Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jackjoseph ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 10:27AM

My bishop (who I quite like and have a lot of respect for) knows I have major problems with the BOM, so he asked for a list of questions.

I'd love any suggestions to make the list more powerful.

Also, giving credit where it's due, I borrowed a lot of material from bc's fantastic posts. Especially this one: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,762097.

* How can the Book of Mormon be an authentic historic document when it borrows so heavily from future works?
- There are compelling parallels with View of the Hebrews[1] throughout the entire book.
+ Elder B. H. Roberts concluded it hardly leaves a case for mere coincidence.[2]
- Nephi quotes chapters from Isaiah that weren’t written until after Lehi left Jerusalem.[3]
- Joseph Smith’s father had a dream that was nearly identical to Lehi’s tree of life vision.
- The BOM incorporates several errors made by the KJV translators in the 1600’s.[4]
+ So either God or Joseph copied the KJV instead of translating those verses.
+ 3 Nephi 14:1 doesn’t incorporate the JST from Matthew 7:1.
- Moroni plagiarizes Paul’s discourse on charity.[5]

* There is little to no Archaeological evidence that supports the Book of Mormon.
- Where are the remains from the wealthy, utopian, city building, industrious, Christ worshipping, gold and silver mining, society described in 4th Nephi?
+ The society was spread upon all the face of the land.
+ It lasted longer than the USA has been a country.
- Archaeologists haven’t found one pre-colombian metal sword.
+ The Nephites knew how to work with metal. The plates were made of metal.
+ They said their swords were metal.[6] And their swords could chop off arms.
+ They modeled their swords after the sword of Laban.[7]
+ Joseph Smith saw the sword of Laban. It looked like a sword.
+ Where are all the swords from the relentless warfare?
- Where is the evidence that they had so many elements of Old World culture (wheat, barley, figs, grapes, flax, horses, sheep, cattle, elephants, bees, silk, shipbuilding, chariots, wheels, sails, coins)?
- Why doesn’t it mention chocolate, corn, lima beans, squash, potatoes, or tomatoes?
- The Smithsonian Institute released a statement that there is no archeological evidence to support the Book of Mormon. They also went on to list several reasons why the archeology indicates the Book of Mormon people never existed.
- To satisfy the population statistics, they would have had to maintain an unrealistic growth rate for their time (unless they assimilated into another population).
- Why doesn’t the Church excavate the hill Cumorah to find if the cave full of Book of Mormon records and artifacts that Brigham Young talked about is really there?

* Where is the LDS and/or Jewish doctrine? The Book of Mormon reads like popular Christian sentiment from 19th century America.
- Several passages are compatible with or even promote the Trinity doctrine.[8]
+ The Luke 10:22 JST suggests Joseph Smith originally espoused the Trinity.
- No mention that God has a body. No passages that directly state God and Christ are separate beings with more clarity than the Bible.
- No mention of the preexistence, that God is the father of our spirits, baptism for the dead, the endowment, garments, sealings, degrees of glory, or exaltation.
- Mortal life is our only chance to work out our salvation.[9]
- There are two possible fates after death: Eternal Life or Hell.
- It supports the notion that one wrong thought right before death can condemn you.[10]
- The Holy Ghost is received after baptism automatically, not by ordinance.
- Jesus’s church didn’t have a first presidency; just twelve apostles.
- No mention of most LDS church structure.
- No differentiation between Aaronic and Melchizedek priesthoods.
- Men are called of God directly, not through existing priesthood authority.[11] This opposes LDS protocol.
- David and Solomon’s polygamy is denounced, but the D&C approves of it.[12]
- Minimal emphasis on Jewish tradition. Mixing Christianity and the law of Moses is confusing.

* New DNA evidence and inconsistencies between Mayan and Aztec civilizations vs. Book of Mormon ones has forced the Church to take a stance that:
- Several civilizations coexisted in the New World during Book of Mormon times.
- The Book of Mormon people were the minority.
* Why does the text not support this? Why didn’t the Church know this all along?
- The introduction used to say the Lamanites were the “principal ancestors” of the Indians.
- Nephi identifies the Indians conquered by early American settlers as Lamanites.[13]
- Lehi makes it clear that the promised land is set aside for them alone.[14]
- The Mulekites and Coriantumr are both mentioned at the end of the small plates, in spite of space limitations.[15] There is no reference to any other groups of people.
- Joseph Smith and Brigham Young were prophets and they clearly stated on many occasions that the Indians in North and South America were of Lamanite origin.
- Spencer W. Kimball said the students in the Indian placement program were Lamanites.
- I was taught my entire life that Indians were Lamanites.

