Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 04:24PM

I just got home from work - just a quick skimming of my facebook newsfeed seems to suggest my TBM friends are feeling a bit sour about the entire world is watching the election and introduction of the new Pontiff. I remember that back in 2005 they were just as butthurt when the world stood still and watched the light in the Papal apartment as John Paul II lay dying.

Jealousy turns a lot of people off, but I suppose it's also telling of the mindset of many TBMs. They are so desperate to be accepted and respected, but become so immature and sour when someone else gets the recognition they feel they deserve. I remember back when John Paul II was dying, I got instant updates about his health. I was glued to the TV and was moved at watching St. Peter's Square packed with pilgrims, wishing their leader well as he started the next phase of his journey. Compare that to when GBH passed - I don't think I learned about it until 2 months later...not because I wasn't interested, but because no one outside of Utah or your neighborhood LDS Meeting House cares. When Benedict and Francis were elected, they were introduced to crowds of millions, watching and listening around the world. When Tom Monson was elected, it was done quietly, with only a press conference to announce the change in leadership...much like the election of a new CEO to a semi-large company.

I don't think this is because of any persecution like most Mormons would probably like for you to believe - I think it's because Mormons bring nothing to the table. Their charity efforts are focused only on their members and shopping malls (and of course, charity toward the church), while the Catholic Church runs homeless shelters, hospitals, schools, soup kitchens, etc. around the world. I know that a lot of people on this board hate the Catholic Church for some of its views and recent scandals involving the clergy - I respect those views and am not trying to start a debate or change them. I'm saying that when you try to improve the condition of your fellow man without expecting anything (tithing) in return, people take notice.

I wish the new pope well. He is taking over the helm of a church in need of repair. I'm not a fan of some of his views, but recognize he has the chance to become a force of overwhelming good.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 04:30PM

The new Pope apparently lived in a small apartment, took public transportation - lived a simple life.

Quite a contrast.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 04:38PM

The world needs more people like that...I'm not saying that that makes him a saint on earth, but it does help him stay grounded. Take a ride on a city bus or train sometime - you will see real people, many of whom have real problems. He doesn't get shuttled around by a private driver in a BMW with tinted windows, he rides with every day people (and I have to imagine that in Argentina, the public transit system makes most inner-city transit systems here look like the lap of luxury). I'd challenge Tom Monson and his merry band of miscreants to hop on a city bus next time they are in a poorer area like Detroit, Cleveland, etc. The experience might give you a better insight into the lives of the people you claim to be serving.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:37PM

I hope Pope Francine I doesn't continue living in a small apartment or take the bus. If he does, he'll either be picked up as a drag queen, or shot.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 07:08PM

He's got a lot of work ahead of him. The Vatican bank is rife with corruption, the bureaucracy is decades if not centuries behind the times in the running of the business that is the RCC.

Ron Burr

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 07:11PM

So are American banks and presumably banks of other countries. I agfrr that the Vatican bank is corrupt, but that hardly seems unusual for banks.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 07:46PM

The cardinals (purposefully) elected a pope that will take on the Curia like a lion spying fresh meat. Sit back and watch the fur fly.

In terms of relating to the masses, I've already heard one person compare him to John the XXIII. That would be a very good thing indeed.

Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 12:09AM

I was hoping for another John 23rd... but Im concerned about his record on gay marriage. It is promising though that he has already broken with several traditions...

Posted by: flyboy ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 11:45PM

I would also ponder his choice of a name. Francis as in "of Assisi." That, by itself, speaks volumes about the man.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 02:05AM

St Francis of Assisi - the one who wanted to take a broom to the whole religious institution and sweep out 99% of the fol-de-rol.

I wish the new Pope well.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 12:12AM

does anyone have word of the new Ward Clerk of Rome?

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:53AM

I like this new pope, probably because I've always had a lot of respect for the highly educated Jesuits.

Taking the name of San Francisco is certainly a good beginning, he will try to do good.
Chances are high that he will be as respected as Pope John was.

Posted by: jl ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 08:14AM

The battle between the papacy and the Curia is....ON.....

With the secret "document" submitted to Benedict, which Benedict decided to leave it to the new pope, and with the new people's anti-government stance, the battle (and the show) is definitely on........

Posted by: Good Witch ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 10:43AM

I certainly do not agree with Pope Francis on many things not even dealing with theology (I'm Wiccan), but I certainly respect the fact that he would not live in the ArchBishop's manor, saying that he would not live so, when so many of his people went to bed hungry.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.