Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: The Matrix ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 03:34PM

Today in SS we learned about how good of a relationship Emma and Joe had as a loving couple who cared and supported one another. If only the rest of us could love and care for our spouses the way that they did. I wanted to throw up. If my wife was not in there I would have asked aboyt the other 30 woman we never talk about.

For those of you who have your entire families out I envy you. For the rest of us that sit through the bullshit each week, hang in there and keep breaking down the walls brick by brick on the believers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: staind ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 03:55PM

Lol. I had to bite my toungue several times in SS today as well. Ours had a very "elitist", "why we're special compared to other faiths" feel to it.

I don't think the instructor intended it that way but within the culture they just don't realize what they say and how it comes across.

Got a text from my buddy during church. He had a huge wtf moment while preparing his ss lesson today on some early church history stuff. He's a good dude who's family is totally committed. He grins and bears it. This site would knock him on his ass. It would also destroy his family if he ever left so I leave it alone.

Very curious what percentage of any given congregation are that way.

It's not unique to mormonism either. I think every faith is mixed between "life and death" believers and "ya whatever, this is good thing for my family so I'll roll with it" types.

Church has actually become really entertaining, just as an observation thing. Really fascinating to watch and listen.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 05:21PM

Destroy his family, but this also keeps the virus alive. I don't know the exact, 100% solution, but head in sand, or watchful waiting is not a solution either. The virus spreads.

Posted by: luminouswatcher ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 04:06PM

Did you ask your wife to follow Emma's example and support you in the maintenance of several other women on the side. Now that is love.

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 05:16PM

+1 *snort*

Posted by: rd4jesus ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 04:10PM

In my Christian church we talked about sex and how it's a gift from God for two people to be one flesh. I'd like to hear someone say that in Sacrament meeting.

Posted by: Stormin ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 05:10PM

I learned to not get involved in negative fights you cannot win on UTUBE ----- Joel Osteen is great, very positive and uplifting, for people that want a postive Christian 25 minute sermon each day/Sunday. I also watched an hour of Shawn McCreany (hotm.com) an exmormon preacher that teaches 30 minutes of Mormon topics and slams them with common sence and Biblical doctrine then has 30 minutes of call ins ------ very entertaining.

My TBW went to 3 hr block and then another ward conference. Doubt she learned anything as she admits doctrine just gives her a headache. I will attend at least some of Stake conference as they have already announced (because of rumors) the Stake presidency will be changed. I want to know which of my TB friends are pridefull enough to 'humbly' step up. Don't know if I should congratulate them (and not tell them it is not a complement) or just say great (as this is just great you have done something so stupid to do the Corp. business of securing tithe paying simpletons no matter how poor they are, continue to brainwash children in Primary and Sunday School, and put pressure on kids to go on missions instead of continuing their educations)?

This is the 2nd time of not attending any meeting after resigning all my positions because I could not live with giving others the impression I was a TBM or hearing the lies taught in church ----- but emphasised the first reason only! It was a very enjoyable morning that ended with a nice walk and playing with 2 grandkids at the local park.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 10:07PM

As a BAC, Joel Osteen gives me the creeps.

Posted by: anoninnv ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 11:36PM

Joel Osteen has his good points. I have a problem with, what I call, the "overly positive", though. It's unrealistic and normally succeeds in making people feel like failures or at the very least depressed when they're trying to live up to their assimilated unreal expectations.

Posted by: zelphthegreat ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 06:07PM

Should have asked about Emma trying to kill Joseph by poisoning his coffee.

Posted by: albertasaurus ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 12:17AM

Silly Joey didn't drink coffee, it's against the word of wisdom!

Posted by: Boomer ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 03:38AM

And about Emma getting so mad about a "celestial marriage" to Eliza Snow that she pushed pregnant Eliza down a staircase and caused a miscarriage. Tsk tsk. Such goings-on in an eternal family.

Date: March 10, 2013 06:19PM

Wife and kids just got back from 3 hours at TSCC. Wife said people are treating her funny now that I had my name removed. My boy's primary teacher handed him a paper telling him to ask me when was the last time I gave him a priesthood blessing. (Manipulation). Maybe I should give him a priesthood blessing and invoke the Holy Budweiser Priesthood as my change. I still believe in Christ, I guess I could give a blessing but state that it's through his faith in Christ and not by any authority which I wield.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 06:33PM

I would have a chat with that primary teacher. Then I would have a chat with the bishop. I would also tape record them (hidden, if your state allows that) for later use in a conversation with DW when needed. Nothing is quite as effective as hearing the words straight from the person's mouth. It leaves no room for doubt and your DW won't be able to say you're making shit up or embellishing things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2013 06:34PM by Bite Me.

Date: March 10, 2013 11:27PM

I showed DW the piece of paper. She said that no harm was intended. I call bulls***!

