Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brothergalileo ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 08:34PM

If I wanted to apply for a generic business/technical job in a non mormon location how does a 2 year mission look on a resume? Normally I don't think a resume should include to many personal details like religion, however what if i advertised it as did door to door sales and administrative/leadership work for the church. Or also I can market it as volunteer/community service work.

What are your thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 08:54PM

You have massive door to door sales experience. I say use it on your resume, but there's probably no need to bring up any kind of doctrine.

Just my thought.

Posted by: delt1995 ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 10:29PM

It's great if you are going to work in multi-level / mlm or affinity marketing.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 10:34PM

The LDS mission is a scam, but your service wasn't. Just don't put it as job experience. I would put it in an appropriate service section and leave out the part that it was a proselytizing mission. If you are asked be honest and try to find relevant info to share.

Posted by: NeverBeenaMormon ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 08:37AM

Employers will LOVE you if you picked up a language on your mission. Emphasise that plus add something on that shows you've moved on, like that you enjoy drinking coffee or going hiking on Sundays. FYI some personal info makes you look more human in a job application

Posted by: brothergalileo ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 11:57AM

Ha english speaking didnt learn any useful skills. And no i dont want to do sales/marketing...

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 12:11PM

I think putting it under service/volunteer work and listing skills you learned (time management, relationship building, public speaking, etc.) is probably best. Also list any leadership positions.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.