Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 03:21PM

OK, for us neverMos, please explain. :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 03:39PM

lostinutah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OK, for us neverMos, please explain. :)

OK. Here goes.
The Three Nephites are part of the BOM feathered in the Book of Nephi that are supposed to have never tasted death -- and roam the earth doing good deeds, or something like that.

Some info and stories here. They are the basis of many "true stories" that Mormons claim are authentic.

http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/nephites.html

Date: January 15, 2011 03:45PM

Oh gotoheck!! I met those dudes once and had no idea! They were stuck out in the desert, their Jeep had broken down. I gave them a ride and they left me a bottle of Captain Moroni. They were totally cool.

Date: January 15, 2011 03:56PM

Correction: Captain Morgan

Posted by: mateo ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 04:10PM

I wouldn't mind having a bottle of Cap'n Moroni in my cabinet. The very foundations of hell shake every time I have a drink!

Date: January 15, 2011 04:17PM

I was flying with a TBM oldtimer in his Piper Cub. He was about 100th generation Mormon. We were flying in SE Utah, over the San Rafael area, where there's a place called the Moroni Slopes. I pointed to it and said, "Hey, there's the Moroni Slopes," but I mispronounced it (mor-oh-nie, to rhyme with macaroni). I didn't do this intentionally, I had never heard it pronounced.

He had been a great guy until then, but all of a sudden he got cold and corrected me, "Mor-oh-nai." After that he was a bit cool towards me. I guess he thought I was a Mo until then. So now I always just say Macaroni so people know I'm a screw up, no need to wonder about it and misjudge me.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 03:58PM

last I heard, they admitted to being gay and the cult exed 'em.

Timothy

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 02:41PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 02:45PM

Posted by: edmarc ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 03:56PM

Isn't of them that guy that kidnapped Elizabeth Smart?

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 04:23PM

You are right SusieQ#1. I haven't heard them mentioned in years. It used to be I would hear stories about them constantly. They sure got around. Especially if you were having car problems/and or falling asleep at the wheel.

Maybe the church realized,finally,how silly the whole thing was.

Date: January 15, 2011 04:29PM

http://www.holyfetch.com/

The name of the web site is a hoot! :-)

I think many LDS folks know these urban legends and myths are just that. But some, are very gullible and believe some of the weirdest stuff.
It fits right in with seeing Jesus on a cheese sandwich! :-)

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 05:35PM

It's very rare to see the Three Nephites in one place at one time, since they have busy lives fighting crime and finding car keys. But there they were, all three of them. I ain't lying! I got pictures. And oddly enough, all three of them had hotel rooms right in SLC. How often do you see that?

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 05:50PM

Urban myths and religious folklore in particular comes in waves and the mythology has to be updated, to keep a competitive edge on the folk mythology of other religions.

We've got an early lead hear with the Catholics and the recent Vatican confirmation of an appearance of Our Lady in Wisconsin. This was an unexpected trump to the appearance in Egypt, and they took it up a notch, getting the Pope to sign on for a small percentage before the rollout.

We all know there will never be a confirmation of a vision other than the First Vision because they couldn't even get one guy to agree on how many people appeared and who they said they were. So they are flatlining there, and with no female diety for a fallback position, what've they got? The Three Nephites.

Now the Mormon-on-the-street has to deal with the increasing angel action on the Evangelical front as well as the Mary move right here in America. Mormons used to play the Three Nephite card against the angel action until internet ridicule booted the boys down to Farms.

Those in the know have spotted a surge in the ancestor dimensional visit by way of "The Celestial Kingdom is Right Here on Earth"-- just in another dimension. The appearance of ancestors in the temple has spread to Grandpa out in the garden, Grandma doing her canning only she's transparent. The potential triumph of the urban myth of ancestor visitation over the Three Nephites as far as plausibility with the general public is undeniable.

Tune in for an update in the future....but remember, Grandma loves you more than some dirty old white Nephite (and I mean old).

Anagrammy

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 07:37PM

I heard they all died.

Date: January 15, 2011 07:38PM

Date: January 15, 2011 09:35PM

http://www.holyfetch.com/legends/3nephites_killer.html

Three Nephites protect missionaries from a serial killer

Hard to prove

There are hundreds of Mormon folklore stories that involve the Three Nephites. Most stories include old white bearded men helping strangers. The bearded men just suddenly dissappear and are never seen again. My favorite Nephite story also involves a serial killer.

This story usually has sister missionaries knocking on the door of a serial killer not realizing the danger they are in. They speak to the man for a few minutes, trying to convince him to let them in to speak more about the Book of Mormon. He is very short with them and turns them away.

A few days later the authorities capture the serial killer (it is often a well-known killer like Jeffery Dahmer). Somehow the police know that he had the chance to kill the sister missionaries and asks why the serial killer did not allow them into his house. The serial killer says, "I was scared of the three huge Indian warriors that were standing behind them."

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 09:56PM

they'll be back at work in the year 3511.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2011 02:04PM by matt.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 10:25AM

I think I saw them in the homeless libery park in SLC, they were wating for condos to be finished in the City creek white elephant.

Date: January 16, 2011 02:23PM

They ran into the Wandering Jew and got converted. He has an easier time, doesn't have to answer to Jesus.

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 03:01PM

I heard they were given a copy of the Book of Mormon, read it, realised it didn't tally with reality and are all now Jewish...

Date: January 16, 2011 03:04PM

at a lot of it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.