Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 03:21AM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2292361/Woman-stages-flash-mob-proposal-airport-arrivals-gate-boyfriend-returns-year-trip-said-yes.html

So the flash mob style is maybe a little more unique, but proposing within seconds of seeing each other after two years? Surely you need a bit of time to reacquaint?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 04:21AM

that was just repulsive. i wasn't sure if she was going to propose to him or just eat him. the cult should just put temples in all the major airports so that the rm's can get married before they are actually released.

i'm so disturbed on so many levels. these people are without any normal boundaries!

Posted by: german lurker ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 05:13AM

what was that? sort of a third-class horror show?

> i'm so disturbed on so many levels.

me too!

> the cult should just put temples in all the major airports so that the rm's can get married before they are actually released.

lol - very innovative idea :-)

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 05:01AM

Wow. Now I'm even MORE glad that my son's girlfriend sent him a "Dear John" letter a few months ago.

The article said they plan to get married in April? Like, next month??? Mormons are just freakin' strange.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 05:44AM

Just think, you've literally just returned from a two year mission and a girl promises you sex (legally within the eyes of the church) a month later.... and puts you on the spot in front of all your family & friends... and you're being filmed and it's about to go viral....

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 05:55AM

they may not be prepared for marriage in any other way, BUT both of them have a huge head start on ALREADY being frumpy/dumpy/ over the hill/ used up/ burned out/ that usually takes at least another decade. Its like these ppl never had their twenties as a phase of their life.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 06:50AM

This was premeditated and calculated as a way of ensuring She got her man. A returned Missionary is the tastiest of marriage material and you have to get them whilst their hot.

Wait a month or two and they've either gone inactive or some other desperate 20 year old will have snapped them up to avoid becoming one of those desperate single adults without a mate.

Date: March 13, 2013 06:52AM

From the article:
"Mr Spitler already had marriage on the cards, and after Miss Jones' proposal he retrieved an engagement ring from his hand luggage and returned the question."

A missionary was able to go and buy an engagement ring whilst on his mission?

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 06:57AM

I thought it was actually kind of cute.

I do think that the rules say he is only supposed to hug family members until he is officially released though.

Date: March 13, 2013 06:59AM

Wait...

"Distance makes the heart grow fonder: The happy couple hadn't seen each other for two years and had only communicated via email and letter."

Girlfriends can e mail missionaries?

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 10:36AM

Absence (abstinence) makes the hard-on grow longer

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 09:38PM

Posted by: nomoe ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 07:33AM

Is my computer screen resolution messed up or is virtually everyone in that video plus sized ?

Date: March 13, 2013 08:12AM

Not "plus sized", we prefer "Word of Wisdom challenged".

Posted by: Anubis ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 03:52PM

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 06:30PM

It's Oklahoma. High obesity rate.

Posted by: destiny ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 08:04AM

Oooooh Gawwwwwd!

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 08:09AM

Well this should be interesting. My experiences with returned missionaries are that they're like little zombies who don't know what to do with themselves. They keep looking behind them, to figure out where their companions are. There's no one more awkward than a returned mishie.

Once he comes to, he'll go, "Wait, what?"

Posted by: anubis ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 03:40PM

Of course that means his alone time is shot to hell.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 08:10AM

before he even left on his mission--though that was 35 years ago. They got married 2 weeks after he returned.

It is noteworthy that they did get divorced some 20 years later.

Posted by: Utah County Mom ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 10:25AM

Ah, come on you guys. Leave them alone. Sounds to me like they both had the same thing in mind. If it were me, I'd have wanted to wait to spend some time together--but if they know what they want and have known each other for some time, they may have a successful life together. I wish them well.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 10:27AM

+1

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 10:37AM

I think they are bat crap crazy but it's their lives and they have as much right to behave crazy as anyone. People do stupider things than this but you do wonder how the situation would be different if they weren't under the Morg's influence. Kinda like you wonder how many people get married ill-advisedly in Vegas because they are drunk.

It adds to the weirdness factor of Mormonism in general, since most people will be as impressed with this video as they were when they heard about Brittney Spears getting married and divorced 56 hours later. Although I'm sure they can't see how they are weird and will probably put it down to mean, anti-Mormonism and people not understanding their righteous desires...

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 11:05AM

I'm sure the older TBMs are horrified and think the YW need to be reminded who proposes to whom...

And obviously the GF has been successfully brainwashed into believing all the junk about the blessings that accompany marrying a RM. She CAN'T WAIT to become a happy molly mo and start breeding. Very, very disturbing.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 11:22AM

They both look pretty happy. Look at her smile especially as she looks up at him. They have as good a shot at a happy marriage as any two people who haven't seen each other in two years. And yes they are both chubby but chubby people need love too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2013 11:23AM by suckafoo.

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 11:22AM

Wait a minute! He's not even supposed to be touching her until after he's been released! Unless things have changed since the 70's.

TG

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 11:23AM

And he looks a little older than missionary age? Hmm.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 05:32PM

TRUE STORY: My grandfather had to get special permission to leave his mission a week early so he could make it back in time for his own wedding.

See, he and my grandma had met and dated before he left. When it was getting close to time for him to come home, my grandma decided she didn't want to wait. So, she planned everything without him while he was gone. She printed up the invites and sent him one while he was still on his mission. She had picked the date to be a week after his release date - but hadn't taken into account the amount of time he would be on the boat crossing the Pacific to get back to the states.

Good thing Gramps was smitten, because he went with it. He got released early, spent several days crossing on a boat, and eventually made it to Provo. They were married two days later.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 09:44PM

Posted by: sistersalamander ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 06:00PM

Heck, I knew plenty of couples that got engaged before the guy went on his mission. Of the ones who married, a fair number (fo the ones I've kept in contact with or who are on Facebook) are still together and seem to pretty happy -- over a decade later.

If they're really in love and sure that this is what they want, I wish them well and hope they're happy. The world could use more happy couples, no matter what their religious beliefs (or lack thereof).

And who cares if they are "plus-sized?" It bothers me that even here on RfM some of us judge beauty and love-ability by body fat percentage.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 07:10PM

Oh. I thought it said "Girlfriend proposes to return missionary to the airport."

Posted by: Cantdoit ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 09:27PM

What kind of mormon fuckery goes on in the church is jacked up! Lets get hiched after no contact for two years. Wtf???

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 10:06PM

..."Um, are you sure this is a good idea?"

Or, if anyone did, she probably replied, "Yes, I prayed about it and the Holy Ghost confirmed the correctness of it." Funny how the HG almost always validates stupid ideas.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.