Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: miss anybody ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 05:55PM

A TBM friend at work gave me a DVD about Mesoamerican archaeology and The Book of Mormon. It reminded me more of an old 1980s episode of "In Search Of" with all of the ifs, perhaps, and all sorts of other qualifiers--none of the archaeologists seemed really sure about anything they were talking about.

The most surprising thing however was how the female scholars in the documentary kept gushing and swooning over Captain Moroni. I couldn't stop laughing. I didn't know if they were high on something, self-stimulating, or if they were just going to faint...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: miss anybody ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 07:33PM

I liked Jacob better--at least he's alive :0)

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 06:26PM

Certain Mormons will only refer to this mythical dude as "Captain" Moroni. It seriously freaked me out. I also hated--I mean HATED--how people would cry and carry on about the "stripling warriors" and all their talk about respecting their mothers. Who in their right mind would believe that story? I don't think I ever did, and would crawl into a hole if I found out that I did believe in it. The story is stupid and infantile.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 06:28PM

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 06:53PM

I'm better off with Captain Morgan.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 06:59PM

When people talk about characters in the Book of Mormon as if they were not just real people but romantic heroes. Knowing what I know, it's a bit surreal to hear them talk about BoM characters as living human beings but seriously, some of the women act like they had crushes on them to boot. Do you ever hear a Christian woman talking in a breathy voice about the Apostle Paul, as if she wanted to shag him?

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 07:03PM

If you know what I mean? >;oD

Posted by: edmarc ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 07:04PM

Sounds like our military after DADT is repealed.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 07:39PM

Oh, man. I have a friend who was always looking for her Captain Moroni. That's what she wanted in a guy - someone who had his character traits.

I'm sure if she could have been sealed to Captain Moroni in the next life, that would have made her very happy.

No wonder she never found such a guy though, given that the Captain himself never actually existed either.

Posted by: silhouette ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 08:56PM

I prefer Capitan Morgan, thanks.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.