Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kabbima ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 01:01PM

I sent an email on Monday saying we are choosing to resign etc etc. We got our reply saying they are passing our information to the local leaders blah blah blah. I'm particularly fond of the "your basically going to hell because of your decision" line.

I'm also fond of the "invitation" saying to "return to partake of the happiness you once knew. You will find many with outstretched arms to welcome you...." Ha the only reason they will welcome me back is because I'm LDS again and no longer the representation of the devil on this earth.

I've gotta say, resigning has made me happier than anything concerning the church ever did!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: davidlkent ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 01:04PM

Congratulations on making the move, kabbima. "Outstretched arms" indeed; sounds like an octopus.

Date: March 13, 2013 02:17PM

Haha, indeed! Thank you, I have to say finally severing ties feels pretty damn good!

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 02:23PM

I like how you will find many outstretched arms IF you return. If you don't return, you'll find nothing but so many cold shoulders.

Date: March 13, 2013 03:22PM

I agree nickname! When you break the letter down all it is is fear tactics!

Posted by: rogertheshrubber ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 01:12PM

And good luck in the transition. I found this board to be invaluable in dealing with the pain of losing family members and friends after I left.

Date: March 13, 2013 02:18PM

Thank you!

Posted by: memyself ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 01:31PM

Please be prepared, your wards Bishop will undoubtedly show up at your door without an invitation...hopefully this will not happen to you..these ppl have no personal boundaries..If you have children speak to them about alerting you of any text or calls they may receive...I wish for you great happiness, but prepare yourself for the harassment that can ensue

Date: March 13, 2013 02:16PM

I figured as much when I read the letter. Thankfully my hubby and I have both been inactive for 14 years (from the age of 12). We have lived in this ward 5 years and they know we don't go so I'm hoping that will help them do it without the need to pester us. If they choose to then I'll deal with that. My decision won't be changing and they will learn that.

Posted by: justrob ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 02:22PM

Haha, yeah, nothing so heart-felt and sincere as a form letter.

Mine asked me to please read the included statement... yet there was nothing else in the envelope. So I missed out on some of the form-letter goodness ;)

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 02:24PM

Oh no! Such a tragic loss!

Date: March 13, 2013 03:21PM

I'm only sad you missed the opportunity to laugh. If you break it down its pretty pathetic attempt to keep someone. Fear tactics is blatantly apparent.

Posted by: justrob ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 03:23PM

I'll have to ask someone to save theirs, so I can read it
(obviously followed by a jarring realization of the error of my ways, immediate repentance and rebaptism... hahaha)

Date: March 13, 2013 03:26PM

Lol, seriously as someone who has never been active in their adult life, and cares nothing for the church it's laughable. I think it really shows their inner workings though!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 02:22PM

Congratulation on your resignation.

Date: March 13, 2013 03:20PM

Hahah, that's the first thing I thought Cheryl! Thank you, I'm thrilled to be leaving! I sent a message to my hubby with the gist of the letter and we had a good laugh. For us it's funny, but the church has never had a significance in our lives. It's tragic to think about those who are having a difficult time leaving, then to have them say that s**t. It's disgusting. :(.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.