Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: psychobabble ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:30AM

Did anyone discover new, amazing music after you left TSCC that you were afraid to listen to before because it "wasn't conducive to the holy spirit?"

When I was in high school the whole 'grunge' thing was going on, and I remember being scared of that music because it was too loud and there were swear-words, references to sexual things, etc.

Later on after being 'liberated' I went back and re-discovered bands like

Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden

So good!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:39AM

Yep, those are some good bands! I felt like I had to abandon good music in order to be a "good mormon." Sucked and it didn't take.

Posted by: Darkfem ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:43AM

Pearl Jam is on tour this summer!!!

Posted by: rd4jesus ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:47AM

I'd listen to whatever I wanted anyway, but you're right, I don't feel guilty now. I've recently discovered "The Pixies" who were a large influence on Nirvana. Check out "Caribou" or "Where is My Mind" by The Pixies.

Posted by: Dallin A. Chokes ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 09:35PM

Got to see the Pixies when they did their last tour--they played "Doolittle" all the way through, then played some b-sides. Such a great show. I missed seeing them before they first broke up in the 90s.

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 02:41AM

I never had this problem, fortunately. Despite being BIC, I began listening to bands in the late '70s as a little kid. My older sister was to blame. Of course, my parents hated it. I found it curious when I was a few years older (6-7 years old or so) that I wasn't so much in trouble with my mom for listening to say something like Van Halen, but something like Judas Priest was absolutely off limits.

Posted by: rd4jesus ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 02:48AM

When I was about 12 years old I wanted to buy Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band (That's a Beatles album in case you didn't know). My Grandfather (who helped raise me) refused to buy it because "The Beatles were a bunch of druggies." Like listening to their music would make me turn into a druggie too. When my mom got remarried and moved out of my Grandfather's house, I bought all the Beatles albums. I've never used anything harder than alcohol. I've never done any illegal substance. Yeah, there you go Grandpa, your theory is shot!

Posted by: davidlkent ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 03:35PM

Grandpa didn't need to watch The Yellow Submarine to know he was a blue meanie.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 03:17PM

Once again the issue is not the music. The issue, as always, is mind control!!!

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 03:32PM

I discovered Jazz and classic rock. The thing that turned me on to Jazz was seeing Charlie Watson live in a KC jazz club.

Posted by: builttospill ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 07:47PM

um ...built to spill...but I never had a music filter even as a TBM...If you were one of "those" Mormons I see why your world was turned upside down while mine only went sideways when the shelf broke-

Posted by: Dallin A. Chokes ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 09:38PM

Love "Randy Describes Eternity". I think the title "Perfect From Now On" really described how I perceived repentance/sin.

I really like "Keep it Like a Secret", too.

Posted by: Santa Claus ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 09:41PM

Parents luckily let me listen to whatever I wanted. Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Blue Cheer, Jimi Hendrix, Ozzy Osbourne, Kiss, Scorpions, AC/DC, etc., etc. Used my dad's reel-to-reel all the time to crank it up. I'm taking my 22 yr old son to Rush at usana this july - Clockwork Angels.

Posted by: builttospill ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 09:59PM

...you are officially my favorite poster in this forum...and fetch, I am going to be perfet starting now!...although "Made up dreams" fits the theme nicely as well.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.