those 'confidential' expenses was items not included in the main budget. The main budget had the janitor's salary, the secretaries salary, building costs (upkeep, mortgage and utilities), No actual salary expense for the head pastor and three assistant pastors. I had never seen such a thing in my life.

My friend called me around that time, wanting me to 'commit' to a yearly 'love offering' of $10,000! Or like Tony Soprano would say, "Ten Big." I never made the connection between TSCC or Adventure Christian, but I never went back. It was not that I did not have the money, it was so crass to be approached in such a manner.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 11:18AM

Does God want people to give their money to rich ministers? I know of no edict that says so and as a Christian I would be offended by any church or religious organization that operated the way you describe. I know numerous retired ministers whose lives were dedicated to their ministries and who, judging by their life styles, never got any where near rich. For every Benny Hinn living in a California mansion there are thousands of ministers of many denominations scraping by in struggling churches sustained only by the sincerity of their calling. I think you need to look down the small end of the telescope more.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 04:26PM

Like all things, mileage may vary. I know a man in a small west Tennessee town. in his late sixties, 30 year full-time gig driving a school bus, also an assistant pastor of his church. Good man. humble. gives far more than he takes, always looking out for others. he'll have to work for as long as he is physically able, as there is no extra money.

Posted by: me.. ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 12:02PM

Ask yourself if this short video reminds you of anything

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b5m824hwJk

start at 1:30 for the meat

Posted by: independentgeorge ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 12:46PM

Maybe mormons are christian. Apparently they have a lot in common, they just deliver their message differently. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsg3g_Qprm8

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2013 12:47PM by independentgeorge.

Posted by: me.. ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 04:02PM

Not sure which is worse that guy in the above link or the subtle extortion same message delivered differently stranglehold the tscc has on it's flock.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 05:43PM

God has nothing to do with slimy predatory evangelists who get rich on the backs of the desperate and gullible souls they exploit. Those Rat Bastards invoke the name of God to access bank accounts...

Ron Burr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2013 05:44PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: Questionaire ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 10:55PM

A quick few facts to add to this:

Pastor's with advance degrees are essentially the lowest paid people compared to all fields with Masters and/or Doctorates. It's easy to think Joel Osteen is the norm. It's not. Secondly the 10% tithe is specifically NOT commanded in the new testament. We are supposed to only give out of thankfulness and in worship. No % is used. Also churches are commanded in scripture to make sure no one goes without the essentials in their church. Many even make it clear they do not want you to give if financially strapped. Most Protestant churches have pretty robust deacon funds.

Also for the record... the tithe even in the old testament wasn't actually 10%. It was more.

Mormon Inc's view is an exception to the rule. I can think of no mainline Christian Church which audits its members for example. Actually the vast majority provide their yearly financials and spending clearly. I know more about my Church budget then I often know about my own families.

Date: March 01, 2013 01:50AM

http://www1.salary.com/Pastor-Salary.html

Less then ten percent of pastors make less then fifty thousand dollars a year.

About half make more then 80,000 a year. While I don't think pastors need to be living in poverty, the image of the poor servant of God, barely earning a living is more myth then reality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2013 01:53AM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: March 01, 2013 11:13AM

I once played the role of Jim Bakker in a play...

The SOB got outta jail and is back on TV...

Scamming people's hard-earned loot...

My first MIL couldn't pay her heating bill, but sent $ to this con-man

Date: March 01, 2013 12:48PM

I guess if God wanted those poor people to be rich, he would have given them the calling to be a preacher.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.