Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 01:33AM

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/phoenix/gallery/images/phoenix-mormon-temple1.jpg

So back when the mormon chuch started to get zoning issues resolved, the neighbors put up a serious stink. There was all sorts of fights about the height of it. The neighbors won and the mormon church had to build a short one. The original design didn't have these flips at the corners of the building, but the short rendering did. When I first saw the renderings, I thought it looked like the temple was giving the middle finger at each corner.

I thought, "oh, they'll not put that ugly things on the actual building", but today there are pics of the Middle Fingers on the building itself (under construction)

Am I the only one that sees this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nevermoaz ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 04:33AM

No, I see it too. But Gawd, that is an ugly building

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 07:41AM

That building is truly hideous.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 08:23AM

The look like index fingers to me. Pointing to....?

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 11:07AM

http://www.azcentral.com/community/northvalley/articles/2010/01/08/20100108-mormon-temple-opposition.html?nclick_check=1

So, not only do they want to exceed the allowable building height, they will also go way beyond exceeding it, with the very high steeple almost 30 feet above that limit?

Has that plan been altered from this proposed one, from earlier in the fight?

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 11:16AM

I'm not sure I see a middle finger but it is absolutely pointless and silly to have those tiny "fingers" on the corners. They don't look good, the proportion is wrong and they serve no purpose. They aren't aesthetically pleasing. It just looks wrong and probably cost them a pretty penny to look ridiculous.

Maybe it's a metaphor for Mormonism.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 11:20AM

As a visually oriented art historian I take the aesthetic world quite seriously.

The first time I ever saw a Mormon temple (Salt Lake) I was overwhelmed by the sense of "weirdness" it conveyed. Oh yes, it was big an imposing like a cathedral and yes, made of stone but it seemed to scream "something here isn't right...something is peculiar...and not in a good way".

All Mormon temples scream that to me. It is more than just a sense of being different, it is the udeniable impression that there is something sort of sinister about this place.

When they start making their temples to look like Christian churches is when we all have to worry....

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 11:26AM

referred to as

Surrender, Dorothys.

but yeah, that's one fugly SD.

Posted by: moe ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 01:13PM

Must be the same guy that designed the initial concept for the world trade center.
Looks so similar, theres just something about it.

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/funnypictures/ig/100-Funny-Pictures/New-World-Trade-Center.htm

Posted by: ForcedToBeMorg ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 02:01PM

The locals might as well give up. TSCC will use their money and political influence to buy what they want and compel local members to support it. Just ask the people in Provo, near the MTC!

Posted by: Jody Arias the temple ordinance worker ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 03:02PM

As the head of the church's PR movement in the Maricopa county region for the year 2013, I think its time for us to start administering some temple oath penalty ordinances upon the contentious neighborhood. Several years ago there was a righteous RM who had some problems with his law of chastity oath so I administered ......

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.