Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 08:09PM

Link to original article to follow...

My (sarcastic) post:

“If we want your opinion, we’ll give it to you.”

Congratulations, sir. You nailed the title!

This is exactly the same totalitarian, oppressive message that the Mormon authorities deliver time and time again to their followers. Thank you so much for shining some light on their dictatorial treatment of “blue-collar” Mormons, whose opinions are rarely consulted regarding important issues like gay rights etc.

Rather, the message is always the same: we will give you your opinion and foster a culture that makes intellectual disagreement unspeakably evil (to say nothing of research into dissenting opinions etc.–see Elder Cook, who demands that those who research Mormonism on the Internet and encounter credible but opposing information must repent, as if we live in some kind of North Korean dystopia).

Thank you again for you insightful distillation of this issue into such a pithy, cutting, and revealing dictum. Keep ‘em coming!

His response:

It’s absurd to compare a voluntary religious association that’s freely entered and freely exited and that has and claims no coercive power to a totalitarian state such as North Korea, with its closed borders studded with minefields, its labor camps, and its mass starvation.

Your rhetoric has gotten the better of you, and make you look rather silly.

But it’s touching, in a pathetic sort of way, to read your expression of faith that blue-collar Mormons (or, for that matter, blue-collar anybody) would, on the whole, be more sympathetic to homosexuals than are the leaders of my church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 08:09PM

patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2013/03/if-we-want-your-opinion-well-give-it-to-you.html

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 08:18PM

it's down to Denial and Ash to make me laugh.

Good to know they still have it.

Posted by: Cantdoit ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 09:20PM

Peterson is a fuckhead! Why people list to this jackass is beyond me...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.