Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 06:25PM

Check this out.............
I must admit that I did not think of this.....
http://www.hlntv.com/video/2013/03/04/arias-friend-reveals-his-shocking-theory

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2013 06:30PM by enoughenoch19.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 06:45PM

Whoa did you read the comments! Life long Mos vehemently denying blood atonement! Oh boy the membership really know nothing.

Posted by: momofconvert ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 11:52PM

I just googled Jodi Arias and blood atonement after seeing the photos online of his body. I read the Under Banner of Heaven years ago; I was never a Mormon but I am the mother of a convert. I think it's entirely possible she read that book. The slicing him from ear to ear made me think of blood atonement right away. I still think SHE did it though. Who knows what goes on in that devious head.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 07:04PM

Ahh..not so fast.
Blood Atonement was meant to be used, initially for sins that could not be atoned for any other way. They were supposedly beyond the atonement of Jesus Christ.

It's clear that it's her fingerprints and her blood in the crime scene, not anyone else's. This is 100% her doing. The motive seems to be revenge for not marrying her as she expected.

She has told so many lies, you'll never get her to recount the actually killing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2013 07:05PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 09:26AM

I thought FLDS practice it. I thought I read that from a former escape child bride.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 07:08PM

That's a relic of past Mormon practice, as reportedly done in some cases in the early days of the LDS Church, and was known to have been endorsed in belief and practice by Mormon president Brigham Young (as well as advocated by LDS Church inventor, Joseph Smith).

But today? No.

This friend of Arias is nuts in claiming that Mormons will blood-atone her Mormon lover's killing at Arias' hands by killing her family as a form of supposed Mormon Church-sanctioned punishment for Arias' sin of murder.

Let's not get carried away here, people.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2013 11:21PM by steve benson.

Date: March 05, 2013 07:11PM

steve benson

+ 100000!! She was not smart enough nor had enough knowledge of Blood Atonement to use it in her act of revenge.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 07:18PM

+1 for Steve and Susie. I never knew about blood atonement until I'd done some deep reading on Mormon history. "Twilight" would be deep reading for Jodi Arias.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 07:13PM

How many people especially converts even know about blood atonement or the old temple oaths and had Jodi even been to the temple? I think it is a stretch.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 07:23PM

I was thinking the same thing.

I was BIC, and I didn't know about the blood atonement until I found Rfm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2013 07:24PM by archytas.

Date: March 05, 2013 07:28PM

THe only members who knew about it in my experience were a few liberal history teachers I worked with.Also, Jodi doesn't seem to be the type to delve into deep history

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2013 07:31PM by bona dea.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 07:51PM

I was thinking the same thing, as I doubt seriously she went to the temple. Even if she had been there, she wouldn't have done the penalties or even heard about them even being removed from the temple ceremony.

As a hormonal convert, I didn't even know about blood atonement until I had read about it while reading about the uncensored history of the church. While it's true that the victim's TBM sisters want Jodi to get the death penalty if she's convicted, it's not the same thing as blood atonement at all since death by lethal injection is the maximum sentence she would receive.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2013 07:55PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: Boomer ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 12:10AM

In the 70s converts were taught blood atonement, that some sins (murder) were beyond the power of Jesus' atonement.

Date: March 05, 2013 07:17PM

Ahh, maybe I'm missing something.

I thought someone was trying to claim that Jodi was acting out Blood Atonement by killing Travis.

Now someone is saying that she will get the death penalty and die to satisfy Blood Atonement? AZ it appears, only has lethal injection so that doesn't work either.

Nope. Neither ideas work.

Date: March 05, 2013 07:33PM

The CNN webpage linked in the OP inaccurately declares:

"Arias friend suggests Travis Alexander may have been killed by Mormons in ‘blood atonement’ ritual."

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2013/03/04/arias-friend-reveals-his-shocking-theory

That is not what this reported friend of Arias is saying.

This friend is asserting (and doing so falsely, I might add) that Mormons bent on "blood-atonement" revenge will supposedly come after Arias' own family in a Mormon Cburch-sanctioned blood-killing response in order to avenge Arias' murder of fellow Mormon Travis Alexander. That is why, this uninformed friend says, Arias is concoting her own story of what happened in the killing of Alexander.

