Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: openeyes ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 02:33AM

One was in the Teachers Quorum when a member of the bishopric came in with empty fast offering envelopes, sending us out on the "Lords errand." it sucked and I hated it so bad! I bet half the people dreaded us showing up as well. Once I stole a couple of dollars from the envelope. If the bishop found out I wonder what my punishment would be. I'd rather collect for the red cross on my terms.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 07:31AM

I hate it when the kids knock on fast Sunday. I usually don't answer and yell at the kids to not go to the door. It is usually during lunch time, or some really inconvenient time. Wen I do answer, I tell them I gave at the office. They usually look puzzled when I say that.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 10:56AM

For Christ sake...it's YOUR house. If you don't want the junior version of the MiB at your door...TELL THEM to go away....

Posted by: confusedkim ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 10:27AM

I hated when I was around 13-14, all the older married men would say things like "you're becoming such a young woman." Ugh those words made me shutter like they were watching and waiting until I turned 18 so their son RM could come sweep me away. Still makes me gag.

Another thing is the worthiness interviews. Seems like they always revolved around sex and staying clean. It always made me uncomfortable even though I never did anything bad... until I got older lol.

I also hated when the young womens president would volunteer us for babysitting jobs.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 08:11PM

People in positions of power should never volunteer others for obligations, unfortunatly it happens alot

My parents do it all the time!

Posted by: rd4jesus ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 10:37AM

I hated how almost every day of the week was something church related. If I didn't show up for an activity, it was automatically assumed that my testimony was in question. I hated when I went to EFY that someone made the comment, "If you don't bear your testimony, then you don't love the Bishop." My sister, brother, and I did not get up to bear our testimonies because we felt like that was the most manipulative thing anyone had ever said. I was proud of my TBM sister and brother that day!

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 10:38AM

I hated the fast offerings also yet I would usually take two routes. I could get those done quick because they were basically on my way home and no backtracking.

What I hated most was forced free labor, namely going out to the stake farm to weed. We had a member of the bishopric show up with a signup sheet and you had to put down whether you would go or not. At the end he would read the list of who said no in order to shame us. Turned out everyone said no and was he ever mad. I guess he just couldn't understand that we were teenagers and wanted a better social life with people and not a weed.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 10:49AM

My favorite Sunday was Fast Sunday when I could leave the ward house and go for a walk to collect fast offerings. I always chose the route that was the most distant from the ward house so I would be away for the longest possible time. By walking an extra 3/4 mile I could go to a Spudnut (doughnut) shop and buy two fresh spudnuts. That was a real treat and it extended my time away from the ward house. Right now, 57 years later, I can still remember what the houses that I visited look like. Great memories.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 10:59AM

::::::::::::::drooling::::::::::::::::::::

Posted by: Hugh Janus ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 10:49AM

I hated Sunday's, having to put that monkey suit on all fetching day long (pardon my language).

I hated early morning seminary at 5:10am, and then feeling like you were a heathen if you did not attend.

I hated feeling like I needed to confess to my Bishop that I had masturbated.

I hated that I had opp's for nailing a lot of hot babes, but didn't because I was a morgbot getting ready for a cult mission.

I hated the boredom most of all, i.e. Sac Meeting, General Penishood meeting, endless hours of nothingless meaningless useless MEETINGS.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 11:00AM

I think they're setting them up to start getting used to intruding on strangers once they're on missions.

They also know that people in their homes might feel sorry for the poor teens and give them a few extra bucks.

Posted by: itsneverover ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 11:06AM

What I hated most was my teenage "calling" I received when I was 12 and kept until I left at 17. Ward organist. This calling insured that I would be there and on time every week. :-(

Every time I hear a hymn played I shudder. I was struggling at the time with generalized anxiety disorder, and I would always feel sick before I had to start playing, afraid I would mess up and embarass myself. I did a few times, and my fears were confirmed when my sunday school friends pointed out how funny it was when I hit the wrong keys and struggled to get back on track.

I wouldn't go back and re-live a single one of those days for a million bucks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2013 11:06AM by itsneverover.

Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 11:09AM

Ditto on the masturbation confession ritual.

I hated being attracted to my straight male friends and feeling not only that they wouldn't be interested (maybe a few of them would have been "up" for it), but that it was oh-so-evil.

I hated being made to feel guilty for being out in the parking lot during Sunday School on a nice day with my friends instead of inside.

