Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 04:23PM

in a few hours time?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 04:38PM

Entirely likely since their church forbids birth control and there is likely to be a lot of celebration sex. Honey the pope is an Italian from Argentina, lets get busy.

Date: March 13, 2013 04:49PM

Well, he's really from Africa applying your standard.

But there will be lots of protected sex. Most Catholics ignore stuff they don't like with no consequences. Pretty groovy.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 04:50PM

Yup, Catholics use birth ccontrol in the same numbers as non Catholics

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 04:56PM

His parents are Italian, it does seem a bit silly to say that a man whose parents are Italian isn't Italian. As far as birth control, while Europen and North American Catholics are more than willing to break ranks, South American Catholics are not. With the ironic exception being Argentina.

Date: March 13, 2013 05:00PM

I guess we can see what Argentinans are saying. One of their own? Or Italian?

Anyways, its bad news for the morg in South America.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 03:21AM

Argentina is probably as ethnically diverse as America. It's a melting pot country. They care no more were his parents are from, then we would, if he had grown up in Boston.

Posted by: southernutah ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 12:42AM

that not true , Argentinians and Uruguayan do pretty much what the want with respect to birth control

Posted by: Brazilian Mary ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 06:38AM

Argentina is not the only country where Catholics do what they want. Catholics in Brazil pick and choose what they want to obey too.

They use birth control (except for very poor ones who cannot afford it or are unawere of it), they have tons of premarital sex, women abort even if it's illegal etc etc etc etc.

And there are even millions of Catholics who also attend spiritualist sessions, African-Brazilian religions - something that Rome abhors, but Brazilians don't care.

Posted by: Jobim ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 02:18PM

Brazilian Mary, I'm also Brazilian and you're right on about birth control and spiritualist religions. I'm one of them. Born and raised Catholic, I never even considered not using birth control, and when I started really paying attention to the Church's teachings, I abandoned catholicism and started attending Spiritism lectures. But many many do indeed attend both religions, or other afro-brazilian religions, and they don't care. There are even priests who channel spirits during mass, everyone knows what's happening, but nobody complains. The church pretends it doesn't happen either, because many people here, even the catholics , regard this kind of phenomenon as just a fact of life.

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 02:26PM

I wouldn't call Francis Italian because his parents are Italian. Our prime minister here in Belgium is the gay son of Italian heteros. That doesn't make him Italian any more than it makes him straight.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 02:47PM

All those "Italians" were born in New Jersey and couldn't speak Italian except for handful of Sicilian slang.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Argentine

For nearly a century from 1850 to 1950, 45% of immigrants to Argentina were from Italy, followed by 31% from Spain. Not coincidentally, both were lead by Fascists for part of the 20th C. Up to 60% of Argentines claim some Italian background.

Famous Italian-Argentines: Juan Peron, Gabriella Sabitini, Manu Ginobelli, Guillermo Vilas, Guillermo Coria, and Gastón Gaudio.

Posted by: anon for now ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 09:16PM

How many of those are active? How many go to church every Sunday? I highly doubt all 14 million are super devout---there's got to be so-called 'cafeteria Catholics' in that number.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 09:24PM

I'm a Christmas 'n' Easter Catholic myself. We definitely pick and choose our adherence to doctrine and practice, as do most Catholics I know. And nobody I know really believes that the Pope is infallible either, FWIW.

Personally, I just love all the pomp and circumstance. Woot! Go Pope Francis!!

;o)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2013 09:27PM by shannon.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 05:42AM

Catholics don't view activity levels the same way Mormons do. The "twice a years" will still consider themselves to be Catholic, as will the church. Hence the "come home for Easter" messages that you see on TV.

Cafeteria Catholic is probably the norm. There is almost no way for the church to impose doctrinal conformity.

Posted by: Boilermaker ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 07:56AM

The Catholic Church might consider those who go to church only twice a year Catholic, but the teaching of the Catholic Church is that missing mass on Sunday and on holy days of obligation without a good reason is a mortal sin that will send you to hell if you don't confess it to a priest.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 12:08PM

Again, I say . . . nobody pays attention to that stuff.

Only Mormons freak out about letter-of-the-law holy rules.

;o)

Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 12:43AM

ah hell. i'm in.

i'm catholic now too.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:16AM

Catholic church panders to "areas of growth" just like LDS. Follow the money...

"what a surprise, what a cliche..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODqj9Mq39FM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.