Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: heretic ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 01:43PM

*1975-76 Melchizedek Priesthood Study Guide, Lesson 11, Part 4, "What Is the Consequence of Disobedience?" Smith, Gospel Doctrine, p. 45 (my emphasis)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2013 01:45PM by heretic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: citizen not logged in ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 02:09PM

Thanks, perfect quote for some material I'm putting together...

Date: March 12, 2013 05:37PM

I wouldn't know because I pulled the quote from the original study guide which I have a copy of.

If it would help you I'd be happy to type out the entire paragraph from which the quote was taken.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2013 05:39PM by heretic.

Posted by: citizen not logged in ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 06:53PM

Thanks for checking back. That would be helpful if it isn't too much trouble. I would also appreciate a photocopy of the original if we could arrange that (even an image or scan of the book would be great). Would it be OK if I got in touch with you through email via admin? Always appreciate your quotes and this is precisely what I'm looking for...

Date: March 13, 2013 12:28PM

Yes, if Susan will give you my email address you're welcome to contact me.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 09:49PM

"The moment a man says he will not submit to legally constituted authority of the Church, whether it be the Teachers, the Bishopric, the High Council, his Quorum or the First Presidency, and in his heart confirms it and carries it out, that moment he cuts himself off from the privileges and blessings of the Priesthood and Church, and severs himself from the people of God, for he ignores the auhority that He has instituted in His Church. These are the men that generally get crochets in their heads, that get inspiration (from beneath) and that are often so desirous to guide the Church, and to sit in judgment upon the Priesthood. The only safe way for us to do, as individuals, is to live so humbly, so righteously and so faithfully before God, that we may possess His Spirit to that extent that we will be able to judge righteously, and discern between truth and error, between right and wrong; and then we will know when a decision is rendered against us that in 99 cases out of a hundred we are in error, and that the decision is right; and although we may at the time not be fully able to see and feel its justness, yet will be constrained to say that inasmuch as there are sixteen chances against one for me to be wrong, “I will gracefully and humbly submit.” The pith of the matter is, the Lord has established His Church, organized His Priesthood, and conferred authority upon certain individuals, councils and quorums, and it is the duty of the people of God to live so that they shall know that these are acceptable unto Him. If we begin to cut off this one and that one, and set their authority aside, we may just as well at once set God himself aside, and say he has no right to dictate. Amen."

President Joseph F. Smith; discourse delivered at Ogden, Sunday Morning, June 21st, 1883. (Journal of Discourses, Vol 24, pp. 193-94)

This was later reprinted in "Gospel Doctrine: Selections from the Sermons and Writings of Joseph F. Smith"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2013 09:57PM by baura.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 12:39PM

“'The moment a man says he will not submit to the legally constituted authority of the Church, whether it be the teachers, the bishopric, the high council, his quorum, or the First Presidency, and in his heart confirms it and carries it out, that moment he cuts himself off from the privileges and blessings of the Priesthood and Church, and severs himself from the people of God, for he ignores the authority that the Lord has instituted in his Church.' (Gospel Doctrine, 5th ed., Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1939, p. 45.)"

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=59&sourceId=244baeca0ea6b010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.