* There are several passages that I find troubling.
- Moroni’s promise doesn’t work in my experience.
- Nephi kills Laban because he feels compelled to.[16]
+ A feeling is not sufficient to justify killing, even if the victim is a bad person.
+ Killing so a nation won’t “dwindle and perish in unbelief” is terrorism.
- The Lord says he’s never before shown himself unto man, but he’s already revealed himself to Enoch.[17]
- The Lord says the barges can’t have windows or they’ll be dashed to pieces.[18]
+ But the Romans were the first known civilization to have glass windows.[19]
- When the Lamanites unite with the Nephites their skin turns white.[20]
+ Their dark skin is described with racist words like sore cursing, not enticing, iniquity, loathsome, idle, mischief, scourge, etc.[21]
- The Jaredite barges and voyage are not plausible.
- The Jaredite final battle is not realistic.
- Alma baptizes himself.[22]
- The Nephites appoint 15-year-old Mormon to lead their armies because he’s really big.[23]
- The Tower of Babel is the setting for real history.[24]
+ Accepting the BOM requires literal belief in the Tower of Babel story.
- God threatens to make treasures too slippery to pick up.[25]
- Swords and tools disappear when left unattended overnight.[26]
- Joseph in Egypt prophesies of the BOM. He even predicts Joseph Smith’s name.[27]
+ Why are these prophecies only found in the BOM and JST?
- The acquisition of the brass plates is not sensible.
- Even though he changed farthing to senine, Jesus says the Aramaic word mammon to Nephites.[28]
- God preserves all the stripling warriors because they have a lot of faith.[29]
- The account of Sherem and Korihor read like morality plays.
- The story of Ammon reads like a melodrama.
- Alma goes on a one-verse tangent about a guy named Gazelem and his peepstone.[30]
- The Nephites test wine from the Lamanites on their prisoners. They do this because they’re not slow to remember the Lord their God, and the wine might be poisoned.[31]
+ How is this not murder? It’s wine. Why not just throw it away?
- Scripture describes women getting raped, tortured, and eaten.[32]
- Mormon forgets he’s abridging and Alma speaks in first person for a chapter.[33]

