Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ragingphoenix ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 11:41AM

They wouldn't even give me an explanation. They said they didn't have to. "The company has no further need of your services. You have 5 minutes to gather your belongings and you are not to contact any patients or staff."

Anyway, I'm still probably going to still take a break from here, but I needed to vent somewhere. I can't vent on FB about this...I'm already bracing for "You are a bad provider for your family" that I'm certainly going to get from my inlaws.

It really makes me mad that they waited until I got their entire volunteer program up to speed in case a state audit occurs. I just completed that yesterday and *POOF* I'm "no longer needed."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 11:45AM

I'm sorry my friend.

Where they didn't fire you with cause that also means you should have no problem drawing on unemployment.

I don't know if this helps or not, but you will land in a better place because of this. That was a bad place. While you morally couldn't quit because you needed to take of your family, you are now free. You are free of a horrid employer. You are free of an oppressive environment. You are free to find something so much better.

This spot sucks - and it sucks bad. But it is a step forward, not backward.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2013 11:49AM by bc.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 11:46AM

Well, without cause you can at least get unemployment. I'm very sorry to hear this.

Posted by: jackmymo ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 11:47AM

"you are not to contact any patients or staff"

Did they give you any incentive to follow this direction? Obviously, it is a free country and you can speak with whomever you want.

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 11:50AM

That's a good point. Unless you signed a contract on condition of employment or for which you received stock or other incentives, they have no right to tell you with whom you can or cannot speak.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 12:42PM

This is what severance packages are for. You have to sign them to get your money. If you don't, you don't get it.

If you didn't sign a severance agreement and have no other contractual agreement, then you can do what you damn well please. They can sue but will have no grounds without something you signed.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 11:50AM

who have also had experience with being fired, not getting the promotion we expected, etc. we feel your pain. It's time to pivot, roll with the punch, and keep your eyes on new opportunities. It will get better. With luck you will find an even better situation. That will be the best revenge and satisfaction.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 11:51AM

I was on my way out from a place that was trying to get rid of me after being with them 11 years. I found something so much better with managers who value what I bring to their company. I was so worried for many months because I could see their plans to be rid of me. It only worked out for the best in the end and I am much, much happier. Sometimes we have to be pushed out of an oppressive environment and it's uncomfortable. It can happen to anyone at any time. It is very possible this is a positive thing for your well being. Let us know what happens.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 11:51AM

Wow, quick before people you expect to dump shit on you get around to doing so, make your timeline private, or only for you to post on, or something.
Family, isn't it about making each other feel like shit?

Use your energy where it will be appreciated, not to fend off attacks.

Or answer anyone who posts crap on your wall, "Thanks for your support."

I hope you've got some people who are on your side and willing to support you rather than add to the pile of negativity.
I hope you find a much more peaceful place of employment where you will be appreciated.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 11:52AM

I have mixed feelings. Losing your job is stressful, but it was an awful place to work. I had a stint of less than a year at a place that made me intensely angry. I put in 60 hours a week and got shit for it. The director didn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. The management gossiped and bad-mouthed line staff. I went to my doc and he volunteered to put me on disability because I was in such bad shape. I opted for medication to help me sleep, cleared my head, and quit before I said or did something I would regret later. You will get something better.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 11:56AM

I'm so sorry they did this to you. Sounds like you've experienced one of the worst work environments allowable by law. If the company is this badly run, they'll be out of business sooner rather than later, which is a shame for any decent employees left and for the clients they serve, but hopefully the owners and idiot managers will get what they deserve in the end.

Take care of yourself.

Date: February 28, 2013 12:00PM

That makes a huge difference for your unemployment benefits. If you were let go because you were redundant, then you need to file for unemployment ASAP. It will cost your company in their premiums.

If you were let go for cause, then they have to let you know why.

