Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 03:48PM

I hear all the time that it's crucial for toddlers to be forced to go to nursery because going to nursery trains them how to go to primary. Parents have to take their young kids to sacrament meeting that is largely over their heads and incredibly boring because the kids have to learn how to sit still and be reverent so they'll be able to sit through sacrament when they're older. This kind of "church training" happens all the time and is considered the highest goal of a lot of TBM parents.

Doesn't this "make your kids sit down, shut up, and tune out the speaker, just make them look reverent" actually teach kids that they're supposed to tune out during sacrament meeting, though? Is this what creates the adults who daydream, play on their ipads, or otherwise tune out rather than focus?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 04:18PM

It's all about behavior and appearances. Teenagers rebel against this regularly, so yes, I think this type of "obedience training" often backfires, and I'm glad it does.

In a way, it separates the personality types. Sheeple go on with mo-ism, but free-thinkers rebel. The shame is that he free-thinkers are often then marginalized and de-legitimized in their own society. They are gaslighted and told they are unworthy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.