This is ridiculous. The Mormon Church does not endorse that kind of "blood-atoning" killing in present-day belief or practice.

Basic fact-checking failed CNN's producers here.

Buying this line will only make gullible RfMers out there look insanely uneducated and stupid. Don't fall for it.

Edited 13 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2013 11:22PM by steve benson.

Posted by: De Coder Ring ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 07:59PM

Though inaccurate, it would be nice for the subject of Blood Atonement to come up in the national media. Particularly if a reporter would do an accurate indepth story about the former practice, and how the current LDS corporation ignores and changes its real history.

Posted by: karriew ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 08:15PM

How soon the Utah people forget.

Remember Gary Mark Gilmore? Gilmore was the first person executed in the U.S. since the death penalty was taken off the books in 1972. Allegedly, the world was 'shocked' because Gilmore wanted to be executed by firing squad. People thought that was barbaric, but Utah had executed 50 people via firing squad. I actually looked up that number because I wanted to make an informed response, not some one word onomatopoeia that I see so often in responses to questions. TSCC knew what Gilmore was up to.

Gilmore was a good TBM, although he was excommunicated upon conviction for aggravated murder, he was promised entry into the Celestial Heaven after death. Isn't that nice.

Ms. Arias may have heard about the 'blood atonement' factor, but she must have also heard that it is only good if the person being killed and spilling his blood as atonement took an innocent life. As if the work of Jesus on the cross was not enough.

Date: March 05, 2013 08:25PM

I have heard that about Gilmore too,but he chose to have a Catholic priest with him at his execution instead of a Mormon bishop. Doesn't sound too Mormon to me. I took an Italian class from the priest who described Gilmore' s death.

Posted by: karriew ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 11:32PM

I do not doubt you. I was not there, but I read an article about some moRon bishop that was talking to Gilmore before his execution. Then again, consider the source.

Date: March 05, 2013 08:26PM

Utah's firing squad method of execution of present-day and future condemned murderers has since been abandoned in favor of lethal injection, with one exception:

For those Utah inmates presently on death row who were previously convicted and sentenced to death by firing squad, they now have the choice of either execution by firing squad or by lethal injection (hanging, which was also officially used to kill people in Utah, is no longer an option).

However, no defendants who are sentenced to death in present-day Utah (where only lethal injection is now used for execution of the condemned) can opt for a firing squad. They go to their death via the IV, not the bullet.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2013 11:25PM by steve benson.

Date: March 05, 2013 08:36PM

I didn't say I believed the person who said this. I just thought it was interesting.
One thing though - please don't assume Jodi didn't know about these Mo-isms, (i.e. temple rituals, church history, etc). She has the same internet as we do and TSCC believes that the internet is ruining TSCC for obvious reasons. As a convert, Jodi may have dug a bit deeper than some converts do. Her reason for joining (so they say) was for Travis. I don't think she is a TBM, a believer! (PLEEZE!)
I don't believe that Jodi is as stupid as she may appear (in the blond shots). No disrespect to blonds, but Jodi specifically looks stupid as a blond. Many blonds look intelligent, I am only referring to Jodi here. Her vocabulary etc. lead me to believe that she is not stupid. She is not a rocket scientist either..........I'm just saying.....
And, there are blood atonement deaths still taking place in Colorado City, seldom but it does happen.

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 09:56PM

Okay, so blondes can look dumb or not look dumb?

How do you tell the difference between what a dumb blonde and a smart blonde looks like? Is there a marker? Like one has a big nose? The other has long eyelashes? Do these characteristics still apply when one dies their hair blonde?

Care to cite any facts to support your assertion that 'blood atonement' is still practiced in Colorado City? Anything?

Date: March 05, 2013 10:08PM

CNN's webpage on the matter got it entirely wrong, plus there's no cited or in-court-presented evidence to suggest that Arias was relying on an LDS temple endowment ceremony (one concocted by the Mormon Church before her time, no less) that invoked symbolic throat cutting as her supposed source of murderous "inspiration."

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2013 11:25PM by steve benson.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 08:56PM

All you have to do is read John Krakauer's 2003 book "Under the Banner of Heaven" to have known about blood atonement. It was a very popular book, a best seller for months or years. Many people that know little about Mormons learned about the cult from Krakauer.

