Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SuperBigGulp ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 03:54PM

I mean, wouldn't it have been easier for God to tell Joe to correct the translation errors in the KJV Bible and then add new scripture instead of directing him to dig up some golden tablets? Makes sense to me. I can hear the conversation now:

GOD: Joe, we have a problem with the bible. It can be believed only as far as it's translated correctly. Christian churches are an abomination.

Joe: Okay, so what do you want me to do about it?

GOD: Fix these verses here and there. Replace this, now fix this part…. Good! The Old Testament and New Testament are back in line. Now we need to add a bunch of new scripture about Jews coming to America and becoming native Americans. Then I will send Jesus to visit them. Got it?

Joe: Yes sir! I'm on it!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: DonQuijote ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 04:07PM

Have you read about the JST Bible? He went through both the old and new testaments and "corrected" a lot of the scriptures. He even added a few new chapters to the beginning of Genesis. But he forgot that some of the same verses he corrected in the Bible, were still in their uncorrected form in the Book of Mormon. Whoops!

Posted by: markrichards ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 04:15PM

The Reformed Latter Day Saints, located in Missouri (now called the Community of Christ), and a couple of other 'mormon groups' use Uncle Joe's translation and ignore totally the KJV or any other translation available at the time uncle Joe slithered on the earth.

BTW, I don't have time to google it, I believe TSCC 'lost' a lawsuit in Federal Court with the RLDS church. Both groups were suing over the term 'reformed.' The Missouri people believed they are the 'true' LDS church and the Utah people to be the 'reformed' LDS. I think a federal Judge ruled the Utah people were, in his opinion, the reformed branch as the people in Missouri was the 'true' LDS group. Maybe all that happened in a different string universe that I temporarily crossed into for a brief moment. No doubt, this was settled somewhere, or maybe that is why the RLDS now calls itself The Community of Christ.

Posted by: Uncle Dale ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 06:19PM

There actually was one instance when Joseph III referred
to the Saints he led as the "reformed Mormon church." But he
was obviously speaking from a non-technical, descriptive
stance, and was not using a term that was ever popular
among the Reorganized LDS.

I recall attending a class at Graceland Univerity in which
we were emphatically warned NOT to use the JST for any
teaching or doctrinal purposes -- that the MOST it might
ever properly be utilized for was a personal commentary;
and that even as a commentary on the scriptures it was
unreliable, outdated and full of misleading material.

I wonder if Community of Christ seminarians nowadays use
the JST as anything, other than maybe for a doorstop.

Uncle Dale

Posted by: pandora ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 06:29PM

Because God didn't really tell Joe anything:)

Posted by: SuperBigGulp ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 09:44AM

Perhaps God felt that Joe was out of shape. He was getting fat and needed a good workout. Golden Plates buried for 1500 years would be fairly deep underground, one would think. At least 10-20 feet.. perhaps more.

Digging even a 10 ft hole into the ground with a shovel would be a strenuous workout for any man.

I think God just wanted Joe to get his fatass in shape, that's all..

GOD: Joe, your ass is getting rather fat. I could tell you to fix the bible and add the passages about Jews coming to America, but you need to cut some weight. Therefore, I am going to instruct my angel to tell you to dig a 10 ft hole in the ground and then hoist up some 60lb plates buried in a box with some magic sunglasses. Got it, fat boy?

Joe: Sir, yes sir. I'll need to be in pretty good shape anyway if I am going to have 33 wives. They will keep me busy behind closed doors.

GOD: Yes indeed, my young Prophet. You are very wise.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.