* The history of the gold plates feels like a scam.
- Joseph translated most the BOM looking into his seer stone with his face buried in a hat.[34]
+ Using stones for clairvoyance is not compatible with modern LDS doctrine.
+ His seer stone was not a Nephite interpreter. He found it earlier in life.
> He used to search for buried treasure with it, but was unsuccessful.
> He received a revelation through it to sell the Canadian copyright of the BOM, but it didn’t work.
- God didn’t let Joseph show the plates to almost anybody, including his scribes.
+ They were covered with a cloth or not even in the room while translating.
+ Why wouldn’t God want anybody to see the plates? A con man?
+ Why does the Church still publish artwork and videos of Joseph reading the plates like a book, without a stone, with the plates plain view of his scribe?
- When Joseph was done translating, an angel took the plates. But a few of his close friends and associates signed a testimony that they promise they saw them.
+ The plates aren’t on Earth anymore, so we have to just take their word for it.
- Joseph’s reasoning for not retranslating the lost 116 pages doesn’t track.
+ Could the evil men have changed the ink writing without it being obvious?
+ If so they still could have tried to discredit the translation of the small plates.[35]
+ It would make sense to do what he did if Joseph knew he couldn’t produce the same translation twice.
[1] View of the Hebrews was a book written in 1823 (the Book of Mormon was published in 1829) by a minister named Ethan Smith. It establishes an Israelite origin for the American Indians, it incorporates much of the prophecies of Isaiah (including whole chapters), the lost tribes divide into two classes (one civilized and the other savage), and there are many more similarities.
[2] Elder Roberts’s entire list of similarities can be found here: http://20truths.info/mormon/plagiarism.html.
[3] Second Isaiah, or Deutero-Isaiah, comprising chapters 40 to 55, was written by an anonymous author near the end of the Babylonian captivity (clearly after Lehi left Jerusalem). It is quoted by 1 Nephi 20, 1 Nephi 21, 2 Nephi 7, 2 Nephi 8, 3 Nephi 22, and Mosiah 14. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Isaiah#Composition.
[4] For example, 2 Nephi 19:1 reads (incorrectly) “... and afterwards did more grievously afflict by way of the Red Sea beyond Jordan in Galilee ...” KJV also says “afflict”. NIV reads “... but in the future he will honor Galilee …”.
[5] Moroni 7:45-46 vs. 1 Corinthians 13:2-8
[6] Ether 7:9
[7] 2 Nephi 5:14
[8] Mosiah 15:1-5, 1 Nephi 11:18 (the first edition says “the mother of God” instead of “the mother of the Son of God” http://bookofmormononline.net/#/fax/1830, page 25), 2 Nephi 31:21, Alma 11:44, Alma 18:26-28, and many more.
[9] Alma 34:34, 2 Nephi 9:38, Mosiah 2:36-39
[10] Moroni 8:14, Alma 20:17
[11] Lehi, Abinadi, Samuel the Lamanite, etc.
[12] Jacob 2:24, D&C 132:38
[13] 1 Nephi 13:14
[14] 2 Nephi 1:8-11
[15] Omni 1:14-16,21
[16] 1 Nephi 4:10-18
[17] Ether 3:15, Moses 7:4
[18] Ether 2:23
[19] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window#History
[20] 3 Nephi:2:15
[21] 2 Nephi 5:21-22
[22] Mosiah 18:12-14
[23] Mormon 2:1-2
[24] Ether 1:33
[25] Helaman 13:31,33,36
[26] Ether 14:1
[27] 2 Nephi 3:6-16,18-22
[28] 3 Nephi 12:26/Matt 5:26, 3 Nephi 13:24/Matt 6:24. Aramaic was a language spoken by commoners in the Holy Land.
[29] Alma 57:26
[30] Alma 37:23
[31] Alma 55:31
[32] Moroni 9:9-10
[33] Alma 9
[34] http://www.lds.org/ensign/1993/07/a-treasured-testament
[35] For example, they could have changed the names of people and places, or reordered and modified important event.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2013 10:31AM by jackjoseph.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: March 11, 2013 10:44AM

Wow that's an amazing resource! Thanks.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 04:05PM

My first thoughts too. I'm copying and pasting this into my "Mormonism" folder for future reference.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 08:30AM

This seems to follow a similar style. Thanks so much for sharing.

Reading the BoM after so many years, especially with this commentary, just makes it seem all so foolish.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 11:00AM

Jack,

Your statement above suggests that the BOM does not state that God has a body:

"- No mention that God has a body."

Maybe I'm remembering wrong (I'm old, so it could happen).... but doesn't the BOM have a passage in which one of the "prophets" sees the finger of God? Hence, God has a body?

But the list you provide is overwhelmingly correct. I'll be interested in what the bishop says in response.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2013 11:01AM by PapaKen.

Date: March 11, 2013 11:39AM

Yeah, the Brother of Jared does see the finger of the Lord. As a TBM I figured it must have been Jesus's "spirit finger".

Contrast that with Alma 18:26-28:

26. And then Ammon said: Believest thou that there is a Great Spirit?
27. And he said, Yea.
28. And Ammon said: This is God. And Ammon said unto him again: Believest thou that this Great Spirit, who is God, created all things which are in heaven and in the earth?

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 02:41PM

The finger of god is a reference to Moses and the original writing of the ten commandments. Look at the Sistine chapel. JS merely copied the Bible in this instance. The full corporeal body of God was not to be seen. Only in seeing Christ, did one see God.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 11:03AM

Add to the 200 year lived utopian society of 4 NE, that it was created on the ashes of massive large scale destruction of 13 or more cities in only three days time (3 NE 8-10). Such varied devastation (burning, drowning, burying etc) in so few days would be huge archeological sore thumbs. And for a major civilization to arise out of such destruction would be an even bigger sore thumb.

You would literally keep tripping over such evidence, it were true.

Date: March 11, 2013 11:40AM

Thanks. I'll add that. It's a very good point.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 02:45PM

You have a great list.

See these resources as well:

http://packham.n4m.org/linguist.htm

http://mormonthink.com/book-of-mormon-problems.htm

Along with the destruction of the cities, there is the land itself changing.

3 NE 17 And thus the face of the whole earth became deformed, because of the tempests, and the thunderings, and the lightnings, and the quaking of the earth.

18 And behold, the rocks were rent in twain; they were broken up upon the face of the whole earth, insomuch that they were found in broken fragments, and in seams and in cracks, upon all the face of the land.

