Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Formermormon ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 03:21PM

When I was a kid in California the Explorers had what they called "super activities" once a year. They would go mountain climbing, white water rafting or perhaps take a trip to Washington D.C. Pretty cool for a kid. The problem is we had to earn our own money. My brother and myself and another kid seemed to be the only ones interested in earning money. We roofed houses, tore down burned buildings, worked at fireworks stands, you name it. As the year wore on my brother and I discovered that my parents were moving, so we went to the young men's president and also a bishop's counselor and wanted to know if we could recoup some of the hard earned money that we had spent all summer obtaining. Needless to say we got zilch. We were told that the money had to stay in the ward. We even had time slips and job names that showed where we had worked and for how long. Someone else got a nice trip on our nickle. Just one of many things that led to a terrible taste in my mouth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 10:49PM

They used to reimburse members all the time. They lied about the money staying in the ward. That's nonsense.
Things like that turn kids off in a hurry.
I have a relative that presented several ideas for an Eagle project, every single one was denied.
That was the end of Scouts for them. And the church. Enough was enough.

Posted by: Primary Survivor ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 06:25PM

2 BSA troops in my town, and when my brother was of age, the LDS troop was much much much more active - the other troop didn't do anything. When my brother left Scouts after his Morg troop kept turning down his Eagle proposals, he got to cash out his account and keep what he'd earned. I think the troop was afraid that my dad would go after them if bro didn't get his money back!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 09:36AM

Tsk, tsk. You didn't leave because you were offended over money, did you? That's Satan playing with your heart and mind. Pray about it. Read your scriptures, and attend your meetings. Repent for these thoughts. Oh, and don't forget to pay. (There's a hymn about that, right? "Ere you left your room this morning, did you think to pay?")

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.