Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 03:08PM

Mormon: Why'd you leave the church?
Me: Because I quite enjoy laughing out loud...
Mormon: So?
Me: So your church makes people swear an oath not to laugh out loud...
Mormon: ...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 04:08PM

That's a good one. I also like the idea of saying "Because I know more about it than you do" in a slightly smug voice. Of course, no one ever asks me anything, probably because they know I will answer and not mince words and their own testimonies "can't handle the truth." (to quote Jack Nicholson)

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 09:58AM

I like this, CA girl. It's similar to mine, which is, "I learned some factual things about Mormon history that were very different than what we are told in church. I discovered I cared very much about truth. Would you like to know more?"

I have literally had not one person want to know more about truth in the Mormon church. EVEN MISSIONARIES.

Quite an eye opener.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Some guy ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 04:45PM

What about: "Because I was sick of being so goddamned weird". Not as two-edged as your response it gets a good laugh when asked by non-members.

Posted by: Dallin A. Chokes ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 06:05PM

I'm not weird, I'm "peculiar".

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 11:12AM

That's funny as hell.

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 05:19PM

If asked I will say "the church left me"

Posted by: Darkfem ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 07:18PM

I use, "I can't be bothered," when people ask me about Catholicism and/or belief in god. There's usually no follow-up :).

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 07:19PM

The same reason I stopped playing with army soldiers. I grew up and moved from a magic world view to a pragmatic understanding.

It's amazing to me that grown adults wear secret gowns and exchange secret Mormon gang symbols and handshakes. Priesthood is the tree fort with a "no girls allowed sign." Relief Society is like the priesthood, but without the fort. The girls have to have their tea party on the lawn.

"You can't be twenty on Sugar Mountain, though you think you're leaving there too soon." --Neil Young

The Mormons don't want to leave Sugar Mountain, ever. So they go all Peter Pan and act childish. Then they call their behavior a virtue.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2013 07:27PM by donbagley.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 10:23AM

hehehe...

The Morg: childish, not child-like

Don, you always make me LOL

Posted by: Some guy ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 10:42AM

Amen. I see this a lot when TBM family talks about going to Disney world. The kids are under 5 or babies but they're off to meet Snow White. In general, the morg is a lot like junior high school. The folks that really enjoyed that time seem to be the same folks I still at church now. Being "like a child" really appeals to some people, enough to even scrub poop off of toilets to make it happen.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 07:21PM

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 07:22PM

They really don't want to know, and deep down inside many of them already know

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 07:24PM

I accidentally found out my brain actually works and I'm going with that. Oh, and self respect.

Posted by: Stormin ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 11:11PM

I have to admit I was a morbot "slave" for so long I really enjoy the freedom I have on Sunday now and look forward to it. Instead of 3 hours of torture meetings and normally assignments I now wake up to a leisurly day of TV, Internet Bible study/servmons, taking a walk and enjoying the out of doors, then normally dinner and activities with the grandkids.

My DW is still a morbot (by not wanting to hear the truth) and sees how I am enjoying the day (instead of being tortured for telling church leaders what they could do with my callings and not paying fire insurance) versus her running here and there doing assignments, etc. so she comes home somewhat worn out.

She was clearly jealous of my enjoyment of last Sunday, especially with the time change and all she had to do. We will see how long it takes until she finds I am not being obviously punished for not paying tithing for the last 3 years and not holding any callings or attending church and wants to know more! Hopefully, my mature kids will also see how God is punishing me and desire that same punishment for themselves.

I am still a Christian but bring in the best Sermons/Preachers via internet and do feast at the smorgasboard of Christianity --- I actually like some of the Preachers so much I watch their sermons each day ------- of course just to punish myself with the positive Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 12:39AM

losing a testimony about joseph smith is EXACTLY the same as losing a testimony about santa claus

Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:14AM

Because it made my life a living hell and I was miserable. I've found it pretty much stops the conversation completely, even when I really want to explain!

Posted by: psychobabble ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:16AM

@sonoma

I love that idea of comparing Santa Claus and Joseph Smith. And if they try to argue that Joseph Smith was a real person in history ... you can say ... "oh, so history DOES matter?" Then proceed to lay out all the historical facts that joseph smith was in fact a pretty terrible person.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:19AM

a great approach!

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 10:27AM

Actually, Santa existed in many cultures, under different names. I'm too lazy to site all the historical evidence, but, suffice it to say that Joe Smith is the real phony, not Kris Kringle and the others...

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:18AM

Cuz the founder stole all his best material from the masons?

The masonic Legend of Enoch contains a very familiar First Vision account...

JS not a prophet, but a plagiarist.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 02:00AM

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 02:30AM

"Sex & drugs, of course. Yes, sex & drugs."

Posted by: JamesL ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 09:25AM

My best answer so far (although I may use the "laughter" one at some point) has been "Because living as a Mormon was too easy." When the questioner claimed that "living the gospel is hard" I pointed out that it isn't, because all the decisions of how to live and all the thinking about life have already been done for them. If all decisions of how one is going to live have already been made, life become too easy.

Posted by: Not logged in ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 09:57AM

Posted by: Turkey Vulture ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 10:03AM

In my best BRAVEHEART impersonation I scream out FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM!!!

Posted by: anoninnv ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 10:15AM

"I don't need church. I have a relationship with God." When I still believed in God.

Though lately I've been more of an atheist. So I go with "I'm thankful every day, so I don't have to go to church just one day."

Posted by: Bobthetaxman ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 10:17AM

I teetered for a long time on whether to jump the train or quietly ride off into the sunset and leave it alone. My family had pretty much all left it years ago and I had recently moved from Utah to Oregon. I had a conversation with gay friend of mine that was tormenting over his fear of leaving the church because, "What if I'm wrong!", was overwhelming. I challenged him to go to the "This is the place" monument, stand on the edge of the wall surrounding the statue, and shout out as loud as he could, "I no longer am controlled by the church. I am free!".

He actually did that challenge and felt relieved and excited. I then challenged him to go ahead and write the letter. He was still too afraid to go that far, but I realized I was actually challenging MYSELF.

I got on line, found the standard letter, filled it out and mailed it in. There were several anxious months as I waited, complied with the demands I contact the local bishop, and still hadn't heard anything. Finally, I wrote a demand notice saying my attorney would be the next person they hear from and the final letter was here in a matter of days.

I left the church because it no longer represented WHO I AM. The lies and deceptions regarding JS, BOM, BOA, murders, dominations, polygamy, polyandry, all of it was made very clear in a short time space and that did it for me.

Posted by: sstone ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 10:48AM

Ah yes, the demand letter. Sad that so often you have to write that letter in order to get anyone to take you seriously.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 10:52AM

"The church built a higher-end great and spacious mall that few faithful members can afford to shop at, and the prophet is there opening day chanting 'Let's go shopping'". The LDS church built a monument to Babylon that is within throwing distance of the SLC temple. Clearly your church is no longer His."

Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 11:08AM

Look at the questioner incredulously, and say, "Good Lord! Why are you STILL IN??!!"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.