Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kori ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 06:35PM

I grew up mormon.
I was taught so many doctrinal things that were not true. However I was also taught to filter my life experiences with an imcomplete set of tools...

I was taught not to value facts
I was taught not to value money in every aspect
I was taught to focus on the way I felt at the time to make terribly important decisions
I was limited in the choices of friends I could have
I was taught skewed values and given limited choices for marriage partners
I was taught that education was secondary, almost evil
I was taught to not prepare economically for life, but to rush to make important decisions and that magic would take care of the rest.
I was taught that consequences for bad decisions were optional, if I meant well
I was taught that other people who ran my life, spoke to God
I was taught that the only financial skill I should develop was to give up my income, at least 10 percent and then hope for the rest to go well
I was taught to live by a narrow worldview, based entirely on confirmation bias
I was taught that gay people were perverted evil monsters
I was taught that people who were not of my church, were evil, or at least not as important
I was taught that no meaningful truth could be found outside of a church that lied to me about everything
I was robbed of 10k and 2 years on my youth
I was robbed of a normal sexual development
I was robbed of normal relationships with girls
I was taught that girls were less than boys
I was robbed for tens of thousands of dollars
I was controlled and taught to control others thru guilt and fear, the only ways mormons interact
I was told that I must not think when people with a supervisory calling spoke to me
I was taugth that truth was relative
I was taught to speak in half truths and that crying while you talk makes everything you are saying into God's word
I was taught that my life should be dictated by the never changing principles of god, which changed all the time
I was taught that this world was evil and that I was contantly on stage, waiting for my big trial and eventual death, becuase then, only only then, I could enjoy myself and rest.

All of these things put us Mormons and Exmormons at a disadvantage over average folks. I have had to jump thru so many mental hoops, I have spent years deprogramming my brain, bringing my ambition to enjoy life back from the evil pile. I have had to learn to be happy with reality. I have learned to put aside fairy tales, religious fantasies, delusions of gradeur, sexist and racist views, I have had to detangle truth and ethics from mormonism, I have had to extricate Jesus Christ from the mormon dogma. I was taught to be a good mormon and a terrible human being...and at the end, looking back I realize that mormonism is a cult that lies to you in order to get you to behave like someone you are not, so others will join and bring along their wallets, hearts and minds.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2013 06:55PM by kori.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: brownie ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 06:47PM

It is going to continue to be a lifelong challenge/pursuit/struggle for me to untangle the mind-fuckery that is mo(r)monism.
My hope is to find Joy in the journey.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.