Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: March 01, 2013 01:41AM

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/press?lang=eng

I just saw this on FB. They show a list of changes made, but don't mention anything about changes to the text. How much do you want to bet there are some pretty good changes in "doctrine".

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: March 01, 2013 01:45AM

I found a nice piece of mincing words in the into to the POGP, regarding the translation of the BOA. Scroll down to #2.

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/pgp/introduction?lang=eng

Posted by: paintinginthewin ( )
Date: March 01, 2013 10:01AM

ah- further destabalizing routine, making the saints easier to "manage"

by taking away the stability of the doctrine;
by taking away the comfort of the scriptures long held in their hand (invalid, cannot find comfort from long memorized words & phrases or pray routine using them- must be replaced, gilt edged borders dotted pale by life's tears must be erased)
no longer held again

one more comfort peeled away

Posted by: 2thdoc ( )
Date: March 01, 2013 10:12AM

I'll betcha everyone will be encouraged to rush out and buy the latest, improved versions of the scriptures. Cha-ching!

Posted by: evanderbild ( )
Date: March 01, 2013 10:13AM

Date: March 01, 2013 10:23AM

Interesting that they didn't do one for the BOM.

Posted by: Redwing ( )
Date: March 01, 2013 10:50AM

After all, TSCC has to have some way to fill in the loss of tithing bucks. It is all about the money, folks.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: March 01, 2013 10:55AM

"The current bonded leather covers are being upgraded to a simulated leather cover in black and burgundy..."

Upgraded to plastic? That pretty much sums up the work on the text too I'll bet.

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: March 01, 2013 11:05AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2013 11:05AM by peregrine.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: March 01, 2013 11:23AM

New photos. Meaning probably removal of any bothersome facsimiles.

Posted by: bubbleboy ( )
Date: March 01, 2013 12:47PM

After a half hour skimming those documents, I'm pretty satisfied that no real significant changes have occurred. Death still began at the Fall of Adam, the Bible Chronology chart has been elevated from the Bible Dictionary to its own section, meaning the study helps still contradict scientific fact just as much as they ever have. D&C no longer has the "History of the Church" HC references, just says "according to Joseph's history..." and a few things are worded better.

The chronology of the history of the church was removed, but a more thorough one will be on the church's website. I doubt this was to hide something, but I wonder why that happened.

So no, I don't think they're changing or hiding anything. Just the church running on auto-pilot, like normal.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: March 01, 2013 12:51PM

Actually, it sounds like they are trying to downplay "History of the Church." I bet that "inspired" work is about to soon go on the chopping block.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 01, 2013 02:51PM

From what I have read, (not all of the link) it appears that the majority of the changes are for clarification. I'm surprised they are making changes.
If it is done like the past, every member will be expected to ONLY use the most current editions.

Just a side note: leather deteriorates over time. My original set is crumbling.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.