Geologists would recognize these changes and if they were instrumental in damaging cities, it would be fairly obvious to any but FAIR.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2013 02:48PM by Jesus Smith.

Posted by: evanderbild ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 11:26AM

Two more points I don't think you covered:

The first edition of the BoM lists JS as the "author and proprietor" (see http://www.inephi.com/1.htm)

Textual changes in the BoM contradict the way it was "translated"; The text could not be further translated if the scribe had written down the wrong word. If this is true, then why all of the grammatical changes, insertions of "Son of", name changes (eg changing "King Benjamin" to "King Mosiah"), and other misc changes in the BoM? (see the list of quotes on MT about the translation of the BoM)

Posted by: behindcurtain ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 12:33AM

I read that Joseph Smith was listed as the author and proprietor because the book had to have an "author" in order to be published.

Posted by: heretic ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 12:23PM

jackjoseph,
thank you for the time and effort you've put into compiling the above list. I'll be using parts of it, as the occassion arises, with TBMs. I'll look forward to your future list with the additions, etc.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 12:42PM

This one is for my archives. Great compilation here. Outstanding work. Mind you, it won't change anyone's mind that isn't open minded enough to realize and accept the truth, but it provides an excellent unambiguous case against the BOM. To anyone not deeply rooted in belief of the BOM, it makes it as obvious and plain as day, that the BOM is a work of fiction.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 01:53PM

Ha! I was really excited to see your list until I saw that I was your primary source!

Even still, your list has lots of good stuff I don't have written down anywhere so thanks for expanding and improving - I'm stealing this.

Note:
I'm slowly working on "1001 problems with the Book of Mormon" - that one is going to take me a while though...

Posted by: rd4jesus ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 02:37PM

I asked my TBM teen daughter what happened to all the swords from the battles. I told her not one has been found. Her reply, "Maybe the Lord took them all up to heaven." Yeah, I guess he needs them for all the spiritual warfare going on up there. Right?

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 02:54PM

And, he replaced them with dinosaur bones to trick us bwaa ha ha ha ha!

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 09:56AM

"If the Lord is working so hard hiding evidence of the truth of
the Book of Mormon and trying to make it look like the book is a
fake, who am I to go against God and believe it?"

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 10:06AM

One thing that struck me was physically looking at the size of a city that's necessary to hold the number of people supposedly killed at Cumorah. THAT is a lot of dead bodies, and no one left to bury them, if it were even possible without heavy equipment. That was a huge problem facing the Nazis, what to do with the bodies.

You should watch the miniseries on Netflx called Auschwitz. It goes into detail about the means they had to take to dispose of te bodies, and they had an army to deal with it, and tons of Jewish slaves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2013 10:06AM by twojedis.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 02:43PM

The above list is far from complete. Anyone who was fully literate in 1830 would have recognized numerous additional literary usage from other texts such as Pilgrim's Progress and stories from the Bible and the Apocrypha.

Date: March 11, 2013 02:55PM

rhgc, do you have any sources or examples? I'd love to include them in the list.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 04:07PM

+

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 05:54PM

It's also interesting that the BofM is written by a Mosaic law-abiding, jewish family. One would be hard pressed to find anything in the BofM that intimates a Mosaic law-abiding, jewish family from Jerusalem. Prayers, Sabbath rules, Jewish rites, rituals, ceremonies or holidays are never mentioned which would surely be in an historical or religious document intended for the "remnant of Israel". Judaism is rich with such observances and the Old Testament mentions them in detail all over its pages.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 06:49PM

"New DNA evidence and inconsistencies between Mayan and Aztec civilizations vs. Book of Mormon ones has forced the Church to take a stance that:
- The Book of Mormon people were the minority."

Can you please provide a reference for this? This is contradicted by everything I have ever read in the scriptures and church publications. I have heard stuff like this from internet apologists, but I have never heard anything official denying the historicity of the book of mormon, D&C and the Bible. It is mormon doctrine that the Noachian flood was real. That the Jaredites repopulated the Americas and that they died out shortly after the arrival of the Lehites and a few others around 600bc.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 06:55PM

The biggest one is the change to the introduction to the Book of Mormon.

"...they are the principal ancestors of the American Indians."

"...they are among the ancestors of the American Indians."

