Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 05:34PM

The church teaches that the usual reason for quitting the church is "offence" (also "pride" and "sin"). I was once seriously offended by a member friend. It was hardly the reason I quit. I quit the church because it was demonstrably wrong. But I still harbor really bad feelings toward a member. Her husband was once the best boss I ever had. He's a former bishop and all, too. Anyway, his wife is a big believer in holistic healing and vitamin supplements. When my adult son was diagnosed with MS in 2005, she cornered me and said that MS is only a disease caused by aspartame in the system, and that if I'd wean him off Equal and Diet Coke, his symptoms would disappear. It horrified me that she would think that's true. Truth is, practically all active Mormons drink way too much Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi, so that most of the membership at large would have MS if this were the case; she didn't seem to understand that part. Moreover, my son doesn't drink diet drinks. He has MS, and his last episode left him partially but apparently permanently paralyzed on one side of his body. What kind of nutcake Mormon would believe sh*t like aspartame causing a carefully studied neurological disease? Ah. Right. The kind of Mormon who would believe in the Book of Mormon, that's who.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 05:40PM

You'd think if God went to all the trouble of hiding the plates for so long he would have had the sense and foresight to warn us in the Book of Mormon of the dangers of aspartame in the last days.

I drank Diet Coke for 20 years. It made me pee every 30 minutes. So I quit and now I pee every few hours like normal people. And that was that.

Posted by: a ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 05:54PM

She said that MS is caused by aspartame??? What a complete idiot.

Wow.

My mom has MS. I would be offended as well.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 05:59PM

Once again I find myself without words, shaking my head.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 07:10PM

Aspertame is an amino acid concoction derived from egg white. It can't be heated for the same reason egg white (or any protein) can't be heated - it coagulates and changes properties, in the case of Aspertame, its sweetness property.

Of course, maybe if people with MS avoid eggs too, they will be cured.

The ability of people to just make it up from whole cloth never ceases to amaze me.

Anybody remember Laetrile?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.