Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 03:25PM

So do you think the 12 are shitting their depends right now given that high baptism strongholds are in Latin America? Will the Catholics have a renewed faith and loyalty to the Catholic church with the new leadership?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 03:27PM

LOL! I hadn't thought of that, but I'll bet you're right.

This should have such an effect.

I hope so.

Anything to keep them from joining the great whore of the entire earth (that would be the mormon church I'm refering to)

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 03:42PM

Huge revival in South America.

The 12 are shitting.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 05:39PM

One of my TBM facebook friends is claiming that the church elected a South American in a desperate attempt to slow LSD, Inc's growth in Latin America. I'm sure if you asked the College of Cardinals for a response, it would be something along the lines of "Latter-day Saints? Which one are they again?"

Mormons are such hillbillies.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 05:53PM

sparty Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One of my TBM facebook friends is claiming that
> the church elected a South American in a desperate
> attempt to slow LSD, Inc's growth in Latin
> America.

I actually laughed out loud reading that. Prostestant evangelicals, including Pentecostals, are doing very well throughout Latin America. If there are other faiths the Catholic hierarchy may be preceive as a threat to Catholicism in the region, it would be those denominations. Mormonism? No way.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 06:06PM

This is one of my challenges and frustrations, I am forced, unless I abandon, to deal Mormons who think they are relevant. They are relevant only that I had the misfortune of being born into a cult where my genetic and biochemical compatriots (family)apparently failed to connect the dots.

I truly left Mormonism because I figured out it was a fraud. It is a fraud. Why do I have to be related to people who make a fraud the foundation of their lives.

Poor me. One of them emerged recently after 3 years of silence, what a waste.

Posted by: rd4jesus ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 05:49PM

I think we will see a bit of a revival in Latin America, but I'm not sure how passionate Latin Americans are about Catholocism any longer. I served my mission in Brazil and it seemed like most Catholics were Catholic in name only. We'll have to see.

Date: March 13, 2013 05:59PM

Most Catholics I know are Catholic in name only. Mostly a cultural thing. But I'm thinking maybe that cultural loyalty will be revived with the new pope and make it harder to get them to leave their fold and into Mormonism.

Posted by: destiny ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 06:08PM

Posted by: rd4jesus ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 06:23PM

LOL! He's part Italian too.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 06:48PM

No. His parents were Italian immigrants. Or at least his father was.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 10:36PM

Yeah, I was going to say, I saw pictures of him, and he looks pretty white to me...

Posted by: albertasaurus ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 06:41PM

I wouldn't be surprised. One of my companions was supposed to go to argentina but they wouldn't let him in bc the new guy in charge of visas was a hardcore catholic

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 06:57PM

Pope Francis will likely be traveling to Rio de Janeiro in July for the Catholic World Youth Day. Talk about a rock star moment. Yeah, I think the Mormon church in South America is about to take a hit.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 07:05PM

He seems like such a chirpy old dude. I love him already.

Don't you wish choosing "The Prophet" were as joyful a ceremony? Marching soldiers? Military bands? People clapping? Flags waving? Instead, his yes-men change his Depends and shove him up to the mike where he immediately begins chastising people for not going the length or not paying enough tithing. What a drag. There's certainly no happiness.

Posted by: anon for now ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 09:28PM

That's super naive to think the Catholic Church's problems will be alleviated and people will have more faith because of a new pope. The damage done by the sexual abuse scandals will not go away because of the new pope, and neither will Catholics around the world will suddenly start going to church every single week or anything. There are a lot of 'cafeteria Catholics' in the world and they're not going to change their lives (stop using condoms etc) because of the new pope.

You're giving the pope too much credit. And I think too many people (even some on these boards give too much credit to 'LDS growth' in Latin America. The vast majority of people in Latin America are NOT Mormon, and activity rates and retention rates are said to be low. A new pope won't change anything for both the Catholic Church or missions. If missions are closing in S. America, that's because the people don't care about TSCC, not because of the pope.

Date: March 13, 2013 09:58PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2013 10:00PM by goldenrule.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 10:29PM

Of course the new Pope will impact South America and Catholicism there. Will it hurt the Morg? It sure won't help. Wait till the Pope makes an appearance in South America. People get caught up in that stuff. As marketing goes it beats sending kids out to knock on doors.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.