Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 03:30PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 03:35PM

I'm so sorry to read that. :-( Even as a non-practicing, agnostic "Catholic," I initially had felt very hopeful and happy about this guy being the first Hispanic pontiff, one who apparently cares deeply about the poor, etc. Sigh.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 03:37PM

...the new pope would be anti-gay?

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 03:37PM

Are you sure? Just take a look at the way he & his buddies are dressed.....

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 03:41PM

My take is its a good choice all things considered.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 03:40PM

Were we supposed to expect something else?

Posted by: lovenlife ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 04:12PM

They all have those funny lookin clothes on just like they are ready for a session at the lds temple, nice hats too!!!

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 03:45PM

I am sure there are allegedly pro-gay Catholics that will continue to support the Catholic Church even though it means they are clearly supporting an institution that fights against gays.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 03:48PM

Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 03:49PM

I like that he is a Jesuit and I like his name.
But Catholics are catholic .....
There be some drunk Catholics partying tonight.
hehehe

Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 03:53PM

I thought that too Heresy

but those old rich white guys seem to live on and on and

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 03:49PM

That's like expecting Iran to elect a woman as President.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 03:52PM

Worse yet, he's well into his 70s.

I predict he'll have exactly the same kind of reign as Monson. That is just way to old to take on a new job as the head of a global conglomerate. I say that respectfully as someone a only a few years younger than he is.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 03:54PM

John XXXIII did a lot and he was old. Depends on his health and the type of guy he is. Some people function well at his age and some do not.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 03:56PM

Are the children going to be ok, though?

Or are they going to continue to be fucked and then tossed aside like broken dolls?

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 04:01PM

Her husband passed away in October, 2010...

Wiki reports that Argentina has "the most advanced" LGBT rights in South America...

Thanks Jacob, for the information, BTW... I knew nothing of any of this including who Argentina's leader was...

Perhaps President Obama should invite Pope Francis to the White House to discuss this one over a beer...

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 04:05PM

How would his views differ from any other candidate though? One would expect based on the dogma of the catholic church, for any pope to be anti-gay.

What would be a real head turner would be a pro-gay, or gay neutral pope. I don't see that happening any time soon unfortunately.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 04:13PM

I couldn't have hoped for anything better: another out of touch, homophobic, tradition driven, near octogenarian pope. Hopefully it will help with the decline of religious belief in the world. Gays and gays marriage is almost universally accepted as a normal lifestyle by secular humanists and free thinkers throughout the planet. Long live the pope.

He couldn't have picked a worse name for the US. Francis has not been popular since the '50s since alcoholic actress Francis Framer lost her mind and Francis the Talking Mule was popular as the worst B movies in history.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=5&gs_ri=psy-ab&tok=1beZ2Mdc1MCz__ZrzVKM3g&cp=10&gs_id=18&xhr=t&q=francis+the+talking+mule&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.43287494,d.aWM&biw=1093&bih=546&wrapid=tljp1363205356256021&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=79xAUcykEIarrQHAgoGIBw#imgrc=PUeoZllvCaXE6M%3A%3Bw6xz2ayfJMk5IM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fmedia.comicvine.com%252Fuploads%252F2%252F27722%252F827024-frances2_large.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.comicvine.com%252Ffrancis-the-talking-mule%252F29-55651%252F%3B300%3B387

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2013 05:07PM by No Mo.

Date: March 13, 2013 04:18PM

And the feminine is "Frances".

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 05:01PM

BadGirl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And the feminine is "Frances".

I agree. Considering how popular St. Francis is (even among some non-Catholics), I was actually very surprised that this guy is the first "Francis." If he actually lives up to the name, that will be a wonderful thing, but sadly, I won't hold my breath.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 05:03PM

BadGirl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And the feminine is "Frances".

Thank you, I stand corrected. Spelling is a problem with homophones. I haven't known one Frances since the 50s, while in grade school.

As far as a well-liked saint, he is part of a religious culture of murder, repression, torture, pedophilia, homophobia, mythology, misogyny, misappropriation, genocide, that held back progression, knowledge, science, and culture of civilization for a couple of thousand years. The idea of a man or woman becoming a saint is just absurd. There are no miracles and the idea of worshipping dead saints is a bane to humanity. At the time of his priesthood, the Catholic Church was in the middle of a 200 year campaign to wipeout Muslims in the Mid-East. It is a church and a culture that needs to be flushed down the toilet of civilization.

It actually is difficult to separate the myth from the truth with these venerated saints. I am sure that most Catholics envision him with a halo over his head in life as depicted by religious artists.

On the other hand, the buildings are interesting to tour.

Date: March 13, 2013 06:14PM

Francis Ford Coppola
Frank Sinatra
I'm sure we all know quite a few "Franks".
Fran Tarkenton, etc.

And Frances -- I know 3 women named Frances personally, and know of many more.
Fran, Frannie, Francie, Frances

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 06:28PM

He/she had a typo with "Frances Farmer" (a tragic story to be sure), but this movie star preceded Mr. Ed...

http://www.reelz.com/trailer-clips/23036/francis-the-talking-mule-trailer/

And seriously, this one's on-topic. We used to watch them at the old Saturday "Ward Shows," although I don't recall that one with the "jackass joke."

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 06:22PM

Wow, your tolerance is so inspiring.Yeah, Catholics have done some bad things, but they have also done some good things. As far as St. Francis, I agree that it is hard to separate reality from myth, but regardless, he is a good example to follow. He gave away his wealth, helped the poor and loved animals. Sounds good to me even if it isn't all true.Making fun of his name is stupid, IMO, and Frances is feminine, Francis is male.Just so you don't make that mistake again.

Date: March 13, 2013 06:39PM

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 04:17PM

I don't know. I heard them all calling the new pope Francis. We all know what that means.

Date: March 13, 2013 04:19PM

Posted by: excatholic ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 04:17PM

Gee, what a surprise.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 04:25PM

To quote Pee--wee Herman: "It's not for sale....Fran-CIS!"

Posted by: sanitationengineer ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 05:28PM

"Lighten Up Francis"

Posted by: Heynonny ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 06:46PM

...if you touch my stuff....... Ill kill ya. Lol
How about Francis bavier.... Aunt Bee?

Date: March 13, 2013 06:48PM

Date: March 13, 2013 06:52PM

That probably inspired the episode where Aunt Bee soloed.

Posted by: Darkfem ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 07:07PM

Groan.

The Cardinals have chosen a figurehead that allows for the smooth reproduction of a #%@&ed up system, including its despicable treatment of gay people, women, and of course abuse.

No surprise. The system is rotten at its core.

Posted by: rogermartim ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 07:12PM

The Jesuits have been in the last 50-100 years the most progressive of all RC entities. It will be interesting to see whether this will translate into future policies coming from the Vatican. I think there will be. It will be slow going but what else can be expected.

At least the RC Church doesn't amend scriptures as the LDS Church seems to be doing lately which is basically whoring itself in a desperate measure to save itself.

I am happy with the choice of Pope Francis I.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.