Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mormon-0|Science-1 ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 03:14AM

My wife's grandfather is a "Patriarch" and truly believes that everything he says is the word of God.

Now that I'm no longer a TBM, Christian, or anything religious I've had the chance to take a step back. Things seem not so special and a little creepy now. Anything priesthood really.

I'm curious to know from other ex-priesthood participants... how do you feel about the blessings you gave?

For those who received patriarchal blessings, has much really happened from those "wise" words?

Any ex-patriarchs?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: alig ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 03:29AM

Nothing I was told I would go serve a mission and get married to a RM. Right, I left before I got married. Was told I would be mother of many children. I have 2. And absolutly othing about me true herritage Im a Jew by blood my father was one till he was a teenager (and I spose still is in a way)

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 03:40AM

I was never a patriarch (in either sense!) but I did give plenty of priesthood blessings. You get kind of a pattern going in how you formulate a blessing. I'm sure patriarchs are even more like this, since they give so many.

Nickname's "helpful" steps to giving an "inspired" "priesthood" "blessing":
1. Take a few minutes, usually on the way over, to think about other blessings you've given and come up with a few "blessings" and phrases that sound nice.
2. Talk to the person for a few minutes finding out their problem and what they expect from the blessing.
3. Sit awkwardly for half a minute or so, combining elements from step #1 with things you've just learned from step #2.
4. Forget their middle name.
5. Start off with your standard word for word opening. Meanwhile, beg God to give you something to say, because you've totally blanked at this point.
6. Tell them that God loves them. This is always appropriate and appreciated in every "blessing," plus it gives you more time to try to get "inspiration" about what God "wants" you to say.
7. Pause awkwardly again. Now you're really desperate, you're already waist deep into it and you've got nothing to say!! Panic mode!!!
8. Just B.S. it! If they're sick, tell them that they'll be healed. If they're having a hard time, tell them that things will get better. After all, unless they're literally dying, its almost guaranteed to be true!
9. Relax a little. This isn't turning out so bad. Remember a few of the nice phrases that you came up with from steps 1-3. Throw those in for extra "inspired-ness." Genuinely believe that they were given to you by "the Spirit" "in the very hour" you needed them, despite knowing that you thought them up just minutes ago.
10. Close by audaciously claiming that the blessing came from God. Whew! Wipe away a bit of sweat from another near-disaster, and then accept the recipient's gratitude and possibly cookies.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 10:20AM

Not much difference between mormonism and voodoo except the social class of the participants.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 05:19PM

I have never in my life (77 years) had first hand knowledge of a
"priesthood blessing" curing anyone of any disease or ailment that they would not have otherwise recovered from.

Posted by: Mormon-0|Science-1 ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 05:30PM

Amen!

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 06:07PM

Mormon priesthood claims is a compelling reason to reject Mormonism that does not require the Internet. The Mormon priesthood claim is fundamental to them and insane. Think it through, figure it out.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 05:31PM

I always gave pretty good and frequently true priesthood blessings. I just got up and said whatever felt right, listening to "the still small voice". I have since come to understand that I am very observant and have a strong and reliable intuition. I can still know approximately the right things to say and the "spirit of discernment" type things about people just from talking to them. Nothing magical about it, just the way my mind works. I assume most priesthood blessings operate like this, or like the way Nickname outlines.

One thing that I always thought odd, my father was way into genealogy and has traced our family back to Judah. So why were we all in Ephraim, when there was no evidence of blood relation there? It makes sense now, but it went straight to my shelf back then.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 05:57PM

1. Tell them god loves them
2. Tell them what they want to hear
3. Tell them the blessing is contingent on their faith
4. Name-drop jesus

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 06:13PM

I had my patriarchal blessing when I was the correct age for it, whenever that was....I read it once....sounded like BS....then I stood in the circle when each of my parents were on their death bed....I had zero spiritual feelings after each one and consider them a waste of time and an intrusion into one of the most trying and personal times of my life.

Ron Burr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2013 09:29PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.