Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 11:52AM

Our SP has very recently adjusted his position from somewhat ignoring the BoM musical, to now actively telling members not to watch it because it's 'rude, irreverent and therefore highly inappropriate'.

Of course I should heed this divinely inspired directive, but as it happens I've had tickets booked for about 3 months now and I'm off to see this tonight with a TBM friend!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 11:58AM

Sounds like you SP actually went to see it. Now he's offended.

Posted by: justrob ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 03:23PM

He must've been masturbating, or the spirit would have warned him before hand ;)

Posted by: lydia ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 11:58AM

There was an interview here with the writers and I had to smile when they said that Mormons do go and see the musical - a laugh caught in their voices as they then said - a certain type of Mormon!!
I intend to go and see it as soon as I can get tickets. Think people need to keep a sense of humour - after all can anyone actually argue with the points made?

Posted by: rd4jesus ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 02:19PM

My friend downloaded it off a bit torrent site and showed it to me at work. It's hilarious. It could actually be faith promoting. I think the SP is an idiot to say anything about it.

Date: March 14, 2013 02:32PM

Yeah he is. We used to be good friends, that is until I found out that he had outed me to a mutual friend of ours on the golf course following a previous private conversation when I declined a bishopric calling. I only found out when the mutual friend deemed it just fine to approach my wife for more details of my 'apostacy' before I'd even told her of my disbelief at that point. Yep, it's the Mormon way.

I called the SP out on his poorly judged indiscretion. He apologised but of course the relationship had already been damaged.

Date: March 14, 2013 03:27PM

Wow. I know the church counsels leaders to be tight-lipped, which is good, but they need to punish violations.

I have been told WAY TMI by bishops not only as a member, but even as a non-member. If your religion requires you to pry into people's personal lives, the least you can do it not advertise it.

I have never heard of a priest listening to confessional and then telling people about it, even if all the names were changed.

Whereas I've had Bishops & SPs talk about people's transgressions over the pulpit, and often give out enough information that a decent subset of the members figure out exactly who he's talking about.

Even if their religion were true, they are violating a policy of propriety.

Posted by: Darkfem ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 02:51PM

That's interesting because I have the Playbill from the BoM musical I saw last week in front of me now.

It has three full-page ads sponsored, I'm assuming, by the Mormon Church.

Each ad is a photographic close-up of a smiling face, visually coded to perhaps subvert the way the play exposes the racism inherent in the BoM:

"I've read the Book," says a middle-aged white male, with nicely groomed goatee.

"The Book is always better," says a young Asian female.

"You've seen the play, now read the Book," says a young African American male.

Each page then directs people to thebookofmormon.org site.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 03:17PM

Ha. If anyone who has seen the play actually reads the book they are going to be so disappointed that there are no frogs.

Date: March 14, 2013 03:32PM

And Joseph Smith doesn't want to fuck a baby, either, right?

Date: March 14, 2013 03:39PM

I hope they do read the book.
Those adverts were written with a poor understanding of their audience.
...come to think of it, the BoM was just written with a poor understanding of any audience. It lacks a cogent plot to compel you to keep reading. It works as a reference tome ok, but as a contiguous narrative, it's awful.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 05:11PM

"the BoM was just written with a poor understanding of any audience." Well said, justrob.

Writing the book was an act of vanity by three big egos: Smith, Rigdon and Cowdery. They wrote it to exalt themselves, no time to consider the reader.

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 05:16PM

Not hardly. Mark Twain was right. Chloroform in print.

Posted by: davidlkent ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 03:33PM

Publicity is publicity.

Posted by: skeptifem ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 03:36PM

I guess he never heard of the streisand effect.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 05:22PM

Inappropriate! I love that word.

Posted by: lost+forgotten ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 05:28PM

And the ads cost how much? Paid with tithes and offerings no doubt..,

Date: March 14, 2013 05:45PM

According to playbill.com's advertising information, a full-page, 4-color ad in the national edition costs $240,937.00...

x3 = $722,811.00.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 09:41PM

OMG.

Is that per printing (ie: location) or once for the national tour?

$722,000 widow's mites.

Squandered.

This needs to be yapped about.

Edit, without actually talking to somebody, it would appear that they charge this per issue!

Also, Playbill isn't what is given out here in Seattle. That's another magazine entirely.

The tour this year is Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Boston, Toronto, Buffalo, Cleveland & Washington DC. If TSCC spends $350,000 each (i'll give them half off) they'll shell out 2.8 Million USD for these ads alone. Not counting what has already been published/spent.

How much does a well cost again?

Humanitarian aid, my fat ass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2013 10:01PM by Levi.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 05:34PM

Wait- what happened to "this humor is all part of the Mormon Moment. It shows people that Mormons can take a little ribbing, that we have a sense of humor...it has been getting the awareness out. People are interested in learning more about Mormonism--it's all so GOOOOOOD!

Anagrammy

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 09:24PM

"If you believe, the Lord will reveal it. And you'll know it's all true -- you'll just...feel it."

No caricature here. Just tell it like it is and you've got a show!

Date: March 14, 2013 08:27PM

It was indeed rude, irreverent and therefore highly inappropriate...... and I absolutely loved it.

TBM friend - who is probably the only broad minded member I could have taken - really enjoyed it overall, loved the 'I Believe' song but did admittedly find two of the numbers a little too much for him. If you've seen the show it will be pretty obvious which two.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 09:31PM

He should keep right on telling them not to see it. Younger members often then want to see it, as it's then forbidden fruit.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 10:16PM

How could they not want to see it. It's all about them, it's funny, and it spells out a lot of stuff they're thinking but have to keep to themselves.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 09:56PM

Stupid Cult.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.