Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anothercasualty ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 07:18PM

Everything that is written or said about the church. This was before the days of the Internet so they mostly collected books and videos and newspaper articles.

Recently I've been thinking of what a monumental task this would be today. They would need an entire team just to stay up on RFM. If you guys are out there, copy/paste must be your best friend!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: snb ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 07:23PM

Most likely they would employ a web crawling or data mining program. Wouldn't be too difficult either.

Posted by: too much joy ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 07:28PM

Senior couples missionaries do that non-stop, for free. The also use the "delete" button a lot.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 07:28PM

There was a company in Provo called Burrells Clipping Service or something like that. I know that back in the 60's and 70's it employed a lot of people who clipped newspaper and magazine articles about the church and I remember someone told me that the Osmonds had hired them to clip anything about them.

I wonder if that place even exists anymore.

Posted by: spintobear ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 09:22PM

My sister worked for Burrells for a while. She spent her days listening to recorded radio broadcasts and had several hundred key words and names to pick out when they were mentioned. LDS church and its leaders were among the names she was supposed to log the info that was mentioned or talked about..

Posted by: SureSignOfTheNail ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 10:18PM

They're still around, though named slightly differently:

http://www.burrellesluce.com/

I used to hear of them all the time when watching news broadcasts years ago... for a transcript, please write to Burrelles Transcripts.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.