Date: February 28, 2013 12:20PM

They said "we no longer need your services"

They never used the words "fired" or "laid off". I do know they just hired a "part-time social worker"...haha, yeah right. They informed me of that yesterday. And when I asked how it would affect my role, they got snippy and acted like I was being paranoid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2013 12:33PM by ragingphoenix.

Date: February 28, 2013 12:43PM

This is hugely important for your unemployment benefits.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 03:10PM

It does not matter which word they used, it only matters if it was "for cause" -- if you did something that gave them cause to terminate your employment.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 12:41PM

You said you just got their volunteer program up to speed. Could you imagine what will happen if the state comes in to audit and asks to speak with the person who did everything and they have to say they let you go?

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 12:56PM

Don't let a day go by before you get over to the unemployment office.

Date: February 28, 2013 01:02PM

Just left there now! Haha!

I have to go online which I'm about to do...

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 01:36PM

That sucks! But you should definitely be eligible for unemployment.

I've been fired from a few jobs...It's definitely stressful to look for a new one, but it seems like a much better one comes along if you just keep looking, even if you have a crappy temp jop for a few months. Best of luck to you.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 02:26PM

Don't feel lonesome
I was a chef and several times in my career i would get a resturant up and running only to have the owners cut me loose when they had my recipes and were running smoothly

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 02:29PM

I've been punted without warning before, twice actually,and it really sucks.

But,

Look at it as a wonderful opportunity to find a better job.

Good luck!

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 02:51PM

Sorry to hear about you getting fired. I know from personal experience how much it sucks. After I was fired from one job my fellow engineers created such a stink that my supervisor had to quit. Nobody liked him and they refused to work for him any longer. Unfortunately, that didn't help me because the HR manager wouldn't let me come back to work there. The good news is that three months later I was working at a much better job with a much better company for $5000 a year more. And, while I was off work my youngest son was born. It was nice to be able to be home and take care of things while my wife recovered from her c-section.

Get your resume out there and above all stay positive. Take a temp job or one that's less desireable than you want if you need the money but don't stop your job search until you find one you're happy with. Life is too short to work in a job you don't like.

I did that little trick as well. I took a job I had doubts about because the economy sucked at the time but I kept my resume out there with several head hunters. Three months in they fired their VP of engineering and then the next day fired me. That time it only took a little over a month to find another job.

Best of luck to you.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 03:08PM

I'm sorry to hear this. I've had that happen to me and I was able to collect unemployment. I'm glad that you're getting the ball rolling on that. Good luck.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 03:20PM

Martin applied to work for Microsoft as a janitor. He filled
out the application but left the place for his email address
blank. When the HR person asked him to fill it in he said, "I
don't have email."

"I'm sorry," said HR, "We contact all employees by email."

Martin went home dejected. He started renting himself out part
time to clean various small businesses. He found that he had
more work than he could do. He hired someone to help him.
Then someone to help them. After a while he had put together a
large janitorial company doing millions of dollars of business
a year. He was negotiating a contract with a large corporation
with offices across the country. The representative from the
company asked him for his email address. He said, "I don't
have email."

"Wow," said the representative. "A big successful man like you
without email? If you had email you'd be even more successful."

Martin thought for a moment, "If I had email I'd be a janitor
at Microsoft."

Date: February 28, 2013 03:30PM

I just met with the director of our competition and they seemed very interested in me.

They want me to bring my resume in and asked if any RNs want to come with me...lol

Date: February 28, 2013 03:57PM

:) !!!

Date: February 28, 2013 04:11PM

I went in there very confident and happy. I felt comfortable and in control. The director and an RN were at ease, and I even joked a bit with them.

They asked if I had a resume, and I told them I have to update it because I hadn't had to touch it in quite a while. They asked where I worked, and I told them "(company name) up until a couple of hours ago." They asked why I was no longer employed, and I explained that they let me with no explanation other than my services no longer being needed.

