Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rd4jesus ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 12:47PM

A few years ago I had some anger management issues. I went to my Bishop and got into LDS Family Services to get a therapist. I used to list to K-Love radio (A Christian rock station) on my way to work and on the way home sometimes. It had a calming effect and was uplifting as opposed to some of the rock I would listen to which would put me in a foul mood.

I told my therapist my reasons for listening to Christian rock and he made the comment that if I continued to listen to Christian rock I would likely lose my testimony.

So, I'm here to attest that it was the Christian rock station, K-LOVE that caused me to lose my testimony! ROFL!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 12:56PM

That rotten old churchy junk that sounds like a dirge from ĦƐⱢⱢ?? Or the serenade to blind obedience, or maybe one of the gr8 baby-brainwash ditties.

Bleah.

Posted by: southern should login ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:09PM

Heh, i remember we (baptist family) werent allowed to listen to DC Talk because it was too hard rockish or something. Im not even a christian any more but i still love me some Jars of Clay...

Posted by: justsayin ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:13PM

Love DC Talk and Jars of Clay. Yeah, the mormons are afraid their kids might start having too much fun with some upbeat music....

Posted by: Rowell back ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:26PM

We were helping some cousins move into a new house and I found a Metallica CD the prior owners had left behind. My aunt grabbed it and determined quickly that it must be thrown away. I asked if I could keep it if they didn't want it. She said no because she didn't want me to have a "spirit problem".

A few months after that I bought a Metallica t shirt and made sure to wear it to their house every time I visited.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:35PM

Well, which album was it?

Posted by: ava ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 04:52PM

There are many caveats. The person may or may not be a licensed professional. They can just be CES employees who need extra $$. All they really need to know are the scriptures, right?

I have heard some people with positive experiences. A clock is right twice a day. Also - there are of course people who go to professional therapists and have bad experiences, so ymmv. I would much rather trust a licensed professional to change the brakes on my car AND as a therapist.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 05:15PM

I had a blowhard missionary give me a stern rebuke for the mix-CD I was listening to while they were in the car with me (Boston, Eagles, Foghat, KISS, etc). He told me that if I wouldn't soften my heart and remove the CD to "welcome the spirit" into the car, he would rather walk. He quickly changed his tune when I pulled off the the side of the highway and gave him a blank stare. Needless to say, the OTHER Elders and I had a great time rocking out to "Slow Ride" the rest of the way!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 05:22PM

Love those rock groups, sparty. "Slow Ride" sounds like a perfect soundtrack for the fuming mishie.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 07:03PM

Their priority is your testimony? Not your well being?

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 12:00AM

Underscores the point that LDS Family Services is not there for YOU but they are there for THEM.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.