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 11:26AM

I hated when as a YW I would bring a cake I had baked to celebrate one of the girls b-day and people would say, "Mium, such a good cake, now you're ready to be married." (Even as a joke it sucked)

I hated when we did, again as YW, the sending of the balloons in the sky with our testimony message attached to them (back in the mid-end 80's).
I did not like the idea that my words could be found by anybody who would eventually stumble upon it. (Even if the address put for more info was the church building's address).

I hated (when young and older) to sign the hymns that were so slow they dragged you down.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 11:33AM

I hated the almost constant obsession with morals and sex, the embarassing talks, and the intrusive interviews.

I hated that my Dad was in the stake presidency and was never home. I hated that between work and church he never had a minute of his own. I hated that he was so stressed out by all his responsibilities that he was ALWAYS in a cranky mood at home.

I hated all of the mind-numbing boring meetings, and how they kept dumbing everything down until everything was less intellectually stimulating than Romper Room.

I've known my whole life that I'm gay, and I hated spending all those years as a mormon believing that I'm worthless, weak, and evil.

Posted by: i'mtheQ ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 11:55AM

Seminary.

Personal progress goals. So much work for a tacky necklace.

Having to recite that stupid Young Womens motto. Decades later I still remember it "We are daughters of our HF who loves us, and we love him blah blah blah...."

Wearing dresses on Sundays.

Church activities were so time-consuming. I was already a busy teenager involved in sports, music, and academic programs. Add to that church crap like seminary, weekly youth activities, firesides, church itself, etc. I was over-scheduled, exhausted, and pretty stressed out.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 12:02PM

We hated collecting fast offerings too. If the envelopes weren't sealed we'd look inside to see how much a person gave. I'll never forget the time I opened one and saw.... monopoly money.

Best sunday ever :)

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 12:23PM

Early morning seminary wins hands down. I had to get up at 5:00 a.m. every morning and be at the church by 6:30. If it had been for something beneficial, like jazz band or swim team or even cleaning a bank before school to earn college money, I wouldn't have minded the early hour so much. But I literally got NOTHING from seminary. On my mission I realized I didn't learn anything so this isn't a post-Mormon observation about the uselessness of Mormon doctrine. I didn't even learn anything important that came in handy serving a mission. Complete waste of time and I was always tired in high school, to the point my mom took me to a doctor, who said school, after school activities, church activities and seminary would make anyone tired.

Posted by: cecil0812 ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 12:46PM

Oh man, I hated collecting Fast Offerings so. Damn. Much. Worst thing ever.

I have a pretty vivid memory of doing it in the middle of the winter. We had that late church time (like 3 - 6 PM or something) so getting out of church with the envelope, I had to go off in the freezing cold night to solicit people for money.

I will never forget how bad that was. So glad I never served a mission.

Posted by: sanitationengineer ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 12:47PM

Priceless!

Posted by: sanitationengineer ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 12:48PM

Sorry reply was supposed to be to Kolobian.

Posted by: WakingUpVegas ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 01:11PM

I hated how the Modesty Police, aka, YW leaders were always on me about my clothes. They were always chasing me down to pin up slits in my skirts, or giving me t-shirts to cover up tops that were too tight or showed too much skin.

I hated how the LDS kids at my school and ward automatically assumed I was a sinner because I would hang out with a variety of non-members, including *gasp* gay kids.

I hated how I had church on Sundays, seminary 5 days a week, Mutual once a week. It was church overload, and I had enough going on as it was. On top of that, they would take my only free day, Saturday, a lot for meetings, volleyball, or projects.

I hated this idea that teachers and leaders planted in our heads, that we shouldn't do homework on Sunday because it was breaking the Sabbeth. I tried that for a little while and just got so stressed about having to fit it all in Saturday or early Monday. I finally decided reading a text book could be like reading a good book, so that stopped.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 01:19PM

Thanks for this thread. My TBM ex-wife drags our 11yo daughter to church.

I hope (in a way) that our daughter hates/will hate it too. She already knows my stance on worthiness interviews, plus the fact I do not attend = dad no likee mo-mo BS.

But this thread helps me realize I may only have to sit back and wait for DD to become an ex-mo too one day.

Posted by: openeyes ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 01:41PM

Exmormons in embryo

Posted by: Just a guy ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 01:59PM

I hated not having my Dad around. He was called to be branch president and therefore had to spend Sundays and some weekdays in endless meetings. Thanks morg.

On the bright side, I have not once attended a church meeting since the birth of our first child!

