Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: templenameaaron ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 09:00PM

John Dehlin Article By Gregory L. Smith (Formerly of FARMS) seemed like a fair (no pun intended) critique of Johnny boy, however I’m only 65 pages into it.

http://www.mormoninterpreter.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/SMITH1-Review-Mormon-Stories.pdf

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 09:01PM

I fell asleep about 20 pages in. Really, people care who said what to whom? What a snooze.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 09:11PM

+1

I found it last week and made it through about 10 pages before I put it down. They said this was its 4th-ish incarnation, so the original might have been more interesting reading.

Edited to add: Admin, I don't mind if you edit my post(s) to take out site references that are verboten, but please try not to remove innocuous words like "last" that make the post read like I cain't tawk guud. ;-)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2013 06:09AM by Surrender Dorothy.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: March 01, 2013 12:01AM

Damn. My paranoid self says this piece was part of tscc's plan.

Float the fact that a piece was coming that would ruin Dehlin's reputation with the saints, and therefore his impending practice, an apostle swoops in to save him after Dehlin agrees to give a weepy testimony. Then after Dehlin is on record supporting tscc, they still leak the piece to discredit him.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: March 01, 2013 12:03AM

Thats not paranoia, thats just an observation of exactly what has happened.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 01, 2013 12:05AM

My thoughts exactly.
They wrote a piece that nobody could force themselves to wade through. Really? That's a threat?
It wouldn't surprise me if John himself couldn't stay awake through those golden pages of boredom. Why would anyone be in an uproar? The BOM is more interesting.

Posted by: Taddlywog ( )
Date: March 01, 2013 12:40AM

"Also, podcasts do not provide a mechanism for source checking and citation. One does not even
expect such tools, and their absence will excite no remark whatever. There are no footnotes in podcasts.
Listeners must simply trust that a speaker is being accurate and honest with them."

Wow! Just like sitting in church.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: March 01, 2013 12:54AM

And behold, it came to pass that John Dehlin did exceedingly blah biddy blah blah blah....snore....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Let me know when somebody writes the John Dehlin Hit Piece for Dummies.

Date: March 01, 2013 03:04AM

Your piece on your cat was far more entertaining. ;)

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: March 01, 2013 12:54AM

I just finished the whole thing. Yes, I shit you not, I read the whole fucking thing.

And it really made me laugh pretty hard. I was having such a shitty night until now.

Oh sweet sexy Christ. To put THAT much work into pulling all those Facebook, postmo, and RfM quotes and organizing them into making absolutely no positive argument is hysterical.

FAIR: Look at all these "mocking" quotes against Mormonism. Boo hoo hoo. John Dehlin isn't very fair to the church. Therefore he can be dismissed outright.

Haha!

One of my favorite things in the world is on page 75. The guys at FAIR literally put together a table - a table! - entitled:

Some of the "worst talks ever given" by church leaders.

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

Holy fuck.

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

This 98 page "scholarly review" has many references to Facebook posts, that table mentioned above, AND it includes a DETAILED discussion about "axe grinding."

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

You know what? Fuck it. I'm going to re-slot The Passion of Raptor Jesus as a "peer reviewed" published scholarly journal article.

Because why the fuck not?

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 01, 2013 01:01AM

Oh my, you really are a God.
Anyone who could wade through that has to be at least super human.

Date: March 01, 2013 03:02AM

Now that you mention it, it is damn funny. I was more amazed with the footnotes and all. I was thinking of how many hours went into it. Hundreds perhaps? Their analysis of his survey on why people leave was mind-bending.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: March 01, 2013 11:04AM

FAIR: This survey WASN'T SCIENTIFIC ENOUGH; therefore, everyone who has left the church still left because they wanted to sin or was offended. And even if they said they didn't, they must have because why would they put on that survey that they wanted to sin? They wouldn't do that; therefore, they must have.

Ipso Facto.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: March 01, 2013 09:55AM

If they were really going to publish this in that Maxwell Institute review, one can easily see why the editors were fired. How embarrassing for a university to put this kind of thing out in a 'scholarly' review.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.