Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mojointx ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 12:58PM

I have been studying mormonism for a while now, and I learn something (horrifically) new everyday. Yesterday, I learned that the mormon church doesn't want their members getting together for independent scripture study. I'm wondering if that is totally a cultic thing because for the first time in my life, I am in a church where the pastor doesn't want our members getting together at each other's houses for Bible study, and he sends spies to our group and warns people away from us. Does ANY mainstream or legitimate church do this? After 30+ years of freedom in Christ, I am not about to give that up for an over-controlling pastor. It is just getting weirder out there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Good Witch ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:12PM

My opinion: You need to stay away from any pastor who is that controlling.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:15PM

Since the scriptures lend themselves to being interpreted any which way used to support any point of view, they are basically useless. Why would you waste your time.

Your pastor and the Mormon church and many others all want to insure people are interpreting the scriptures there way.

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:21PM

No. Mainstream religions have agreements where they honor the creditionals of other/similar denominations. You may have been ordained in the UCC, but can accept a call from a Presbyterian congregation.

they accept that members of their congregation are free to come and go as they choose, leaving for another church or denomination all together.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.