Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 04:10AM

In the new edition of the LDS standard works, the introduction to the Book of Abraham now reads, "The Book of Abraham. An inspired translation of the writings of Abraham. Joseph Smith began the translation in 1835 after obtaining some Egyptian papyri. The translation was published serially in the Times and Seasons beginning March 1, 1842, at Nauvoo, Illinois."

We have to guard the proof that the LDS used to belive that the papyri contained the actual writings of Abraham.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nofear ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 04:36AM

For the same reason, we are keeping our LDS books and manuals.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 09:14AM

Scan the evidence, put it on the internet.

Posted by: anoninnv ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 01:16PM

Agreed. Bumping.

Posted by: Feijoada ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 01:44PM

Facsimilies and references thereto will have to go too. Most unborn who are yet to be BIC will never know.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 02:08PM

Tell ya what, I've held onto my 1969 editions all these years, partly just for this reason. But I'm doing some serious downsizing and have no further desire to schlep these books around. So YOU guys hold onto yours, scan them, whatever. Mine are going to the dump.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 10:25PM

Stray Mutt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tell ya what, I've held onto my 1969 editions all
> these years, partly just for this reason. But I'm
> doing some serious downsizing and have no further
> desire to schlep these books around. So YOU guys
> hold onto yours, scan them, whatever. Mine are
> going to the dump.

I want 'em. I'll pay shipping. I don't know the current board rules about contact info; either they've changed since the last time I had outside contact, or that exchange went under the radar. Assuming you're willing, how do we make this happen?

Posted by: slimchance ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 02:22PM

I inherited some church books from my great aunt. They are great sources to show what the so-called prophets really preached. Some of the books include "Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith - Compiled by Joseph Fielding Smith", "Discourses of Brigham Young" (1925 printing), and copies of some of the source material that was used by B.H. Roberts to compile the "History of the Church".

Most of the material is actually boring and the real "meaty" quotes are more easily found by reading stuff from authors like Michael Quinn or Fawn Brodie but it's fun to have the church publications. TBMs might dismiss accurate quotes from the prophets just because they are cited by someone they consider dangerous like Quinn or Brodie. I like having what they call anti-mormon material in books that came from the church's Historian's Office and/or was printed by Deseret Book.

I also have some more recently published books that provide an excellent picture of what early church members believed and practiced. One example is "Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt". I kind of chuckle about that one. My father gave me that book as a way to strengthen my testimony. However, it just made me realize polygamy was more vulgar and disgusting than I had imagined, Parley was far from a martyr, and church leaders were decietful and deceptive in order to hide the church's true doctrine.

Back to the point of the OP. Save the evidence that the bretheren wish would disappear. Don't let them "pervert" the doctrine that Joseph Smith "restored".

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 04:14PM

Too late...well almost...only got a Quad left...

Ron Burr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2013 04:14PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 05:37PM

I always used my old triple given to me by my father, a failed Mormon who bowed out but said that he wanted me to carry on and be a good Mormon. He used touching words, and died shortly afterward. Anyway, it is the pre-1981 version in which the D&C used pseudonyms for certain people, like "Gazelam" for Joseph Smith, "Mehemson" for Martin Harris, and "Pelagoram" for Sidney Rigdon. Weird stuff.

Pelagoram is a good name for something you take for acid reflux.

Posted by: altava ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 01:20AM

I was planning on keeping mine when I find them. (I assume they are in my car somewhere...it's sort of a pit at the moment oops.) But I don't like throwing away books regardless of their content and it does contain the bible. So I'll just bury it somewhere. Although this added info makes me think it's a good idea to keep them around. Just in case.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.