Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 11:36PM

I watched this youtube video about temple garments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75malIL-R6k

Around the 4:30 minute mark, the narrator says that early mormons would have the temple garment marks actually cut into their skin so they would have permanent scars bearing these marks.

I've never heard this before and wanted to see if this is fact or fiction. Anyone know?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 11:50PM

Yeah, it's true. The early temple was all kinds of freaky.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 11:54PM

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 12:20AM

Cutting to the Chase: The Actual Physical Slicing of the Secret Mormon Garments (and Scarring of Temple-Goer Flesh) During Those Primitive Endowment Years (more damning details)--

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,717519,717519#msg-717519

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2013 12:20AM by steve benson.

Date: March 14, 2013 09:48AM

There is little now that would surprise me about church history

Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 12:08AM

This is just sick and I sincerely hope it is a rumor, although I actually do remember hearing it mentioned in the past, just in passing though, I have no details. I hope I am hallucinating/imagining/remembering things that never happened. Otherwise, it is just one more way TSCC has destroyed people's minds.

I have a daughter that went through a period of cutting. It wasn't pretty. Fortunately, she's over that now, it wasn't easy and it wasn't pretty getting through it, for any of us. From my perspective, it seems like anyone who fell into this had some serious personal issues to begin with.

Anytime anyone wants to cut anything into their skin and feels like pain is the only way to prove their worthiness or belonging, that is a serious emotional problem. It makes me physically ill to think that anyone would think this is a way to show their devotion and get closer to God, although I know there are many historical precedents. Yuck.

I would say though, that compassion for anyone who is dealing with any version of this is really, really important. It's a major problem affecting a huge amount of people so I hope that we can all be aware of it and compassionate and supportive for anyone who is dealing with any version of it individually or institutionally.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 09:49AM

At least it is not a tattoo or second earring.

Posted by: vulcanrider ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 11:09AM

While strange, why is this any different than those guys and gals you see with their frat/sorority symbols branded on each arm? It's another (albeit out there, IMHO) body modification is all...

Date: March 14, 2013 11:11AM

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2013 11:13AM by steve benson.

Posted by: vulcanrider ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 11:35AM

No Steve, not a defense, a comment on current times in relation to what even you discussed in your previous on this issue (which was excellent BTW). They did it back then based on a belief that it was necessary to identify themselves to other Mormons, just as the Masons did to identify themselves to other Masons. My only observation was to point out that the same thing occurs today, these kids get themselves permanently branded to identify themselves to others.

There was no intent to justify the actions, I wouldn't have done it then and I sure as hell wouldn't do it now, but there's no denying it happened and continues to. And I'm the last one to defend anything about TSCC, believe me. I'm still not over all the crap they did to me...

Date: March 14, 2013 11:58AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2013 11:58AM by steve benson.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:57PM

Yep. Childish and groupthinky and manipulative.

Date: March 14, 2013 11:21AM

I think people have different expectations and standards between frat boys and god himself. How many people do you know today that after converting to mormonism and receiving your endowment, would stick around after being sliced and diced in the temple?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.