Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: davidlkent ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 12:42PM

In the Winter 1971 issue of BYU Studies, Stanley Buchholz Kimball (1926-2003) wrote, in "Thomas L. Barnes: Coroner of Carthage", that "recently [letters from Barnes had] come to light." Evidently Dr. Kimball had been sleeping under a rock for the preceding two decades. In Nels Benjamin Lundwall's The Fate of the Persecutors of the Prophet Joseph Smith (SLC: Bookcraft, 1952), he had quoted in its entirety the 1897 letter from Thomas Langley Barnes (1812-1901) to his daughter describing the death of Joseph and Hyrum Smith in 1844. In that letter Barnes mentions the four wounds John Taylor received: one ball in the hand, one in the thigh, one in the pocket watch, and one "lodging in his notus". In his notus? In his nuts? Kimball read this as 'noties' and guessed Barnes referred to nodes of the lymph glands. He was wrong. My Latin kicked in. Of course: it was nates, from the Latin natis, buttocks. 'Nates' was in common usage among doctors since at least the Civil War, meaning buttocks. Presumably Taylor carried this ball, along with his seven wives, for the ensuing 43 years until he died hiding from the U.S. government in 1887. The Latin term for lead is plumbum, and as a poetaster Taylor would have appreciated the irony: He had received a chunk of it right plumb in his bum.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 12:45PM

Great bass player. Even thought it was a boys pop band Duran Duran had some talent. Met him once. I was expecting him to be a snob but he actually was really nice.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 01:03PM

I've always been glad that MY Taylor line split off from THAT Taylor line well before either clan the trip to America. JT the Mormon GA was a liar, a polygamist and definitely did NOT do as JS advised: "We believe......in obeying, honoring and sustaining the law."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.