Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 07:46PM

Of course no one would know about this, and there's a Starbucks up the street. And as a part of my secret rebellion(and to be American for heaven's sake!), I want to try some coffee. What do you guys suggest?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SweetZ ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 07:49PM

I'd suggest that whatever you order, you have them make it extra light extra sweet...

or maybe a latte which is by nature very light?

or one of those delicious iced coffee drinks?

Careful though sweetie.. don't forget that you're caffeine-sensitive so take it easy!

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 07:51PM

Meh, I was never fond of coffee... that goes double for Starsucks.

Tea is another story however, you should give that a try too.

Date: January 14, 2011 07:54PM

Just please keep the Earl Gray. YUCK!

Date: January 14, 2011 07:53PM

As long as it's lower than 400mg I think we are good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2011 07:54PM by anon123.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 07:52PM

that dilutes it with dairy, soy or chocolate or other flavorings. Since caffeine bothers you then diluted would be good too. You can go to their web site, and read up before you go.

Posted by: roflmao ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 07:53PM

Ok, coffee every morning here, religiously (pun intended).

My favorite is Dunkin' Doughnut coffee?

Isn't that funny!?!?

It isn't very sexy or exotic, and I can afford, and have tried, lots of the top Java out there.

To me Dunkin' Donuts, in the orange bags, is the smoothest, caramel like, smells great, little sugar and little cream, perfect coffee in the world!

I am not this passionate about everything either, I don't care for tea at all!

8-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2011 09:18PM by roflmao.

Date: January 14, 2011 07:56PM

Tea sounds interesting.

Date: January 14, 2011 07:57PM

Posted by: schuwomann ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 07:56PM

hot: toffee mocha
frozen: mocha frappucino

Posted by: BestBBQ ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 08:06PM

Please stay away from Starbucks. They over roast their coffee, but they've managed to convince a large segment of the American public that burnt = superior. It's bunk. Instead, go to a locally-owned coffee shop during their down time (probably midafternoon) and explain that you're new to coffee and aren't sure where to begin. A good barista will listen and will try to get you off on the right foot. If you don't have a good experience there, then try someplace else, but please don't go to Starbucks.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 11:48PM

I agree. The coffee at the Starbucks by me is junk too. In fact, I would rather get a coffee from McDonald's. Tastes better and it's cheaper.

Anyway, I would start with something mild like a vanilla latte or caramel macchiato. Or frappacino from Starbucks if you end up going.

Go decaf if you're not used to the caffeine so you don't get the jitters.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 11:50PM

If you are going the fast food route, the Seattle's Best at Burger King is a lot better, IMO.

Posted by: chainsofmind ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 08:12PM

I remember as a little kid, seeing people drink coffee and thinking they were evil. But then, by the time I was twelve, I was already trying the free coffee they had at Albertsons. Horrible stuff btw. Maybe thats why I apostatized. Satan got his hooks into me with coffee, and it was all down hill from there! ;)

I agree, go for a latte, or if you like chocolate, maybe a mocha. They are both espresso drinks, which is actually a very strong and concentrated brew of coffee. But by the time they mix it, it turns into a delicious treat. They can even make you one decaf, so you get the wonderful flavor without the drug.

As you probably know by now, most real world evidence points to tea and coffee actually being good for you.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 08:16PM

I just went to the 7-11 and bought one of those bottled frappuccinos that Starbucks makes. I got mocha. They are a good place to start because they are sweet and yummy, like a dessert and personally, I liked being able to NOT have to go into a Starbucks where someone might see me. Of course, that's all changed now but back in the day, I was kinda nervous so the 7-11 element worked for me. Also, the iced mocha Seattle's Best coffee at Burger King is really, really good too. Again, more of a dessert-type drink.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 08:19PM

OK, go to Starbucks and order a small iced latte with whipped cream. Stir the whipped cream into it and drink up. Yum. And you won't smell a bit like coffee.

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 08:20PM

Yes, Starbucks' coffee is very nasty. The only thing I get there are the petite vanilla scones.

I do find it ironic as hell that the main coffee place I go to is called Temple.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 11:20PM

I know I may get stoned by the coffee experts on the board, but McDonalds has cheap coffee. Good for a first timer. Like cheap booze. I mostly go to Starbucks for straight coffee, or hit the 25 cent coffee pot at work.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 11:26PM

Actually, MacDonald's makes a good iced latte. I was shocked when I tried one. I generally avoid MacDs, being a food snob. I usually avoid Starbuck's too, but iced lattes with whipped cream kind of disguises the over-roastedness.

I actually buy my coffee wholesale from Colorado Legacy coffee roasters. Really good stuff.

Posted by: roflmao ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 12:50AM

It is good. It's a good deal too.

Posted by: josh ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 11:38PM

Get some French Vanilla stuff at the store - International House I think.. You can put in just as much as is needed for taste.

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )

Perhaps your goal is actually to get as much attention as you can from any source?

Enjoy the coffee.

Date: January 14, 2011 11:56PM

Just looking for some tips and ideas and suggestions. Which I got a lot. Thanks everybody!

Posted by: Greyfort ( )

I get hot chocolate when I go to Starbucks. I've tried coffee. I love the smell of it, but the taste? *gag*

It's just nice to know that I could drink it now, if I wanted to.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 12:30AM

If you end up liking coffee I would reccomend that you try roasting your own beans. It's easy, you just need a whirly pop or an electric popcorn popper to try it out. To get unroasted beans just look em up on e-bay or go to sweetmarias.com. You have complete controll over how dark you want to roast it and it is fresh, so you get all of the flavor that is lost within the days and weeks of stagnation pre roasted beans get.

If you are super sensative to caffine you may want to go with a red tea or a Chi. I aagree with the advice to avoid Starbucks, not because I think they are nasty but because I think they are overpriced for the product they sell. It's like comparing Olive Garden to the family Italian Joint, as in there is no comparison.

Whatever you try you are building your pallate and expanding your horizons. Enjoy, and please return and report. I like hearing first impressions of such tasty things because it has been going on 15 years since I have experienced my own.

Posted by: What is Wanted ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 01:00AM

Get a cup of their regular blend. Add 2 splenda and 3 half and halfs to it and give it a taste. You can add a bit of cinanmon or vanilla if you like as well.

They use Arabica beans and it is pretty good and easy for you to sneak a cup and make it the way you like.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.