This change was quietly made to all of the digital versions of the Book of Mormon around 2007 - about the same time they change "white and delightsome" to "pure and delightsome"

Posted by: Lasvegasrichard ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 02:42AM

You forgot the name Lucifer in the B of M . Of 11 complete copies of Isaiah in the Dead Sea Scrolls , not 1 uses that name . It came from the 4th century and Jerome and the KJV translators copied something not extant to the B o M .

Date: March 14, 2013 06:44PM

Thanks to everybody for your feedback. I've put it all together and made the list even better. Sorry to re-post, it won't let me edit my original ...

* The BOM borrows heavily from literature that didn’t exist at the purported time of writing.
- There are compelling parallels with View of the Hebrews[1] throughout the entire book.
+ Elder B. H. Roberts concluded it hardly leaves a case for mere coincidence.[2]
- Nephi quotes chapters from Isaiah that weren’t written until after Lehi left Jerusalem.[3]
- The BOM incorporates several errors made by the King James translators in the 1600’s.[4]
+ And 3 Nephi 14:1 doesn’t incorporate the JST from Matthew 7:1.
- Joseph Smith’s father had a dream that was nearly identical to Lehi’s tree of life vision.
- There are unlikely similarities with Pilgrim’s Progress and other John Bunyan books. [5]
- Moroni plagiarizes Paul’s discourse on charity.[6]

* There is little to no Archaeological evidence that supports the Book of Mormon.
- Where are the remains from the wealthy, utopian, city building, industrious, Christ worshipping, gold and silver mining, society described in 4th Nephi?
+ The society was built on the ashes of cataclysmic destruction.
+ They multiplied and spread upon all the face of the land.
+ The society lasted longer than the USA has been a country.
- Archaeologists haven’t found one pre-colombian metal sword.
+ The Nephites knew how to work with metal. The plates were made of metal.
+ They said their swords were metal.[7] And their swords could chop off arms.
+ They modeled their swords after the sword of Laban.[8]
+ Joseph Smith saw the sword of Laban. It looked like a sword.
+ Where are all the swords from the relentless warfare?
- Where is the evidence that they had so many elements of Old World culture (wheat, barley, figs, grapes, flax, horses, sheep, cattle, elephants, bees, silk, shipbuilding, chariots, coins)?
- Why doesn’t it mention chocolate, corn, lima beans, squash, potatoes, or tomatoes?
- The Smithsonian Institution released a statement that there is no archeological evidence to support the Book of Mormon, and that the archeology indicates the people never existed.[9]
- To satisfy the population statistics, they would have had to maintain an unrealistic growth rate for their time (unless they assimilated into another population).[10]
- Why doesn’t the Church excavate the hill Cumorah to find out if the cave full of Book of Mormon artifacts is actually there?[11]

* The Book of Mormon is silent on, or even contradicts many unique LDS doctrines.
- No mention of baptisms for the dead, initiatories, garments, endowments, or sealings.
+ But the introduction says it contains the “fulness of the everlasting gospel”.[12]
- No mention of the preexistence, God as our spirit father, kingdoms of glory, or exaltation.
- No mention of baby blessings, priesthood blessings, or patriarchal blessings.
- The Holy Ghost was received automatically after baptism, not by the laying on of hands.
- No differentiation between Aaronic and Melchizedek priesthoods.
- No mention of most LDS church structure.
- They denounced David and Solomon’s polygamy, but the D&C approves of it.[13]
- Jesus’s church didn’t have a first presidency; just twelve apostles.
* Instead, it reads like popular Christian sentiment from 19th century America.
- Several passages are compatible with or even advocate the Trinity doctrine.[14]
+ The first edition feels even more Trinitarian.[15]
+ The Luke 10:22 JST suggests Joseph Smith originally espoused the Trinity. (The first vision with God and Christ as separate personages wasn’t taught until 1842.[16])
- No passages directly state that God had a body or that God and Christ were separate beings with more clarity than the Bible.
- There were two possible fates after death: Eternal Life or Hell.
- Mortal life was their only chance to work out their salvation.[17]
+ Even one wrong thought right before death could condemn them.[18]
- Men were called of God directly, not through existing priesthood authority.[19]
* But the Book of Mormon people self-identified as Mosaic law-abiding Jews.
- Minimal to no emphasis on Jewish rites, rituals, prayers, ceremonies, and holidays.
- Even before Christ, they were far more similar to Christians than Jews.

