Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rd4jesus ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 03:36AM

When I was 18 I worked with a Jackmo who smoked, drank coffee, and beer. He really wanted to go through the temple but had a hard time breaking his habits. When I finally went through he asked me seriously if I saw angels. I thought he was joking. I told him no to which he replied, "I know you're not supposed to talk about what goes on in there."

A few years later, he cleaned up his act and got himself a recommend. He went through and didn't see any angels. He got really upset about this and thought maybe he was not worthy. I'm not sure what happened to him, but I'm pretty sure he went back to his cigarettes, beer, and coffee after that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: psychobabble ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 03:58AM

Usually I have to get to beer #8 or so before I start to see angels. :D

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 04:28AM

My TBM sister in law still swears that she saw an angel at the temple. Near the entrance counter where they check your recommend, of all places!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 07:08AM

...the LDS legend that angels guard the temples to keep out the unworthy.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 07:14AM

An old white man dressed in white clothes perhaps? Yeah I've seen 'em too. They also tend to extend their hands and I always obliged with a handshake.

Posted by: Ha! ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 04:42AM

to make sure you're not a demon.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 08:15AM

I have a friend who said she heard shouts of Heavenly joy, every time she came up out of the water when she did baptisms for the first time.

She left the Church before I did (she actually did leave because she was offended), so I'm wondering why that didn't have a bigger impact on her and her testimony.

I think that these experiences somehow get embellished in the telling of them. I should ask her about that someday.

Posted by: jl ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 08:22AM

Well, read the following remarks by one of the current Big 15, Richard G. Scott:

Sometimes when I hear a choir during a temple dedicatory service, I experience a feeling so sublime that it elevates my heart and mind. I close my eyes, and more than once, in my mind, I have seen an inverted cone of individuals beginning at the temple and rising upward. I have felt that they represent many spirits waiting for the vicarious work to be done for them in that sanctuary, rejoicing because finally there is a place that can free them from the chains that hold them back in their eternal progress.

See, if Dick could see "in [his] mind," "more than once," many spirits rising upward from the temple, then seeing something supernatural in a temple setting HAS TO be believable, right? (wink, wink)

Date: March 14, 2013 08:44AM

Passing through the veil was a huge letdown. This is it? All that buildup, all the stories, all the promises of sacred wonder, all that...stuff I just did in the other rooms...and I'm just in another room? One that they're ushering me out of?

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 05:29PM

Too bad you missed the breast-to-breast body hug together with the adjustment for a tighter hold so that a more complete body hug was accomplished (groin-to-groin) with the bad-breathed grinning old guy.

It made it really meaningful.

Anagrammy

Date: March 14, 2013 05:41PM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 06:12PM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 06:17PM

if I hadn't made it to the temple. No matter what else I could see and hear about it, I had to experience it. No secrets left. The 3-hour block is better than going to the temple.

I've told this story before. My ex's last boyfriend was a convert and helped to convert his older brother. His older brother worked for about 30 years to take his Russian wife to the temple. They went to the temple and never went back to the LDS church. He said it was the stupidest thing he had ever witnessed.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 09:06AM

I was disappointed I never saw the Dodgers.

You know, back when ticket prices weren't so outrageous.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 09:44AM

Same for me. I wasn't sure if there would be angels, but I fully expected that I would feel and experience the presence of the Lord, but there was only fear, bewilderment, and dread.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 10:16AM

I heard a story in the MTC that Hinckley once stood out in front of the Provo temple looking towards the MTC and could see a wall of angels surrounding the MTC with satan's minions desperately trying to get in, but these militant looking angels would stand their ground and no evil spirits could penetrate into the MTC.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 10:33AM

I hung out with alot of Mormons in SLC and many of them claim to see beings everywhere. Mostly women telling me this. Same things as described above; columns, choirs, legions...

Must be pretty cool, if true...

Posted by: formerly stupid ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:44PM

When they tell you it's "so sacred you can't talk about it" I assumed with 95% certainty that was code for "You will see Jesus in there." What else could be "so sacred?" It made sense to me that they didn't want people stampeding the place if word got out that Jesus hung out there. I was soooooooooooooooooooooo mad that, not only did I not get to see Jesus, but I did a bunch of humiliating and creepy, cultish things that nobody had warned me about and then the big finale was just sitting in what looked like a gaudy hotel lobby with people shushing me (but at least I got to be fully dressed in that room and no one was touching me, which I guess did make it one of the high points of the day).

I went in with big expectations and came out royally ticked off! I didn't get to have Jesus fix all my nagging doubts, I didn't feel it was a sacred experience, and I felt like I had fallen for some sleazy, bait-and-switch used car salesmanship and now I was stuck wearing garments for the rest of my life. The temple and all the "so sacred we can't talk about it" hype was the beginning of the end for me!

Posted by: WakingUpVegas ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 02:29PM

I had this exact same thought process. I figured if not Jesus, at least angels. Why else would everyone be so hush-hush about the whole thing?

After a freaky first endowment session, I was so ready to go into the celestial room, which I had been told was the absolute holiest place ever. I figured this is where the angels were. Nope! Just a really white room with tacky furniture. Oh, and workers rushing you out the door after 5 minutes.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:48PM

Studying cognitive neuroscience a bit, I discovered that "seeing things" is a common human experience. If you really want to, obsess about it long enough and are suggestible, you can see just about anything you want to, and Mormons really want to see angels and spirits.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 05:16PM

I've never been in the temple, but I can see its angles.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 05:20PM

If you can't make it, fake it. My mother used to put on a big act at the temple. When we walked in the door at the Washington DC temple, mom stopped and said "Did you feel that? I just felt a thrill that went through my body from my head down to my toes." It was embarrassing.

I wonder what kinds of other theatrics temple workers see.

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 05:23PM

I kept thinking 'so what's the further knowledge and enlightenment?' when I'd arrived in the C room.
Someone told me it was 'personal revelations'
that made me think 'What? I can get those about anywhere, even while I'm busy in the bathroom. So what's the big deal?...'

Posted by: popeyes ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 05:26PM

Old JS sees God, Jesus, Peter, James and John, Moroni, Elijah, John the Baptist and I believed it. Nobody has seen squat since. Amazing.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 06:10PM

No angels for me either.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 06:30PM

When I was younger I did see a figure in the temple when my family went to get sealed. I still don't have an explanation.

I know what I saw, but I have no idea who or what it was. Or why it happened.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 11:35PM

This is a facepalm moment for me. Very embarrasing, but I'll share anyway.

In the temple here there isn't a grand staircase as in others. We have escalators. At the tops of the escalators, there are 2 chairs. I have never ever, ever seen anybody even think of sitting down there, but I'm sure there is an oldster that needs to rest after an escalator ride.

Anyway, every time (and I mean it) I would get to the top of the escalator and walk past the empty chair into the hallway, I'd look at where a head would be if an angel was sitting in the chair and......I would wink.

O
M
G

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2013 11:37PM by Levi.

Posted by: chris ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 01:10AM

That's hilarious.

Posted by: DonQuijote ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 04:02AM

LOL I did the same thing when I smiled at the empty benches next to the baptismal font where they said the dead people were supposed to sit to wait their turn.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 05:25AM

Yes, the cult hacks at LDS Inc and their MORmON stooge followers do everything they can to give the impression that something divine is going to happen in the Hell House MORmON temple. It gives a very lofty expectation. I am glad that some one else noticed this!

In reality, a person ends up getting molested and having their life threatened while promising to give up everything they have to LDS inc as LDS inc demands it. thats the MORmON version of
* endowment * !

Stupid ass MORmONS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLLaJLX0EFM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.