Posted by: anoninnv ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 11:38PM

Unless he's planning on using it in court, there's no reason to check the laws.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 12:48AM

Some jurisdictions make it illegal to record a conversation
without the other person's knowledge.

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 06:22PM

We learned the Ancient Jewish significance of "light" as in "I am the Light of the World." Pretty interesting.

Posted by: too much joy ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 07:07PM

Why do you people still go there?

Church would put me in a foul mood for days afterwards. No one benefitted from that. My children made a fuss about going to church, and one day I sat them down and asked them exactly WHY they hated church so much. They told me, in detail, that some of the leaders had been abusive. My kids were good kids--but no child deserves treatment like that. Other children were abused, too. I had been ill and not able to keep track of what was going on with my children. The Mormons separate the children from their parents, anyway. We all resigned together.

Not only do you still attend what you know is a hoax cult, but you make your children go! I don't understand that. You need to read the Primary and Ym/Yw manuals, investigate the campouts (my daughter was molested at a ward campout), observe how the scout leaders bully the boys. Open your eyes.

Have a peaceful, happy, family Sunday experience at a normal Christian church. You will find the sermons to be actually uplifting! The people are loving, and know how to serve the needy. Get un-stuck.

Date: March 10, 2013 11:31PM

I agree, going to a Christian church has been uplifting for me also. I have friends who've left to become Atheist say that they feel liberated. I suppose if that works for them. I'm in a 12 step-program and just could not figure out who would be my higher power if it were not Christ. Besides that, I actually believe the story of Christ. To each his own. I've noticed that Christians on these boards get accused of proselyting. I don't think you're proselyting, just sharing an experience that helped you to get out of the cult and still feel like you were showing gratitude to your higher power for His (or Her) love.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 12:42AM

Not all of us can do that TMJ. my husband says no on other churches and is adamant that out daughter can't go to one. And Some of us aren't so lucky to be able to get our family out in one piece. It takes patience and finesse. Some of us are almost forced to attend unless we want to divorce and see our kids 50 percent of the time or be pushed out altogether. I even find myself feeling jealous of families who leave together. Envious. Sometime even upsetting to where I don't feel like hearing about it. Well really I DO want to because it can give me hope but sometimes has the opposite effect on me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2013 12:44AM by suckafoo.

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 08:18PM

But that was awfully preachy!

Glad the experience of christian sundays is working for you and your family. Glad you were able to get out of the cult of mormonism as a family. Many here are not in the same position, nor are they interested in being told to go to church in any way, shape or form.

Matrix - thanks for the update - good luck to you and your family - keep chipping away!

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 08:48PM

I agree, msmom. People have to continue to go to church after they find out the truth for a number of reasons. I went for a while and slowly disengaged, knowing DH would respond best if I wasn't militant about it, like joy is. It would be ideal someone can just leave but it isn't always for the best. If going slowly will preserve your marriage, your influence with your kids and is the best way to convince them to leave, then that is what you do. You have to know your family and work your plan in the best interest of everyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2013 08:48PM by CA girl.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 08:23AM

I don't even have the situation others do. My daughter at age 27 chooses to go--like I can stop her. The rest of my immediate family is OUT. BUT I still agree that everyone has to do it their own way--and if going to support your wife and kids rather than destroy the family is the way to go--then do it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2013 08:23AM by cl2.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 09:10PM

Didn't Emma drag the housegirl down the stairs after learning of the girl's trysts with Joseph? Seems that was in the Emma Smith biography, if I recall correctly. Doesn't sound like a happy household to me.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 09:50PM

Emma pushed Eliza R. Snow down the stairs and beat her with a broomstick, after she caught JS diddling her in a side bedroom of their house.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 10:48PM

Thanks, Glo. That memory is a bit hazy to me.

Posted by: moira ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 11:35PM

I had also heard that caused Eliza to miscarry. Can anyone else confirm?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 08:24AM

by Orson Scott Card.

Posted by: delt1995 ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 09:14PM

It amazed me when I, a never-mo married a TBM, and I saw a book celebrating the marriage and love lettters of Joseph and Emma Smith. No mention anywhere that Joseph practiced polygamy later. Does the LDS Church think the membership will never learn of this ?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Love+Letters+of+Joseph+and+Emma+

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2013 09:21PM by delt1995.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 09:50PM

DH and I were at a flea market today. Just so happens that the people from church all drive by that market to get home when church lets out.

DH stood out there and waved at them as they all drove by. Not a single person waved back. They have no sense of humor.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 07:35AM

*hand goes up*

"Yes Brother Stumbling?"

"Did Joseph have that kind of relationship with all his wives and how did he have that relationship with his wives that already had other living husbands?"

*crickets*

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.