There are several quotes from Brigham Young concerning it. I believe that it was just a doctrinal excuse to kill its own members, apostates and Smith's many "enemies". It probably came along with the Danites to "use someone up" as it was expressed more delicately. Thomas Marsh was in fear of his life and believed that he would be killed by the the Smith brothers. There are reports of Joseph Smith preaching blood atonement. I think even "Big Love" touched on it in the popular HBO show (season 4, episode 7). It is not as obscure as you may think. Utard has the firing squad because of it and Gary Gilmore execution had books, movies and huge television coverage. All Utah Mormons had to be aware of the blood atonement but apparently have very short memories. I knew of it, even being raised in California.

I doubt that Arias knew of the 19th Century doctrine prior to the murders, that has still been carried out in the 20th Century by the LaBarons and other Fundies, but she is very smart and manipulative. She wanted to act as her own attorney.

It is the cult's own fault for having such a dark, lurid, and violent past.

Date: March 05, 2013 09:05PM

I still think it's takes someone with a particularly fundamentalist bent to "honor" the blood atonement.

Even if she were aware of the idea, which I highly doubt, I don't see why she would feel motivated to enact an obscure Mormon doctrine.

I find the jealousy angle to be far more parsimonious.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2013 10:01PM by archytas.

Date: March 05, 2013 09:35PM

There is a simple explanation, jealousy coupled with instability, and the complicated idea that she knew about old and no longer used Mormon practices and attempted to carry them out on Travis. I go with the simple one. Besides there are limited ways to kill people and limited body parts to stab. She seemed to have picked the ones which would cause death-heart and throat. As for the over kill, that is extremely common in rage killings.It shows the people knew each other because a stranger wouldn't care that much.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 09:06AM

archytas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I find the jealousy angle to be far more
> parsimonious.

??

Date: March 05, 2013 10:30PM

I do wish they'd stop making such a big deal that Jodi "SWORE ON A BIBLE." So what? I wish someone would point out that Mos don't think the Bible is true b/c it was translated wrong so if Jodi is pretending to be a "dirty secret TBM", she has to think it was translated wrong. She might just as well swear on a gum wrapper.

Date: March 05, 2013 10:30PM

Date: March 05, 2013 10:32PM

Haha! Ya, plenty of perjury has been commited under a biblical oath.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2013 10:34PM by archytas.

Posted by: Televisor ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 10:44PM

I saw the interview with Bryan Carr last night--well, saw the HNL people as they interviewd him by phone--and heard him differently than some of you have. I did not hear anything about her justifying her actions in terms of blood atonement, nor anything about Mormons seeking blood atonement against Travis's murderer. What I heard Carr say was that Arias's Ninja theory was true, that Mormon vigilantes had killed Travis because he violated the LDS sexual code. Jodi switched to her third story of self defence because she was scared that the Mormons might now come after her family if she told the truth. The theory is ridiculous, of course, but Jodi and her minions are just throwing dust in the air in the hope that people get blinded to the truth. She is lucky to have been found by Carr, an idiot who is eager to do her bidding.

On Gilmore, I don't think it's possible to describe him as Mormon in any significant way--at least in the years before his arrest and later execution. His brother Mikal, who wrote for Rolling Stone, did a great biography of him called "Shot in the Heart." It is much more than a "true crime" book, rich in psychological insight and well written. I think Mikal did raise the possibility that part of Gary wanted to have his blood spilled because of the notion of blood atonement that he learned about when young, but simple self-hatred could have done the trick.

It's interesting to compare the two killers. When the defense was first interviewing Jodi, she came across as a borderline, a waif who was tossed about by life and sought identity in others and in religion. But as the prosecutor went into action, she seemed a lot more sociopathic: colder, more calculating, without emotion rather than overwhelmed by emotion. Gilmore, though, seemed much less capable of control and manipulation. His rage and impulsiveness were so powerful that I don't think he could spin as many lies as Arias without losing his composure. So perhaps he is closer to the borderline category and she to the sociopathic end of the spectrum. It's frightening to see what childhood abuse can do to people.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 12:22AM

I don't think she's smart enough to put those 2 things together. Jealous rage and blood atonement ritual just happen to be similar in this case I think.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.