Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: DeludedAngel's DH ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 02:07PM

As an exmormon agnostic, I find it funny how many christians often point to some teachings of the mormon church such as separate members in the Godhead, the first vision, modern day prophets etc as being so strange.

While I was a member, I often felt that these beliefs were ridiculed by christians. Yet they believe in the trinity, virgin birth, noahs ark, water into wine, resurrection etc. Its like mainstream christians believe that their "old established miracles" are indisputable but the new mormon miracles are crazy even though god appearing to man, polygamy, prophets are found throughout the old testament.

Today, I believe that religions survive because of parental and peer pressure. Like the emperor's clothes, most people who are surrounded by devout family and friends do not want to rock the boat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 02:25PM

"Fundamentalist christian apologists are people who throw stones at Mormonism when there are grenades available. They avoid the grenades because both them and the silly Mormons are standing on the same mountain of gunpowder."

-ForbiddenCokeDrinker

Yeah, it amazes me when people poke fun at fairy tales when their particular fairy tale is just as strange..

Posted by: DeludedAngel's DH ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 02:41PM

very good analogy.

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 08:25AM

Jon stewart did a bit once on his show that made me laugh about this. Went something like (pardon the paraphrase).

those mormons believe god gave JS some golden plate with his word on it that were buried in a hill. so crazy! we all know it was moses with stone tablets and a burning bush!

That inspired me to say this on facebook:

scientologists believe a guy an alien overlord named xenu is responsible for life on earth, thats so crazy we all know the guy was named Elohim and came from kolob!

I went back and searched for my post on that topic, nowhere to be found. can fb delete your posts?

Posted by: DeludedAngel ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 09:40PM

I remember seeing that! It's possible that someone reported it and Facebook may have deleted it but I would have thought they would have sent you something to let you know that you'd been reported.

Posted by: Thomas $. Monson ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 11:20AM

sparkyguru Wrote:

>
> That inspired me to say this on facebook:
>
> scientologists believe a guy an alien overlord
> named xenu is responsible for life on earth, thats
> so crazy we all know the guy was named Elohim and
> came from kolob!
>
>
> I went back and searched for my post on that
> topic, nowhere to be found. can fb delete your
> posts?

Yes, most likely they reported your post.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 11:43AM

How come nothing big happens now? Bible times had a big flood, parting of a sea, Walls falling down, people getting their languages mixed up, etc. All we get is crickets.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 12:00PM

You have to remember that the mainstream Christian churches have a lot of commonalities. That's why they normally accept each other's baptisms as being valid. As a Catholic, I could walk into a Lutheran, Methodist, or Episcopal church and find a lot to relate to.

Mormonism has enough differences to leave mainstream Christians scratching their heads. Modern prophets? Joseph Smith? Golden plates? Jesus Christ in the Americas? It's just a very different mythology from what they are used to. It does seem strange to them. It makes Mormons not seem a part of the "club" as they know it.

Mormons used to take a lot of pride in those differences, in being a "peculiar people."

Posted by: rusty123 ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 12:13PM

Its amazing how desperately the Mormon church is trying to fit in now with the world.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.