Posted by: haylee22 ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 06:05PM

I think the thing I hate the most is it is so time-consuming. I'm only fifteen, claimed atheist, but I won't tell my parents until I am 18, or my life will be hell. I'm just doing what I can to get by so they don't think my testimony is in 'question.' I hate the church activities, I hate church itself, I hate the weekly youth activities, I hate Personal Progress, I hate wearing a dress to church. It's awesome, especially when I want other things to be my priorities, and not the church being shoved down my throat.

Posted by: TheIrrationalShark ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 08:42PM

I was in the same situation a few years ago, when I was fifteen. It's really nice to get that off of your chest, trust me. Though I don't know how strict or TBM your parents are.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 09:04PM

I guess the thing I hated most as a Mormon teenager was church dances. It was hell for me (I'm a totally straight male, BTW). I had no idea how to converse with anybody, male or female. I danced a lot but that was all I could come up with to do there. Other people seemed sopmehow to come away from dances with some sort of relationship, but I never could figure it out. The problem is this: isn't the church supposed to exist to help the outcasts, the forgotten ones, the ones who don't quite fit in? Yeah, right.

Posted by: glibberish ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 01:48AM

I hated "standards nights" so much. Nothing like having the idea constantly reiterated to you that everything you're thinking and feeling is disgusting to God and needs to be suppressed.

It was so time consuming, too. There was boy scouts/YM, early morning seminary, cleaning the church, regular meetings and fast offering collecting, being voluntold to go out tracting with the missionaries on weeknights, EFY, youth conferences, firesides, worthiness interviews, ward and stake temple days ... I didn't even live in Utah, but I would often go weeks without having a single day off from church-related stuff.

At least it looked good on my college applications. They don't realize that while that much time devoted to church stuff would show extraordinary commitment on the part of most non-LDS Christian teenagers, it's par for the course for those of us who were BIC

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 02:09AM

A slobbering bald and sweaty man in a stained suit asking me about my cock when I was thirteen. With a door locked behind me, and my ratfink father standing guard on the outside in his goddam moc toe fuggin oxfords that son of a bitch!

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 02:55AM

I hated Sundays - not being able to hang out with friends, talk on the phone, wear shorts, listen to the radio or watch TV.

I hated being forced to wear a one piece swimming suit.

I hated not being able to watch r rated movies, Three's Company or Charlie's Angels.

I hated being told I couldn't date non-Mormon guys.

I hated feeling guilty every second of every day.

Posted by: theskippyrabbit ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 03:47AM

wow, I was allowed to do all of those things!

My mum would come bikini shopping with me and even bought me my first g-strings, always buying me mini skirts, shorts, boob tubes and other morally questioned attire lol

Could watch what I wanted, date any guy as long as he treated me good and came to meet my parents first.

I guess my parents were more relaxed on the rules?

Posted by: theskippyrabbit ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 03:52AM

I hated feeling like an outcast and being treated like I was diseased or something because I didn't think/act like the other mormon girls.

I hated early morning seminary with a passion! especially in winter.

I hated going to church and people just staring at me because "I was the bad influence" and people thought I would probably make their children sway from the church.

I remember we moved to a new area and the ward was having a beach day and my mum decided it would be good to meet the teenagers in my ward before I started school.
I turned up in a bikini and got told I had to cover up. Who the f goes to the beach to cover up!! One of the girls gave me some spare shorts and singlet to wear....

Posted by: psychobabble ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 05:41AM

I hated the priesthood session of general conference. Those 2 hours went by soooo slowly. Especially if it was april and we were missing the college basketball final four!!

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 06:05AM

It's just a way for the church to exhort a few more dollars out of the members. The vast majority of members pay fast offerings the same time they do tithing. Since fast offering collection by the Teachers is not a regular thing, no one sets their money aside for when they come around, so you end up getting a bunch of people who already paid, giving up a few more bucks, to help the kids feel like they are doing something important. Meanwhile, the church makes out like bandits.

Posted by: jl ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 09:57AM

I hated and dreaded testimony meetings.

Some people's testimonies or stories were so dreadfully boring and.......stupid that I wanted to leave the chapel but couldn't...because I was expected to "feel" the Spirit no matter what.

One of the worst was something like "I couldn't find my keys but had to leave the house right away...so I said a prayer in my heart and Heavenly Father helped me find the keys! I know the Church is true, and Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ live."

As a teenager, I just couldn't help but inquisitively and rationally question, "How does finding keys have anything to do with God?"

But testimony meetings were always, always full of crap like that!!! Ughhhhhhh.....

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 10:21AM

They wanted me to play piano in priesthood but I didn't want to. Bishop and mom guilted me into it, so I played "There is a green hill far away" every sunday, just the right hand, just one verse.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.