Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 12:32PM

First off, I'm going to try to steer clear of anything political except that political extremists are included in my rant.

Why is it that extremists - be they religious, political, idealogocal - always accuse people of attacking them if those people happen to disagree? Why are we the dissenters not allowed to have our own opinions, & are labeled by the extremists as being closed-minded, bigoted, & hateful? WTF are their problems?

I've seen this kind of behavior across the board by all different kinds of extremists, but especially with right-wing Morg & Christian extremists.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 01:46PM

I'm sure there are lots of reasons. Here's my take. Extremist positions are very hard to defend. The reason they're considered extreme is because almost all of the evidence points to something else. They are unable to justify their positions, so they feel that since their opinions are under attack they are also under attack.

It's always fun to turn their strategy against them: How DARE you not like chocolate ice cream!!! My ancestors fought for the right for us to have chocolate ice cream, and I'm not about to let you take that away from me!!! Only someone completely EVIL would not like chocolate ice cream! It's fun to hold the mirror up to them and show them how ugly they look.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 02:00PM

Because you are attacking what they have come to identify with: ego.

Their political views, religious dogmas, sports teams, music, literature, hobbies, likes, dislikes and such stuff all make up a fictional character they pretend exists and with which they fully identify.

So their political view is just as much a part of them as your arm is a part of you. Showing someone like that their political view is silly is no different than trying to cut off their arm.

Since they identify with ideas, and ideas are always coming under attack, they are always under attack.

It's no way to live if you ask me..

Posted by: Cowardly lion ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 06:02AM

Ya extremest have so much of their idenity tied up with their cause. you take that away and what have you got.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 02:18PM

Religious zealots do become confrontational when called out on the real costs and true damages religions cause.

The zealots must resort to nasty personal remarks rather than counter actual facts.

When we look at the new atheists, that is the problem with Richard Dawkins. He makes his arguments based on logic. To religious sorts, logic is not important.

That is why I find the arguments of Christopher Hitchens to be much more effective. He treats religion and religious people the way they should be treated, with ridicule, scorn, and contempt.

In the United States, and particularly the LDS religions, they cower behind the first amendment and goodwill of the people. This is done while running a harmful theocracy in at least one state, promoting very harmful and hateful legislation such as Prop 8, and systematic tax evasion.

They need to be exposed on a national level, and many should be incarcerated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2013 02:18PM by deco.

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 08:34PM

I don't consider myself to be part of the "New Atheist" movement. I'm one of those regular old disbelievers. lol I always liked Hitchens far more than Dawkins though, & I miss his bold personality.

Posted by: Cowardly lion ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 05:57AM

While I agree thatthe morg. promotes hatred and bigotry. I dont blame God for that. IMO, God is the shield they hide behind! When you rape pillage and steal ;that shocking; PUT GOD in front of it makes it ok. Just think of the power a corp. would have with the name of...oh wait.

Posted by: to the top ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 07:14PM

Posted by: agrazingmace ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 07:19PM

bravo deco!!
beautifully worded

btw is your first name art? heh

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:32AM

What's wrong with them?

Typically, they lack education and/or experience. I'm running into this problem at work right now.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 03:58AM

If there's no sensible counter argument an extremist goes for the person.

Notice on RfM how TBM-types attact emotions? "You're bitter, you need to move on, you're hateful and angry."

That's easier than trying to come up with logical reasoning for why the morg believes in angels with swords, or why they go after minor children leaving parents out of the loop.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.