The director said something like "Wow! You get let go, you stay in a good mood and calm enough to come in here? You have drive and make a good impression. Get that resume to me ASAP."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2013 04:12PM by ragingphoenix.

Date: February 28, 2013 04:13PM

Funny thing - last time I got laid off:

I made it through 16 layoffs over 2 years. I spent at least 6 months dreading get laid off. The 17th and final layoff I finally got hit.

I made one phone call and had a job the next day. All that worry for nothing...

Date: February 28, 2013 04:14PM

:)

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 06:30PM

Your unemployment may be of extremely short duration!

And if you can get some RNs from the Company from Hell to leave also, that would be absolutely perfect.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2013 06:32PM by stbleaving.

Date: February 28, 2013 07:28PM

I joked with them that working for them would not only be a fantastic decision for them, but would also take the sting out of being canned by their competition!

Posted by: sithlord ( )
Date: March 01, 2013 12:52AM

Awesome!! Good luck!

Posted by: slimchance ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 04:04PM

Sorry to hear you worked for ***holes.

My wife is a social worker for a hospice agency. It feels like they are trying to sqeeze her out but it's not clear why. She has great skills and is well liked by her clients.

I hope you find a better job soon and are happy.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 04:13PM

Sorry to hear that and I hope you find something better. Apply for unemployment right away and see if you have any grounds to sue them.

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 04:19PM

I'm so sorry. I hope that this is just a brief, transitional phase for you, and that the next employer you find will be far superior to these turkeys in every way.

Date: February 28, 2013 04:20PM

Thanks for the support and advice everyone!

Posted by: Odell Campbell ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 04:30PM

I am sorry for your news. But I bet the best job you ever had is just around the corner and you would have never known it existed unless this happened.

Good luck and chin up!

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 05:00PM

Keep your chin up lost mystic ;)

It really sounded like a horrible place to work and if you have to spend x amount of hours with crappy people, it sucks your spirit right out of you. Just breathe. Good luck with the new prospective employer.

(((lm)))

Posted by: leroy ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 06:29PM

Even if an employer claims you're terminated "for cause" they have to prove it - if you properly file for a hearing and/or otherwise guidelines that your state provides. If they build a paper trail showing their attempts to improve your performance, caution you about attendance, etc., and then terminate you, you might not get unemployment. But if you push back, follow the guidelines on the paperwork you get from unemployment, and make a good and reasoned case, you still might get benefits. I've been on both sides of this issue and the bigger paper trail and the more confident argument seems to win - I've won it from both sides.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 06:39PM

The doctor had a plumbing issue, so called a plumber.

After the plumber repaired the problem, he handed the doc the bill.

The doc said, " Two hundred dollars! I don't even make that kind of money!"

The plumber said, "I didn't either when I was a doctor."

Keep yer eyes peeled my friend... he he

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 07:37PM

I'm so sorry. I was fired once and it was the best thing that ever happened to me job-wise. My next job was a much better fit. It paid the same, but I had a wonderful boss, and far more interesting work. I hope that something wonderful happens for you as well.

Date: February 28, 2013 07:57PM

I just posted it on FB because questions are already circulating. I said:

My previous employer let me go today with no explanation other than "your services are no longer required." I drove straight to the unemployment office, then straight to my employer's competition and introduced myself. They like me and want me to turn in my résumé ASAP. I'm a proactive, competent, empathetic, educated and skilled individual in my field. And my charisma is a bonus. I'm sure I will find a great match with an agency.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 01, 2013 12:56AM

Don't be afraid to use what ya got! That's what its for.

You'll probably be glad this all happened.

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 11:42PM

I'm not being facetious with the sandwich thing. I met lots of folks on this board via sandwich at a coffee shop. You also, should you ever find yourself in Utard.

Date: February 28, 2013 11:46PM

Haha! I know MIB.

I can't wait until that day. It might be awhile before we visit Utah. But I'll treat you to an amazing Po'boy if you visit down here sometime :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.