* New DNA evidence and inconsistencies between Mayan and Aztec civilizations vs. Book of Mormon ones has forced Church apologists to take a stance that:
- The Book of Mormon people were the minority.
* Why does the text not support this? Why didn’t the Church know this all along?
- The introduction used to say the Lamanites were the “principal ancestors” of the Indians.
- Nephi identifies the Indians conquered by early American settlers as Lamanites.[20]
- Lehi makes it clear that the promised land is set aside for them alone.[21]
- The Mulekites and Coriantumr are both mentioned at the end of the small plates, in spite of space limitations.[22] There is no reference to any other groups of people.
- Joseph Smith and Brigham Young were prophets and they clearly stated on many occasions that the Indians in North and South America were of Lamanite origin.
- Spencer W. Kimball said the students in the Indian placement program were Lamanites.
- I was taught my entire life that Indians were Lamanites.

* There are several passages that I find troubling.
- Moroni’s promise doesn’t work in my experience.
- Nephi kills Laban because he feels compelled to.[23]
+ A feeling is not sufficient to justify killing, even if the victim is a bad person.
+ Killing so a nation won’t “dwindle and perish in unbelief” is terrorism.
- The Lord says he’s never before shown himself unto man, but he’s already revealed himself to Enoch.[24]
- The Lord says the barges can’t have windows or they’ll be dashed to pieces.[25]
+ But the Romans were the first known civilization to have glass windows.[26]
- When the Lamanites unite with the Nephites their skin turns white.[27]
+ Their dark skin is described with racist words like sore cursing, not enticing, iniquity, loathsome, idle, mischief, scourge, etc.[28]
- The Jaredite barges and voyage are not plausible.
- The Jaredite final battle is not realistic.
- The acquisition of the brass plates is not sensible.
- Alma baptizes himself.[29]
- The Nephites appoint 15-year-old Mormon to lead their armies because he’s really big.[30]
- The Tower of Babel is the setting for real history.[31]
+ Accepting the BOM requires literal belief in the Tower of Babel story.
- God threatens to make treasures too slippery to pick up.[32]
- Swords and tools disappear when left unattended overnight.[33]
- Joseph in Egypt prophesies of the BOM. He even predicts Joseph Smith’s name.[34]
+ Why are these prophecies only found in the BOM and JST?
- Even though he changed farthing to senine, Jesus speaks the Aramaic word mammon.[35]
- God preserves all the stripling warriors because they have lots of faith.[36]
- The accounts of Sherem and Korihor read like morality plays.
- The story of Ammon reads like a melodrama.
- The Nephites test wine that is likely poisoned on their prisoners.[37]
+ How is that not murder? It’s wine. Why not just throw it away?
+ They do it in the context of not being slow to remember the Lord their God.
- Alma speaks in first person for a chapter.[38]
- Scripture describes women getting raped, tortured, and eaten.[39]

