Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fred ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 10:29PM

I have posted here several times about resignation. I have been thinking a lot about this recently, even talking to my therapist, about resignation. I am interested in resigning so my kids don't get bombarded in our moderately high LDS population as they grow up. I really hate the love bombing too.

I do have some reservations too. Mainly about family relationships. My family did not respond well to my decision of not going anymore. I haven't really spoken with my family for the past year because of it. I do not see myself being a part of any religion in the future.

I feel that I would be hiding something from my family if i were to resign. Like a big secret. I imagine that at the next family gathering (assuming that there will be one) I will feel as if i have a secret. Maybe I'm not good at keeping secrets. Good thing I wasn't bishop.

Any suggestions for getting past the "I have a secret feeling?"

I have thought of several neat days to resign. My birthday is coming up, April 6th (lots of church/and personal history), my wife's birthday (as a gift) or Independence day (for obvious reasons)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 10:45PM

Re: Feeling like you're hiding something if you resign

In your heart, are you a Mormon right now? No, I didn't think so. You are already out. All that resigning will do is inform the LDS church that you aren't a member anymore. Resigning doesn't change anything for you; you are already not a Mormon. And if it isn't a change for you, you aren't hiding anything if you don't mention it.

Posted by: SureSignOfTheNail ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 11:01PM

Given that you're going to do it for your wife's birthday as a gift, I assume she's not in either.

Therefore, I wouldn't hold back. Do it as soon as possible and create a new "emancipation day" to celebrate!

Every formal resignation makes it abundantly clear to the leadership that their retention strategies are failing. So don't hesitate, if only for that fact.

Posted by: noncompete ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 11:05PM

The nice thing about resigning is that you can look someone in the eye and say "no I am not a Mormon."

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 11:06PM

OK, kidding, but there is some truth in that charge. It's been ten years for me, and my extended family still doesn't know I resigned. I would admit it if asked, but see no particular point in bringing it up.

BTW, I resigned on Independence Day. Makes the annual fireworks displays a little extra enjoyable

Posted by: Stormin ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 11:20PM

I resigned all my callings 2 weeks ago. At the same time I sent an email to the Bishop/etc leaders I also sent an email to all my TBM kids to let them know I was resigning my callings and had already quit paying tithing long ago. I also bore my testimony (negative) of Joseph Smith and the Church giving them a synopsis of Joseph lieing,fraud and adultry. I did bear a positive testimony of the need to get a better relationship with Christ (I have had numerous documented experiences so I am still Christian but mainly worshipping over the internet and not paying a dime).

After 2 weeks so far so good. I told them if they wanted any more specific information so they could review it themselves we would have to talk privately and not in front of the family as wife is still TBM. We had dinner today as a family at one of the kids homes and everything seemed normal no tensions, etc.

None of the kids seem like they want to know more now (one specifically said they were not interested in researching this now another is not in the church anyway but 2 still TBMs) ----- so maybe I have just planted seeds that hopefully germinate when they get tired of cleaning church urinals, attending meaningless meetings or temple or trying to budget when paying tithing. I feel true Freedom from the bondage of false prophets! My goal is to stay grounded in Christ and be patient so I am ready to help them when they are ready.

Posted by: mootman ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 11:28PM

I think I feel the same way as you. I resigned about 5 years ago. I hardly ever speak to my family anymore. I respond to your post only to say I still have not figured out the answer to your question, after much reflection and searching, I assure you. Mormonism is all my family ever thinks or talks about. Prayers. Callings this. Ward activity that. Bishop X says this. Cousin That is going on a mission to ______. It never ends. I just can't relate anymore.

Date: March 11, 2013 12:40AM

Sounds like we must be related in some way

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 11:40PM

Something to keep in mind.

I believe that if you resign it will show on your parents' membership records. So they are likely to find out at their next tithing settlement.

Date: March 11, 2013 12:49AM

Can you tell me exactly how it will show up? This is one of my main concerns.

Posted by: notanymore ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 10:48AM

moving this to top for more replies

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.