* The history of the gold plates has the earmarks of a scam.
- Joseph translated most the BOM looking into his seer stone with his face buried in a hat.[40]
+ Using stones for clairvoyance is not compatible with modern LDS doctrine.
+ His seer stone was not a Nephite interpreter. He found it earlier in life.
> He used to search for buried treasure with it, but never found any.
> He received a revelation through it to sell the Canadian copyright of the BOM, but it didn’t work.
- God didn’t let Joseph show the plates to almost anybody, including his scribes.
+ They were covered with a cloth or not even in the room while translating.
+ Why wouldn’t God want anybody to see the plates? A con man?
+ Why does the Church still publish artwork and videos of Joseph reading the plates like a book, without a stone, with the plates plain view of his scribe?
- When Joseph was done translating, an angel took the plates. But a few of his close friends and associates signed a testimony that they promise they saw them.
+ The plates aren’t on Earth anymore, so we have to just take their word for it.
- Joseph’s reasoning for not retranslating the lost 116 pages doesn’t track.
+ Could the evil men have changed the ink writing without it being obvious?
+ If so they still could have tried to discredit the translation of the small plates.[41]
+ It would make sense to do what he did if Joseph knew he couldn’t produce the same translation twice.
- Textual corrections to the Book of Mormon contradict the way it was translated.
+ Joseph couldn’t continue if the scribe had written down the wrong word.
+ But the Church later inserted changes that made it feel less Trinitarian.[42]
+ And King Benjamin used to have a role after he died.[43]
+ And many, many more.
[1] View of the Hebrews was a book written in 1823 (the Book of Mormon was published in 1829) by a minister named Ethan Smith. It establishes an Israelite origin for the American Indians, it incorporates much of the prophecies of Isaiah (including whole chapters), the lost tribes divide into two classes (one civilized and the other savage), and there are many more similarities.
[2] Elder Roberts’s entire list of parallels can be found here: http://20truths.info/mormon/plagiarism.html.
[3] Second Isaiah, or Deutero-Isaiah, comprising chapters 40 to 55, was written by an anonymous author near the end of the Babylonian captivity (clearly after Lehi left Jerusalem). It is quoted by 1 Nephi 20, 1 Nephi 21, 2 Nephi 7, 2 Nephi 8, 3 Nephi 22, and Mosiah 14. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Isaiah#Composition.
[4] For example 2 Nephi 16:2 (first edition only, http://www.inephi.com/91.htm) copies seraphims instead of seraphim from Isaiah 6:2. 2. Nephi 19:1 copies afflict from the KJV “... and afterwards did more grievously afflict by way of the Red Sea beyond Jordan in Galilee ...” NIV reads correctly: “... but in the future he will honor Galilee …”.
[5] “The parallel narratives are ubiquitous and systemic, appearing with sustained consistency throughout the entire narrative of the Book of Mormon. Indeed, reading the Book of Mormon is tantamount to reading John Bunyan’s many works condensed into a single volume.” -- The Los Angeles Review of Books, http://lareviewofbooks.org/article.php?id=1135&fulltext=1
[6] Moroni 7:45-46 vs. 1 Corinthians 13:2-8
[7] Ether 7:9
[8] 2 Nephi 5:14
[9] http://mit.irr.org/smithsonian-institution-statement-on-book-of-mormon
[10] http://20truths.info/mormon/bompop.html
[11] http://maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/publications/jbms/?vol=13&num=1&id=338
[12] lds.org very clearly differentiates between the gospel, and the gospel in its fullness. The gospel in its fullness is “all the doctrines, principles, laws, ordinances, and covenants necessary for us to be exalted in the celestial kingdom” http://www.lds.org/topics/gospel?lang=eng.
[13] Jacob 2:24, D&C 132:38
[14] Mosiah 15:1-5, 2 Nephi 31:21, Alma 11:44, Alma 18:26-28, and many more.
[15] Compare 1 Nephi 11:18, 21, 32 13:40 with http://www.inephi.com/25.htm, http://www.inephi.com/27.htm, and http://www.inephi.com/33.htm.
[16] http://mormonthink.com/firstvisionweb.htm
[17] Alma 34:34, 2 Nephi 9:38, Mosiah 2:36-39
[18] Moroni 8:14, Alma 20:17
[19] Lehi, Abinadi, Samuel the Lamanite, etc.
[20] 1 Nephi 13:14
[21] 2 Nephi 1:8-11
[22] Omni 1:14-16,21
[23] 1 Nephi 4:10-18
[24] Ether 3:15, Moses 7:4
[25] Ether 2:23
[26] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window#History
[27] 3 Nephi:2:15. Every convert I’ve ever seen kept the same skin color.
[28] 2 Nephi 5:21-22
[29] Mosiah 18:12-14
[30] Mormon 2:1-2
[31] Ether 1:33
[32] Helaman 13:31,33,36
[33] Ether 14:1
[34] 2 Nephi 3:6-16,18-22
[35] 3 Nephi 12:26/Matt 5:26, 3 Nephi 13:24/Matt 6:24. Aramaic was a language spoken by commoners in the Holy Land.
[36] Alma 57:26
[37] Alma 55:31
[38] Alma 9
[39] Moroni 9:9-10
[40] http://www.lds.org/ensign/1993/07/a-treasured-testament
[41] For example, they could have changed the names of people and places, or reordered and modified important events.
[42] Compare 1 Nephi 11:18, 21, 32 13:40 with http://www.inephi.com/25.htm, http://www.inephi.com/27.htm, and http://www.inephi.com/33.htm.
[43]Compare Mosiah 21:28 with http://www.inephi.com/201.htm. Also see Mosiah 6:3-7, 7:1.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 07:30AM

- There's no proof God exists, therefore any religion based on him has no foundation

- There are no proofs that what anyone believes to be proofs of the existence of God are actually proofs, because they are not verifiable

- If the LDS version of God were to actually exist, he's an @sshole unworthy of veneration

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.